All reviews italian meal ironing board and iron ample wardrobe space other hotels would stay here again service lift the check in process third floor bed and breakfast higher standard dirty plates breakfast service nice resort flat screen steam room and sauna modern hotel aspects restaurant
Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Morlich as part of a business convention. The hotel is nice and certainly the dramatic mountain backdrop sets the scene as you first arrive.

The hotel itself has recently undergone a major refurb according to the staff, and on the whole the room itself was good. Liked the modern feel and subtle embracing of the rich Scottish heritage with the tartan furniture and blankets etc. Bed was comfortable although twins pushed together rather than standard double.

So why the low rating?
Not only was there no bar as such, there was also an unmanned reception. This meant anything you wanted you had to walk across to the next hotel. Although it makes me sound a bit over precious, I would expect a 4 star to have at least a member of staff, concierge or guest relations person in the foyer.

There was a restaurant o the ground floor, but often throughout the day there was no staff or anyone serving.

The room itself had no mini-bar or bath ... Beautiful shower, but sometimes it's nice to relax in a bath when away with work!

That said, conference facilities and all food served was good and staff at all times were friendly and approachable and certainly delivered the essence of hospitality on brand for MacDonald hotels to a discerning bunch of tourism professionals.

I did have a good stay and my room/experience was functional and a success. To make me return as s leisure guest though, I would expect more.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
General M, Manager at Macdonald Morlich Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. We do have rooms with baths. On your next visit please contact myself directly on lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally look after your reservation and ensure that your bedroom better suits your needs.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

My partner and I were looking forward to a well deserved break away. We had booked an Executive King in the refurbished Morlich Hotel. We arrived at 1pm (early) and the lovely man on reception told us he would hurry our room along and to come back at 3ish. Check in is at 4pm, a little late in my opinion. We enjoyed browsing the shop and having a little something to eat. The receptionist had changed and she gave us our keys. I was disappointed when we arrived to our room, as it was much smaller than advertised, freezing and it was a twin not an 'executive king'. I went back down to change room, and was rudely told that they would 'zip' the duvet together and it would make a king? I showed her a picture of what I had been expecting (a photo from their own website) she then said she could give us a 'slightly' bigger room or move us to another hotel, never addressing that we had been given the wrong room. We chose the bigger room as we had chosen to stay at this particular hotel. After over an hours wait (and after 4pm) we were given our new keys. The new room was EXACTLY what we had booked, so I have no idea why she made it out that it was such a hassle to give us our original booked room. Unfortunately the wait for the room and the rude, unprofessional receptionist put a dampener on the rest of the stay.

The room was lovely and the bathroom was clean and modern. Giovanni's was delicious, although noticeably understaffed- they all tried their best and were polite.
After dinner we went across to the bar...which was closed at 10pm on a Saturday. We could have walked to the Highlands Hotel, but it was cold and snowing and a bit of a pain.

This stay really disappointed me, and I am unsure that I would return. Considering this is a well established resort, which has been around for years, you would think they would train staff to a much higher standard (no mobile phones at front desk- common courtesy) and have enough staff to cover the amount of guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you are given the correct room, don't back down!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beca C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Our primary aim is to achieve and exceed our guest expectations and I am sorry to hear that we have failed on this occasion. The receptionist did mention to me regarding the issues that you experienced on check in and I have discussed with the Reservations Manager. Please accept my sincere apologies for these issues and I am sorry that it affected your stay.

Due to a receptionist calling in sick the person on reception on that particular day was a Duty Manager therefore carries a company mobile phone.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that you experienced and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

We stayed here as part of our skiing package and paid £163 per night including breakfast and dinner which was a bargain. The standard of the hotel was amazing. The food was exceptionally good in the Italian and the 'steak house'. The hotel staff were very friendly. <20mins to the Aviemore skiing area.
A real stunner. I would like to try more hotels of this chain to see if the standard is as high!?

Stayed: February 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I look forward to welcoming you back in the fututre.

Reviewed 29 November 2015 via mobile

The resort itself is like a university campus and not very attractive, we had a function in the conference centre therefore stayed at the nearest hotel which was the Mortlich, staff were friendly when they were there, but whole place seemed to be understaffed, our room was standard size for a modern hotel but was so full of furniture we could hardly move, the wardrobe was not even the depth of a hanger so had to remove an ironing board to hang up clothes, then I had to shuffle things to find somewhere to put the ironing board, the rooms have been refurbished and look beautiful nice bedding and upholstery but very sharp corners on the furniture (I got a couple of bruises, but fortunately no broken skin) don't think it has been thought through very well, I would have found it difficult to stay there more than 1 night and would look for somewhere else to stay, next visit to the area.
I must mention also, we had only tepid water and a shower that only dribbled, this seemed to be a common compliant amongst other occupants.
Breakfast looked great but again everything was cold, and very disorganised, two urns not marked so several dirty cups abandoned about the place as people realised they had coffee instead of tea, no condiments on the tables the restaurant was more like a canteen with long trestle tables, and not very nice, the walls were decorated with large pictures of people eating mouthfuls of food, even through into the reception area, which I found off putting and not pleasant to look at.
Only thing I liked about the whole place were the Xmas decorations which were beautiful.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elaine W
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Morlich Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I will look into these matters personally to ensure we fix the issues where possible.

I do apologise for any upset caused and hope we can welcome you back again...perhaps to the Highlands Hotel, our signature hotel on Resort.

Kind regards
Chris Wayne-Wills
Chief Executive Officer
Macdonald Aviemore Resort

Reviewed 5 November 2015

Very very disappointed with the attitude of staff at this cinema. Went to see the new James Bond film and the staff let a couple with a baby in a pram in. Now that wouldn't have been a problem is the child fell asleep but it grizzled and cried though the whole film. Someone talked to the mother but she was very nasty in reply and this mum stood at the door as we all left waiting for this lady who tried to get her to take the child out. This lady who complained then went to the reception desk to complain and the receptionist was so nasty. By this time there were are 6 or 7 of us ready to back her up.Didn't expect the receptionist to be so nasty and confrontational and we just left. A spoilt film and a very bad opinion of the hotel.Reception is the front line of the hotel and this young lady did not show the hotel in good light.

Room Tip: best go to the Hilton instead
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Morlich Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience whilst visiting our cinema. This is certainly not the service that we pride ourselves on providing. I will certainly be addressing this with the cinema team and reception.

On your next visit please contact Lindsey Randall, Operations Manager, directly on lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and she will be delighted to personally look after you.

Kind regards