“Fantastic business or holiday hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic business or holiday hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I use this hotel regularly and find it to be one of the best I stay at in the UK. The staff are very attentive and the food excellent. Just a couple of points which can be an issue:

- the rooms are well decorated but lack air conditioning and on the few warm days the rooms can be very stuffy
- parking spaces are limited and sometimes you find yourself walking some distance in the rain to get to the hotel

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with windows open ask for a room facing the back of the house as the road out f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights following our wedding. We naturally wanted something a bit more upmarket than we would normally go for, and we were not disappointed. From the arrival drinks (champagne, as we mentioned the purpose of our stay), to the incredibly friendly and helpful staff (there when you needed them, but not obviously following you), to the beautiful rooms with everything you could ask for and more. We also ate in the bar one night, which worked out really well. In walking distance of Byre's Road and the Botanic Gardens, the location is good - you really would be hard pushed to find much fault with this hotel at all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
juicemuds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We were so excited about treating ourselves to two nights at One Devonshire, we were here for one night in 2009 and loved it.
We arrived about 4pm and were greeted at the reception desk, we were told to take a seat in the lounge opposite (it's a bit awkward really, just check us in there and then please). The lovely friendly girl came through to the lounge with our check in details and passed us over to Andy who took us and our luggage up to our room.

The room was on the top floor, it was enormous, furnished and decorated with quality fittings. However, it really wasn't to my taste, the wallpaper was red, just far too vibrant to be conducive with relaxation. Also there was a huge sky light, which although it had a blind would let too much light in, I like a dark room. Also the bath was in the right next to the TV, I was planning on having a quiet bath and reading my book while my husband watched the England Euro game. I felt awful but I popped back down to reception straight away and told them I really didn't want to stay in that room. They couldn't have been kinder, it was absolutely no problem to move us, and Andy once again helped with our bags.
The room we were taken to was Schloss Gobelsburg which was an absolute sumptuous array of black flocked wallpaper and velvet sofas, it had an oak fireplace, and a heavenly black tiled bathroom with double shower, bath with a TV in front (showing different channel to the lounge area), the loo was behind an opaque glass screen. It was just fabulous.

I ventured out to the bar at about 8pm while my husband watched the footy, not something I would normally do alone, but I felt very comfortable in these friendly surroundings. To reach the bar you have to walk through the dinning room, which is very strange when people are sitting enjoying their meal. I approached the bar to order my drink and was immediately asked if i was staying for dinner, "No thank you, I'd just like a drink please" and I settled myself in a comfy leather chair at a corner table for two with a whiskey and my book, (I anticipated my husband would probably join me later but in the meantime, it was to be me, a drink and my book). Within say 30 minutes I was again approached and asked if I would like dinner, again I replied "no thank you", and within another 10 minutes I was approached by a member of staff who asked if I was alone and could someone join me at the table, I was surprised to have been asked this but said "yes that would be fine". No-one did join me and I glanced behind me expecting to see a busy bar, but it seemed that almost everyone in there had departed for dinner. So why was I hassled in this way, I didn't order a second drink or wait for my husband to join me, I returned to our room, and we went out for a second drink.

We had a very uncomfortable nights sleep, the bed in Schloss was like sleeping on table or the floor, I could feel every bone in my body ache as I lay there, listening to the sound of the A82 in front of the hotel go by. The next morning I asked my other half how he had slept, he said he hadn't either and his back was killing. We both wearily agreed that we couldn't stand another night of it, and we were either going to move hotels or return home.
We went through reception on the way to breakfast and told them of our terrible night. The lovely girl said they would do their upmost to soften the bed with mattress toppers. I asked if there was any chance of a room in the back of the hotel (even though I really didn't want to move for a third time in eighteen hours). We went out for the day and returned to be told that our bed had been piled with comfy toppers. We went straight up to the room and lay on the bed, the toppers had absolutely no substance and the bed felt the same. So off we went back to reception, feeling thoroughly despondent by this time.
A lovely porter called David was told to take us to see room Wolf Blass. I ignored the rest of the room and lay on the bed which was like a cloud, all comfy squishyness. Yes I would be able to lay easy on that mattress. So David very kindly helped us move our belongings along the corridor.

Wolf Blass was an absolutely divine suite (yes suite) with four poster bed, even bigger sofas, even better quality of TV, it had a dinning table and four chairs and a Bose radio, as well as the iPod dock and espresso machine every room has. We popped down to the bar and had a little whiskey bu I would say once again the staff were unhappy that we were only having a drink in the bar not staying for dinner. We returned to the room and had a very pleasant evening, relaxing, making the most of our beautiful rooms we ordered room service which was prompt in its delivery and absolutely heavenly in its taste, we cannot recommend room service enough.
I was looking forward to a night of sound sleep and I lay in my comfy bed for hours listening to the sound of the A82 crossroads (this is a corner suite) for hours!! The next morning I felt exhausted, my husband had been less bothered by the noise of the traffic helped by the comfy bed, but I heard it all night, the single pane windows in this hotel are just not enough to drown the noise of the cars out.

Breakfast is amazing, there is a delicious choice and selection on the buffet table. The cooked breakfast were scrumptious and if you were so inclined you could start with a traditional Scottish and finish with pancakes and syrup! The breakfast staff were so friendly and I cannot praise them enough.

Overall this hotel is wonderful, the staff are brilliant, the rooms are beautifully decorated (1st one was just not my cup of tea) but the beds are too hard (apparently this is a fault with houses 4 & 5 only) and the road noise is a problem if you are a light sleeper (I am spoiled by living in the middle of nowhere at home). The West end of Glasgow where the hotel is located is a great area to walk about with some great independent shops, restaurants and bars. The architecture of that area is also superb and we thoroughly enjoyed wandering round taking in the stained glass windows which adorned every house and flat.

So One Devonshire Gardens in summary, we loved everything about the place except the pushy bar staff, the beds and the traffic noise.

Room Tip: Houses 1, 2, 3 have better beds and rooms in the back if you don't like traffic.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank juicemuds
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed at One Devonshire Gardens for my birthday and was absolutely blown away.

On arrival the reception experience was excellent. A parking space had been reserved right outside. We were taken into the lounge and given a glass of whiskey. The lady who checked us in was very friendly.

We were then showed to our room by a guy who was very knowledgable about the hotel and it's history.

The room itself was warm and comfortable. Very dark and moody but it suited the style of the hotel.

In terms of the rest of the hotel really not a bad word to say. Lovely bar, great wine list and an excellent breakfast.

Really wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anybody. A class act.

• Stayed March 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We loved the room immediately. Incredibly spacious and well appointed with an old world charm The concierge could not have been more helpful to a couple of weary travelers. Assisted with a local restaurant recommendation, booked it for us, then made sure we knew how to get there.
We have stayed in many hotels around the world and we would definitely rate it up there with the best. We would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had the Pommery room. It was on the ground floor and was great as we had lots of luggage to brin...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple