“Late coffee turned into lunch”

Mountain Cafe Aviemore
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Aviemore
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 19
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Arrived at the very busy cafe (half term) and decided to wait for a table, Louise,front of house, offered us a pager (modern gizmo) so we could go shopping and be summoned when a table became available, it worked perfectly.The menu was creative and stimulating, and consequently hard to choose, I had the sweetcorn fritters which were full of flavour and Linda had the daily special a risotto which she thoroughly enjoyed.I was intrigued and impressed by the amount of effort put in to the menu for those with genuine allergies and fussy eaters.Don't forget quality good food takes time. If you want quick there's a Subway opposite!

Reviewed 11 February 2018

By the time we got a table we had missed breakfast. Not a great veggie choice so I ended up with their sandwich. Two slices of bread with some crisps on the side .....£7. Way overpriced. My friend had suggested we go somewhere else but we'd already waited about 40 mins. Would I go back....no.....but their cakes looked good.

1  Thank Cate019
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Went here recently for late lunch-early supper.Expectations were good as we had to wait on a table,so clearly popular.The reviews on the staircase on way up would back this theory as well.
Myself the wife and our young son were shown to our table.After a full 20 minutes and my wife stopping me from leaving we were offered drinks!! 5 minutes later they arrived and we ordered some food.2 steak flatbread and sausages for the wee man.It must have been at least another 20mins before our food arrived.
Now the room was full with approximately 30 customers all at various stages into their meal so I struggled to see the reason for any delay and was annoyed that there was no apology or explanation from the service staff during and after our meal.
The food here is modern,fresh and tasty, and locally sourced.The service however lets this place down.
45-50 minutes waiting for a can of juice and steak sandwich unfortunately puts us off going here again.

2  Thank 10pMixup
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for something to eat and drink as soon as we got to Aviemore. Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. Wonderful views of the Cairngorn mountains. Look to the ceiling and more items visible.

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited this recommended restaurant last week.
We had opted for a late lunch and arrived around 3pm. A waitress was at the top of the stairs chatting to a male staff member. I approached them and asked for a table for two ... without breaking their conversation they pointed to an empty table close by. I had spotted a self service counter so when I asked how it worked was told it was table service.
We waited for a few minutes and the the waitress came to take our order.
We decided to share a fish chowder with a savoury scone and ordered our own main courses , a glass of wine and a tea.This was all tapped into an iPad.. but it was obvious she wanted to return to her chat.
We sat for around 15 mins without anything at all but comforted ourselves in the fact the food was clearly cooked to order which was great although I did mention I thought the chowder would be pre prepared. The wine and tea arrived and a few more minutes past.
The waiter arrived with the chowder and the all day breakfast then the waitress arrived with my sweet corn fritters and toast for the breakfast... I did say to the waiter I hadn’t expected everything to arrive at once .... he didn’t say anything.. he just left.
As you can imagine juggling a large bowl of hot soup with 2 lovely hot main courses was neither easy practical or enjoyable.
The food was lovely so we carried on a bit flabbergasted and totally bemused.
We couldn’t finish the soup and didn’t even tackle the scone ... when we asked for the bill and the waitress came back ... I said to her we were really taken aback all the food came at once. She replied they didn’t really do ‘starters ‘ and main courses that’s why everything came together.. she did apologise and said she should have asked. I then apologised and said not to worry I should have been clearer ??? But why should I have ... this is ‘normal ‘ practice in restaurants.
It was a lovely place ... had fabulous cakes and goodies at the counter.. however we were less than impressed with the service and the ambiguity of the menu which could have been overcome if the waitress has taken the time to explain.
We purchased cakes to go and some fancy dressing... the bill was around £50.
This would be totally expected and accepted in any old fast food establishment...... but this restaurant is far from a fast food place both in quality of food and price and should be mindful of this.

1  Thank Lorna M