All reviews new owners john o'groats red wine pie recommend this hotel to anyone evening meal small hotel lovely meal next morning great stopover day trip smoked haddock orkney ferry main building local produce booked a table fish and chips warm welcome
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Wonderfully comfortable hotel in Mey, just across the road from the Castle and well placed for day trips to Orkney from nearby John O’Groats. Michael and Margaret are wonderful owners and couldn’t be more helpful. The food is excellent and the bar is well stocked and great for relaxing in at the end of the day.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2018

We had a lovely stay at the hotel as part of our Scotland roadtrip. The room had a lot of space with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was as new. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and would certainly recommend having dinner at the hotel!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Location:

Fairly isolated (not that that bothered me in the slightest) however, near to the Queen mother's castle in Mey. Incidentally, although it's a tourist attraction, Prince Charles was visiting, so it was off limits,

Accomodation:

Wonderful! A huge, massively comfortable double bed, mirrored cupboards, TV and a very generous sized bathroom with a decent shower. Soft carpets and a dressing table. The room was also just the right temperature and had a lovely, cosy feel to it.

Dining:

Yes please. My king prawn cocktail starter was generous and tasty. I had the haddock gratin for main, and while it was delicious and clearly home made, more effort could have been invested in the side, as I had simply a salad. This is a small comment, and aimed at perhaps encouraging a few more side options only. Breakfast was delicious, and instead of what often happens, with a bain-marie set up, where things become over cooked etc; it was all cooked to order, so arrived perfectly cooked.

Service:

Warm, friendly and a great laugh! Both the propritors (husband and wife) are lovely people, quick to laugh and slow to condemn. They take the lions share of the work, from booking you in, to showing you your room, to serving at the bar and cooking the food. They are a team, and handle a heavy burden, but make it seem effortless as they bounce off each other. The younger staff there are hard working, and do their best to meet their bosses expectations.

Value for money:

I must say that at 113 pounds, it was a little over priced. That being said, if you're wondering 'should I/shouldn't I' then I'd say 'should'. If there's one thing I've learnt from 10 days on the road, with 10 different hotels, is that I'd rather pay a little too much for somewhere great than a little less for somewhere where I feel my money has been wasted. Would I stay there again, on reflection, most definitely.

Overall:

Warm, welcoming and great food. Thanks you both and your staff, for a relaxing and cosy stay.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

A wonderful welcome from the guy in reception, who made us feel at home. Our room was in the main part of the hotel and even though we left the windows open all night, we didn’t hear a thing it was that quite.

Our room had no Wi-fi, but that wasn’t a problem, we used the Wi-fi in the bar area and had a strong signal.

The breakfast was cracking each morning, had a full Scottish breakfast and a small bowl of Scottish porridge and it set us up for the day.

We ate at the hotel for only two our of four night stay and we ate good hearty food, I’d recommend the hamburger or the haddock, but I’m sure the rest of the menu is stupendous.

Well this hotel won’t suit everyone, if your looking for a quite stay it’s highly recommendable.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

We went there for dinner and enjoyed our experience very much. A good menu of creative and local cuisine. We hab a gratin of smoked haddock and crab and a slow cooked beef in a red wine sauce. Both were excellent.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends