“Not my best experience”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 8 August 2013

A bit of a bad experience from me. I have some Greek connections so was very excited about having some traditional home cooked food. The food is home style but I have to say that every Greek or Cypriot household I have had the pleasure of, have cooked much, much better than this. The meal also took hours to come out. We waited an hour and a half and started eating our main course at 10.30pm. We hadn't ordered starters.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have been regular visitors to the Golden Kebab over many years and the food, along with the service, has always of the highest standard. The Restaurant have now moved across the road to new more up to date premises.

We visited the new premises and, while the surroundings are very the nice, the food was a huge disappointment. Previous experience told us that the portions are big and we decided to miss out on starters. I ordered Moussaka with salad and fries. The salad was nice, the chips OK but the Moussaka was very poor. Served in its own dish it was a mixture of mince with a watery gravy and hard, under cooked, sliced potatoes. My partner had a breast of chicken dish (can’t remember the name) that was meant to be in a red wine sauce. It was served with what appeared to be baked beans in a tomato sauce. This was served with salad and roast potatoes. The salad, again, was fine but the while the potatoes looked nice and crisp in reality turned out to be mushy inside. We did order a bottle of wine that was good value for money.

Perhaps we have been unlucky with this visit however it is a wonderful example of how standards and reputation that are built up over many years can disappear in an instance.
You might ask why I did not complain at the time but this is something I do not practice and it was my choice to pay the bill and leave.

Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Kleftico is a lamb lovers delight..make sure you are hungry before you go! Keftades to start - very tasty-a must!

1  Thank Maureen A
Reviewed 27 June 2013

First vist to the new restaurant and what a great night we had, delicious home cooking, warm friendly service and deserts to die for. Thanks to everyone that worked so very hard to give us a fantastic all round experience, we would recommend this lovely family restaurant to everyone.

1  Thank AlistairWells
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived unknowingly at the Last night of the golden kebab ; the decor was distinctly 1970's, plastic grapes and it was all a bit reminiscent of caravan holidays ,,, the food however was fab! . We settled for 3 courses for 2 and enjoyed traditionally Greek food which was tasty and plentiful - the waitress advised that the restaurant was relocating across the road and as a result of it being the last night offered us a free cocktail - we've already booked for the soon to open frisousilla- hope its half as good as its predecessor !

3  Thank margaretmckendrick