2,095 results
All reviewsfree mini barthe executive loungewindows restaurantrooftop restaurantgin and vodkatartan slipperswaxy o'connorsclub roomcomplimentary drinkscrystal decantersgeorge squarequeen street stationtop floorcrispstrain stationthe air conditioningsuperior room
Reviewed 23 February 2018

As usual we had a great night here and meal was amazing! We had a la carte. We go to this hotel often for a break. Love it! 2 mins from train station in Glasgow queen st. We are going back again tonight for daughters anniversary. Best hotel ever great value for what you get. We have booked an executive room again can't fault this hotel folks so give it a go. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: executive room or balcony room is always our choice.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Monica R, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear ireland08scotland. Thank you for the fantastic review. I am delighted that your stay with us was such a good one. Thank you for all your lovely comments. Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards Monica

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Two colleagues and I stayed at the Carlton George prior to a letting in Glasgow.

On arrival we were very impressed to find decanters of whisky, Gin and vodka all complimentary in the room. The rooms were spacious and beds comfortable so everything looked positive.

The issues arose when it came to trying to sleep. For some reason the rooms were heated to the temperature of the Earths core with no way of turning it down. The window opened but outside was some kind of fan that sounded like what can only be described as a jet engine. So with the choice of deafness or melting to contend with, sleep was a struggle. I thought at the time I had been unlucky with my room but my colleagues all had the same experience.

Could be a great hotel but a huge disappointment when it’s too uncomfortable to sleep!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2018

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Carlton George Hotel, after a slightly shaky start. We didn’t arrive in Glasgow until around 6:30pm on a Saturday evening as we had been on a tour from Edinburgh. We were given the correct type of room that we had booked, but it wasn’t very impressive. We had trouble with the air conditioner, the coffee maker, leaks in the bathroom and the room was very small for a club room which was their top level of room before moving into suites.

The hotel attempted to solve the problems, but to no avail, so the next morning we swapped rooms as more were available This room was perfect, everything worked and it was much, much larger. All décor in the hotel seemed to follow the tartan theme, even including the slippers provided in the room.

As we were in a club room, we had free access to our mini-bar, including alcohol. There were also three decanters of various spirits for our use, but we didn’t use any of that. We did use the club lounge for predinner drinks though. This was the most generous club lounge we have ever used with alcohol (beer and wine only) available from 5pm to 10:45pm!! Sadly these generous hours also kind of spoiled the experience, particularly on that first Saturday evening. We went to the lounge and it was totally packed, with lots of large groups taking up all the seats and tables. Eventually we managed to find a spot and had a glass of wine each. In most lounges people have a couple of drinks and then move on to dinner or whatever evening events are planned. Not here it seems, everyone seemed to settle in for the entire evening. There was a generous amount of food provided and everyone seemed to make that their dinner. The room was far too busy, crowded and noisy to be enjoyable as the clientele appeared to be groups of women or men, possibly on bucks or hens nights, rather than couples which is what we usually experience. We ended up leaving much earlier than planned and going to have dinner in the hotel restaurant, Windows, which was very enjoyable.

Luckily the lounge was far less noisy and crowded for the next couple of evenings, so we enjoyed it a lot more.

Breakfast was included in our rate, but again it didn’t start well. When we went to breakfast on our first morning, there was some issue with the kitchen so there were no a la carte options and we could only use the buffet. As the hotel was obviously very busy, the buffet was constantly running out and due to the kitchen issues, it wasn’t replenished as quickly as it should have been. The next two mornings though we had no problems at all and the hotel provided a very well cooked breakfast, and a very large one as well.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for a city stay in Glasgow. I would definitely avoid Saturday nights though unless you want the party atmosphere, in which case you will be right at home!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to have a larger room and access to the club lounge.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2018

My husband and I stayed here about three years or so ago and had a wonderful stay. It is in a good spot. Very close to George Square and Buchanan Street and the bus station. Waxy O'Connors Pub is next door and accessible via internal access from the Hotel. It offers good food.

We stayed again at the hotel late last year. The stay was not so wonderful this time. I understand that we had booked a different kind of room but as we booked this through our wonderful national carrier's site (Qantas), it was difficult to ascertain what kind of room we had (naughty Qantas). As it turned out we had a terrible room, much smaller and the beds (we had twins this time around) were shocking! There was also the case of the singing toilet... I was a bit annoyed that it is not recognised that you have booked the room via your wonderful national carrier's loyalty site (Qantas Platinum) but the booking comes up at the hotel under another general hotel booking site (naughty Qantas). We booked the room quite in advance and paid up front. When the bed got too much I asked if we could be moved and was told it was probably not possible. As the bed was actually causing me pain, I kind of had to put my foot down a bit, line up at reception the next morning and managed to get a better room with a better bed for the last night. We need twin beds due to health issues. A twin room should not mean a less than desirable standard. We had a friend in tow whose room I booked via the same website and her room was not much better. I felt a little embarrassed as I had been raving about this hotel for so long, she thought we were coming to a place quite different to what it ended up being. We did have executive lounge access with our room, however when we went up there, it was being used as a break out room for a meeting/workshop that was going on so when these folks were 'released' from their meeting, they took over the lounge, most of the seats and walked around talking loudly on their mobiles. Even the Restaurant was terrible in comparison to the first time we stayed here. All in all a bit of a disappointing experience. I think something needs to be done about external booking sites and the information they contain about the rooms. This information should match exactly what is on the hotel's own website. This is one of the reasons why I choose generally to book directly with the hotel and will return to doing this. Shame about this stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Lovely hotel. Clean and cosy. Front desk friendly and helpful. Room lovely bed comfy. Free mini bar included. Had lounge access. Not as cosy as last time as no open fire now. Nibbles a little poor Probably not worth the extra this visit. Breakfast expensive but nice food. Dining area and view very nice. Hotel was a great option for access to Queen st station. Although a little expensive, I Would recommend this Hotel This was our second visit.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel