10 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$155
Traveluro$179
travelup.com$157
FindHotel$156
5,093 results
All reviews champagne bar station concourse champagne central taxi rank hope street lovely hotel afternoon tea street noise lovely room standard room an overnight stay central glasgow haggis concierge mirror
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2021

Incompetent, badly trained staff that couldnt care less from start to finish. Checked in for one night dinner bed and breakfast. Booked an upgraded room with bath and sitting area. Firstly over familiar staff who informed us we had "lucked out" getting a room on the 5th floor as it was her favourite, when we got to the room it was not the one that we booked, we had to wait until a friendly and efficient member of staff came up and gave us the keys to the correct room. The rooms have air conditioning for heating, they also have radiators that are turned up full but dont work. This is fine because the room is warmed but the air con vents, however there are no vents in the bathroom, which was very cold and couldn't be warmed. Dinner was being served in an annex room off the champagne bar. On a Saturday night it is a very popular place with loud music - fine for drinking and having a good time. We asked to be seated at the far end of the room so that we could hear each other speak over dinner, we were told tis wasn't possible as the other tables were booked. I would like to say that the food was worth the wait (an we did wait!!!) but it wasn't. It took 35mins from sitting down to be served a drink and another 15 mins to get our starters, which arrived then the staff member went off to find cutlery. Over 2 hours to have two courses, ordered coffee and after 15 mins asked the same member of staff (4/5 of them were all dancing together to the tunes as they had clearly decided they weren't offering anything resembling service tonight) and she walked to the coffee machine and made the coffee - better late than never is clearly the motto.
I asked for the bill and when it arrived it was put on the table then snatched away without a word, when it was returned I was informed they had forgotten to add the cost of the coffees onto it initially. Went back to our room and ran a bath in the cold bathroom, clearly the hotels boiler went to he same hospitality school and had decided not to deliver any hot water to baths or radiators. Decided not to have a cold bath in a cold bathroom. Heading to breakfast we met some guest who said that there was a 1.5 hour wait, when we got to the dining room we couldn't believe that there was indeed a very long queue winding up the stairs and along the corridor. - We decided not to wait and just check out.
On checking out I raised some of my concerns about the stay to be told the radiators dont work in the hotel, no explanation as to why the water was not warm, and basically got a shrug for everything else. £400 for two people. Its a shame, its a nice building and a great location, they dont seem to be short of staff - just not sure the staff want to work in a service industry.

Date of stay: December 2021
2  Thank R9768PYjohnm
IHG Service, Owner at voco Grand Central Glasgow, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2021

Hi R9768PYjohnm,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to leave us feedback. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it is apparent in your case we fell short. I am sorry we missed the mark on the level of customer service you received. I have alerted the hotel management about your comments and have also sent you a private message to obtain additional information.

Again, thanks for staying with us. We value your feedback and welcome the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 December 2021 via mobile

This a story of poor reception staff!

After check in at the hotel we went to our room allocated by the receptionist, only to find the room had twin beds when our booking was quite clearly for a King sized bed. I called reception from the room and then waited, waited , waited for someone to come and take us to our correct room. Very poor start to the trip!

The new room was nice, as was the hotel decor and breakfast - all what I would expect from an IHG hotel.

At the end, at checkout, I gave the receptionist my car park ticket as my booking deal included free parking at the adjacent car park. I told the receptionist I had free parking and she just told me that once I put my ticket in the machine I would get the free parking. We then walked to the car park, I put the ticket in the machine, and guess what - it wanted payment .I tried to phone the hotel but after 5 minutes of no answer I decided to walk back. This time I spoke to a different receptionist, who told me that I should have been given a VIP parking ticket to get free parking, and that the other girl was just a trainee! Whilst I understand that everyone has to learn surely she should be suitably supervised. Being given the wrong room on check in was annoying, but having to waste time and energy getting my parking ticket correctly validated was very annoying. Not what I expect from an IHG hotel, especially as an IHG Gold card member

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elginstar
Reviewed 30 November 2021

Stayed here Saturday 27th November. Good check in experience. This hotel is huge - at one point I thought there must be a mirror in the distance because the corridors go on forever. Great room spotlessly clean and well equipped. Really comfortable bed (so comfortable that I peeled back the bedding in the morning to see who made it - Hypnos). The hotel is the old railway hotel and even has an entrance off Glasgow Central Station concourse. Really well maintained and very clean. The staff are clearly working hard to keep things to such a high standard - I hope some of them read this review and feel proud. They even let me leave my bag after checkout whilst I walked around Glasgow. Great place to stay in a great location.

Date of stay: November 2021
Allan Wilson, Other at voco Grand Central Glasgow, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2021

Dear malcolm744,

It's terrific to read how impressed you were with your whole experience here at the voco Grand Central. What a powerful comment that you hope the team read the feedback. Thank you and know that means so much to our team.

We are so lucky to walk daily in the footsteps of some of the most genuine famous people (and a horse) in the world. We certainly don’t take for granted where our People Development team instil in our team from induction and daily throughout with the team on the floor.

It’s great to see from your feedback that our team looked after you are demonstrating our True Hospitality. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to our team, who I know will be proud to see your valued feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon! Do let me know directly at allan.wilson@ihg.com.

Sincerely proud,

Allan Wilson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 November 2021

I LOVE this hotel. If you are really into history and architecture, this is the place to stay. On top of it being gorgeous, the hotel staff were amazing-from the front desk to Champagne Central to maintenance. Everyone was lovely. And the concierge, Allen, helped book some of our favorite activities while we were there. He even helped us book a tour in Edinburgh-which is the next city we were headed to-when there was no availability from Glasgow. And it's situated perfectly-attached to the train station and easy to get around to sites and great restaurants in the area. Highly recommend!

Dear NatalaeA,

We have LOVED having you stay with us!

It's terrific to read how impressed you were with your whole experience here at the voco Grand Central Hotel, I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to our team, who I know will be proud to see your valued feedback. Furthermore thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation for our Alan at the front desk, who continues to go above and beyond for our valued guests as yourself.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,

Allan Wilson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2021

Absolutely the worst afternoon tea ever !! Dried sandwiches solid scones and boring pices of shop bought cake . On the wowcher website there is a picture of a beautiful afternoon tea with mousse fulled cups and delicious cakes well its false advertising !! This i can assure you is not what you get nowhere near it !!

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
IHG Service, Owner at voco Grand Central Glasgow, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2021

Hi sherridanh2021,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the food selection. I understand your disappointment and I'm sorry. I will share your review with our team for improvements on our end. We appreciate you for staying with us and in line with this, I sent you a private message address your concerns.

i appreciate you as our guest and I still hope you would give us another chance in the future so this time we can show you how we create moments you’ll remember long after check out.

Orlando A.