“It was o.k.....”

Ranked #57 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
benidorm
“It was o.k.....”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

small twin bedroom on top floor
clean and comfortable beds
Unfortunately, the window wouldn't close properly - didn't realise this until we got back to the room late. It was very windy so the window rattled all night!!!
Breakfast was good but the dining room could perhaps do with some low level background music.
It gave my friend and beds for the night but I would only use this place again as a last resort.

Room Tip: small room on top floor with sloping ceiling - the rooms on the first floor may have been better. It...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Leeds
Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you want a reasonably priced hotel not too far from the centre of Glasgow this is a good choice. I'd failed to get a room in the centre so booked this hotel for 1 night. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was small but comfortable with a king size bed. Everything was clean, the shower worked well. the breakfast was freshly cooked and very good quality. If you are a Rennie Mackintosh fan it's very close to the Queens Cross Church. It's also close to the excellent Black Sheep Bistro. You can park on the street outside the hotel.

Room Tip: The street it's on is split with a no through but the hotel is near where it divides so park on...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I spent 1 night at the Ambassador Hotel while in Scotland on a golf trip with friends. I booked my last 2 nights in Scotland at the Ambassador because I wanted to stay in Glasgow's West End before I flew home to Canada. It was the best I could find on short notice. The location is perfect just steps away from the Botanical Gardens. A great place to access the West End on foot or - as I did on my second day - jump aboard a tour bus. The problem was the room. My first clue was when Pam at reception warned me as she gave me the key that it was a "wee but small". That's Scottish for broom closet. I opened the door to see a room that was about 6 feet wide and 15 feet long. Standing next to the single bed I could touch both walls if I extended my arms. There was no room for my suitcase or golf clubs. I went back to reception and Pam did not seem a bit surprised when I said the room wasn't acceptable. Unfortunately it was the only room available. I spent 30 minutes on line looking for an alternative to no avail. The best I could do was a room at the airport Holiday Inn Express. I took that for the next night since it would be convenient for my morning flight. Pam cancelled my 2nd night without penalty or quarrel and refunded my payment. She couldn't have been more gracious and understanding. I suspect I was not the first to react in horror to the broom closet posing as a hotel room. The tiny room aside, the Ambassador was fine. Great location. Great Scottish breakfast - the best I had in Scotland. Terrific attitude and service. For instance, they let me leave my bags at the hotel all day the 2nd day while I toured Glasgow. I went back late afternoon to collect my bags and move to the airport Holiday Inn Express. I did find the room pretty noisy - I could hear every creak and comment from the rooms around me. Not the place for light sleepers. I wouldn't stay there again in spite of the great location.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly and ask about the size and location of the available rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric22754
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2011

10 mins from subway station. Walking distance to supermarkets and Botanical Garden. Very quiet location. The lady at the reception is helpful. Given a room at next building and got upgrade to a triple room on ground floor just next to the front door. Very spacious. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Charleston, SC, USA
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Got a triple room for the family. Ended up next door to the actual hotel in the apartments. Had breakfast in the hotel. Our room was a converted parlor with lovely architectural details. Breakfast next door was pleasant.

The location is off the beaten path, but works. It is a block from a stop for the tourist oriented Hop On, Hop Off Bus, and several other bus lines, just across the bridge by the Botanical Gardens. Two blocks further away is the delightful, but small Glasgow subway, which will also take you downtown. Good shopping and modestly priced restaurants nearby as well.

They have a very modestly priced private car service to the airport available. It had to have saved us ten pounds.

The neighborhood is very quiet, but transit will have you at the city center in minutes.

Breakfast was complete and pleasant. The family enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family