See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

I can't compliment the food highly enough; excellent quality and massive portions! Sadly the accommodation lets it down big time! Our room had been painted by a demented monkey on speed. The dark red walls met the white ceiling in a totally random fashion and the black skirting boards and door surrounds did their best to hide the fact that a random wave with a vacuum cleaner was not the way to clean a room! Guys, flat horizontal surfaces do tend to collect dirt, CLEAN IT OFF 'cause it looks terrible. It's the only hotel, sorry, pub with rooms, that I've ever been in where your bed was not made up when you stay more than one night!
The staircase up to most of the rooms has a shoogily bannister and it must not be relied on for support. Our room had a broken light shade on the ceiling light and one bed light was out; it was so dark I couldn't read in bed until I stripped down the bed light, took out the duff bulb and demanded a new one!
It's a step up from a Youth Hostel but not a big one. Cheap and cheerful but, as I said, with fantastic bar-type food.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Aviemore being a very popular destination and our trip happening to be in the busy season we were grateful to find somewhere to stay in the town . . . . Until we arrived. . We were all a little tired and saddle sore after a long day and couldn't wait to get to our rooms for a shower and relax. Non of us were suspicious about paying up front for the rooms until we opened the doors. What absolute " Hell holes " of depravity they were. More like torture chambers to be honest. All rooms painted in a deep crimson red which looked like it had been chucked on the walls. Torn paper , broken plaster and creaky furniture. A tiny bathroom with dodgy plumbing made it a complete disaster. We will never return . . Would rather sleep in the park. The whole establishment was filthy and could well do with a visit from the council . . Felt very sorry for the other guests we met at breakfast who were families and married couples.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We pulled into the car park which is scruffy and dirty and things just got worse as we went in. We were asked for payment but insisted on seeing the room first. It was horrific, dirty, smelly, disgusting....not one thing about this place appealed, it is a hovel, I would not put my dog in there ! We handed the room key back and the barman just laughed and said 'fine'. I would still not have stayed if it was free. They have a nerve charging any more than £30 for these rooms ! Aviemore is stunning but this place lets it down.

Room Tip: rooms are disgusting
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2017

we are two disabled ladies who over the previous months had planned a car trip to Scotland obviously making sure all the disabled accommodation was suitable for our needs -when we arrived there was no Receptionist just the Barman he seemed quite bemused by us as if he had no idea we were disabled - He informed us we had to go through a door in the Bar no help offered whatsoever - imagine our surprise there were rickety old stairs for us to climb and the stair rail just moved all over the place when held - how we got up there is a mystery we opened the door we were in a twin bedded attic room which was painted red and black the beds were really low the shower room must have been a cupboard no toilet paper available my immediate reaction was "This is a Doss House" I knew I could not stay there and said I would have to sleep in the car I have never been used to anything like this it was disgraceful . I must say the bed linen looked fairly clean but it was definitely not for disabled people we were extremely lucky to get hold of Booking.com and get another booking in another Hotel which cost a lot of money but that one was the other end of the Spectrum so we ended up having to use a good bit of our spending money having to pay for 2 Hotels but it was worth it My advise is Don.'t go there if you are looking for decent accomodation

Room Tip: would not recommend it at all
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We have booked on line, after having seen only one picture of the house. Unfortunately the rooms were very oddly painted ( dark blue, dark purple etc.) and although the bedding was OK, the colors here were also very odd.

The bathroom was a bad surprise, almost no light, black shower-curtain making you feel like in a solitary confinement and the equipment was really worn out. Food was acceptable but had some problems to explain the waitress what we wanted ( finally it was perfectly solved)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple