All reviews missed breakfast cranachan basic room great room culloden battlefield rooms are clean stayed for two nights lovely breakfast car park pleasant stay would stay again poached eggs yogurt outskirts
Reviewed 10 December 2005

Stayed at the Smithton Hotel for the third time. We really enjoy it here, and find the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, and the food good, especially breakfast! Yeah, the entertainment from the bars can be heard in the rooms at times, but this is the same in most hotels. The thing to do would be to go down and join in, have a good time! We have no complaints about the place, anyway.

Date of stay: November 2005
2  Thank Cosmopolitan24552
Reviewed 15 March 2005

Room was larger than expected, room was well appointed and the ensuite was in mint condition. The two bars on the ground floor of the hotel are very good and the owners, locals and staff are all very friendly, you will never feel alone.
I would recommend their breakfast to anyone. It still goes down as the best breakfast I have had in a British Hotel. I cannot wait to go back in the summer.

Date of stay: November 2004
4  Thank Footprints21250
Reviewed 14 August 2004

Booked the hotel on the internet. Unfortunately it was of a very basic standard. Set in the middle of a housing estate and was used extensively by the locals. Breakfast ok but dinner was a once only experience.
We were booked for 6 nights but had to move out after 3. Two nights we were subjected to very loud music from the bar, one of which was a karaoke evening. Our room was directly above and the floor was vibrating from the speakers below. The swearing from the bar was also impossible to ignore.
The room had decor from the 70's. We had an ensuite which had a crack in the basin. There were no fire regulations posted in the room.
On a positive note the owners and staff were charming.

5  Thank Hook_7
Reviewed 1 June 2003

Booked into hotel for weekend to see eclipse, and enjoyed ourselves very much. There was a wedding on in the lounge bar, so we spent the evening in the public bar, next door, and what a laugh we had with the local clientele in there. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes an informal atmosphere, with friendly staff, nice rooms, and not a stuffy, snooty hotel.

3  Thank Scenic37668
Reviewed 9 December 2002

I stay at the Smithton every month or so, and it's a great place. What a change from the corporate identical hotels I have to stay in on other trips.
I can't think of anything to say against the place, except that maybe after a night downing a few with the locals in the bar, the breakfast is too much before I have to start my calls the next day!!

3  Thank Getaway7366