“Relaxing”

Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 19
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for something to eat and drink as soon as we got to Aviemore. Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. Wonderful views of the Cairngorn mountains. Look to the ceiling and more items visible.

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited this recommended restaurant last week.
We had opted for a late lunch and arrived around 3pm. A waitress was at the top of the stairs chatting to a male staff member. I approached them and asked for a table for two ... without breaking their conversation they pointed to an empty table close by. I had spotted a self service counter so when I asked how it worked was told it was table service.
We waited for a few minutes and the the waitress came to take our order.
We decided to share a fish chowder with a savoury scone and ordered our own main courses , a glass of wine and a tea.This was all tapped into an iPad.. but it was obvious she wanted to return to her chat.
We sat for around 15 mins without anything at all but comforted ourselves in the fact the food was clearly cooked to order which was great although I did mention I thought the chowder would be pre prepared. The wine and tea arrived and a few more minutes past.
The waiter arrived with the chowder and the all day breakfast then the waitress arrived with my sweet corn fritters and toast for the breakfast... I did say to the waiter I hadn’t expected everything to arrive at once .... he didn’t say anything.. he just left.
As you can imagine juggling a large bowl of hot soup with 2 lovely hot main courses was neither easy practical or enjoyable.
The food was lovely so we carried on a bit flabbergasted and totally bemused.
We couldn’t finish the soup and didn’t even tackle the scone ... when we asked for the bill and the waitress came back ... I said to her we were really taken aback all the food came at once. She replied they didn’t really do ‘starters ‘ and main courses that’s why everything came together.. she did apologise and said she should have asked. I then apologised and said not to worry I should have been clearer ??? But why should I have ... this is ‘normal ‘ practice in restaurants.
It was a lovely place ... had fabulous cakes and goodies at the counter.. however we were less than impressed with the service and the ambiguity of the menu which could have been overcome if the waitress has taken the time to explain.
We purchased cakes to go and some fancy dressing... the bill was around £50.
This would be totally expected and accepted in any old fast food establishment...... but this restaurant is far from a fast food place both in quality of food and price and should be mindful of this.

1  Thank Lorna M
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

We called into mountain cafe for breakfast one morning. We were going to have a full breakfast but felt like the £11.50 price tag was a bit steep so opted for a breakfast rolls. I had a sausage and egg roll, the food was hot and fresh, I wasn’t keen on the sausage as it was beef, I definitely prefer pork sausages. Although there was nothing wrong with our visit I don’t think I’ll be back. Sorry.

1  Thank Ray-JayS
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Was in Aviemore for an overnight with my other half, we stumbled across this cafe when looking for somewhere to eat breakfast. There were no tables available but we were provided a beeper that would alert us when our table was ready (we walked down to Tesco and it still worked!) we waited about 20 minutes for a table but absolutely no complaints with this (says a lot that it was fully booked out if you ask me!) we both had the Kiwi style pancakes and I can’t recommend these enough, they were amazing! The cafe also had a large selection of freshly made cakes which looked great! Will definitely return when back in Aviemore

Reviewed 22 January 2018

On a snowy winter's day we ventured off the A9 into Aviemore to find the Mountain Cafe. It appears to be always busy but they have a very efficient buzzer system which means you can wander about while waiting.We chose the fish chowder for lunch which was absolutely delicious served with an equally delicious savoury scone. The menu had lots of interesting choices and everything that I saw being served looked very appetising. There was a big selection of cakes but we didn't sample them (alas) on this visit.
The food is high quality but I did think it was a bit on the expensive side.