“Beware of bill” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beware of bill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I booked a single room and a twin room the price quoted over the phone and on the web site was £55 . The room I was given was a double but I assumed that it was because they had no single room. On paying my bill I was charged £65 as I was told I had occupied a double room. I will not be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Square80000
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Found the Victorian building eventually and the reception was welcoming, providing useful estimated time and distance to my relatives abode. Previously a maternity home, their claim to fame was that Gordon Brown had been born there!

The front room was spacious with a leather settee in the large bay window and the en suite was smart with a decent sized shower. The garden area is pleasant enough with tables and benches and car parking at the rear.

No double glazing so I found it noisy being right on the corner of a very busy road with pedestrian crossing. Indeed the chef brought his car round to the door to show someone his huge sound system in the boot and that was totally overpowering!

The grill room restaurant and bar seemed busy. Prices are reasonable so I ordered the Black Pudding with leeks and mash. The bar is shaped like a 50p piece and both are open to the public as well.

Eventually the meal came with black pudding on top of mash with peas. The waitress came to check and I did point out I would not have had the meal if I had known they contained peas as I don't like them. She checked the menu which clearly stated leeks and after a chat with the chef offered to fetch something else, (a little late as I had eaten the black pudding by then!) saying the menus had not been changed yet! I felt it was a poor response from the chef, a reduction in price or a free sweet could have been offered.

Finally to my single bed which I discovered was a memory foam mattress complete with ingrained dip! Dreadful sweaty night as I was unable to find a comfortable position.

Breakfast next day was fine and the waitress very friendly and chatty but I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Try a room away from the road
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed one night at the Orchard Park Hotel, a delightful Art Nouveau former maternity hospital building on the South side of the Rivar Clyde in Giffnock, Glasgow.The en-suite (jacuzzi in bath with shower) room (double) was recently renovated, clean and, although not large, was adequate for our purposes. Our concern about noise from the kitchen exhaust fan came to nothing because they were switched off before we returned in the evening. Excellent breakfast with local produce and very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnGrant
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We went as a family and got two rooms. The beds were uncomfortable, and breakfast poor. It was noisy, smelly and when I complained I was told that no-one else had ever complained and so the problem was mine!

annoyingly it worked out cheaper for us to stay at the Hilton!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have stayed at the Orchard Park Hotel several times and always find the standard of service very friendly. I was with my 14 year old granddaughter and we had a lovely meal in the hotel - not cheap - but very good quality. The hotel accommodation is only 90% of a high standard, however, the position of the hotel in Giffnock is great for a walk about and very handy for buses and the train if you would want to go into Glasgow. Top tip - go to Valentinis ice cream shop (just near the hotel) for spectacular ice cream - probably the best in Scotland.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BubblyBobbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glasgow
Redhurst Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
#59 of 96 in Glasgow
Number 10 Hotel
#20 of 96 in Glasgow

Been to Orchard Park Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK