“Avoid”

The Ellwyn Tavern
Ranked #11 of 27 Restaurants in Grangemouth
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

In a word awful! Sullied the name of former well run establishment. Poor sub standard quality Not much else you can say about this other than save your money go to local chippy instead

1  Thank Eleanor G

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Hi, very surprised at some customers bad experiences at The Ellwyn. My family and I have used the restaurant lots and remain very happy at the service, value, food and drink. Also, we find this place extremely friendly right through from staff to local punters who make all feel welcome. I believe the chef has changed recently so maybe there has been a few issues. We only live a few streets away but have used the restaurant frequently over the years for birthday and weekend meals for the family. I like how you can order drinks anytime from at the bar or outwith your meal that can be added to your bill. We will remain loyal to the Ellwyn.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Have eaten here before and it has always been good. Thought we would give it a try again. Bad idea. We pre-booked for 7pm We waited at the sign to get allocated a table. Took the waitress a couple of minutes to attend even when we were the only diners. She was too busy answering a phone and going back and forward to the kitchen.

Menus were a shock due to the very poor selection, but we ordered a bottle of red wine. (I think chef went down to the small supermarket below to get it he took so long). It was also not like a wine that a restaurant would sell, as it was a well-known Australian brand. He did not ask if it was OK, just opened it and gave a us 2 glasses. Both glasses were very badly worn, scratched and dirty. It looked like white paint was on both glasses, I asked for replacements. No condiments on the table, and the cutlery was marked and streaked. I wiped the cutlery.

The fun came when ordering. When asked what type of soup it was, the waitress did not know and questioned whether we actually wanted her to go to the kitchen and ask. Starters were a poor choice. I asked if I could have sweet chilli sauce with my starter. No unfortunately chef did not have any in the kitchen. Both of us just decided to wait for a main course of haddock and chips.

Forty-five minutes later it arrived. Must have been a really big haddock as my husband had what looked like the ‘tail’ section and I had a middle. Nothing re shape nor size I have ever seen in haddock. Mine had also ‘grey’ flesh when haddock is a white fish. I mentioned the discrepancy but got ignored by the waitress. Chips had not been cooked properly, and were soggy. Obviously the cooking fat was not hot enough when the potatoes were put in. This dish, according to the menu, was accompanied by coleslaw. Unfortunately somebody did not understand what that was and we got garlic mayo. When I came to ‘cold’ fish in the middle I stopped eating. Just as well as I was sick that night, unwell the next and am now just recovering.

Wished we hadn’t gone there and had given our custom elsewhere.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Was taken their for a family meal, we had the upstairs to ourselves, we were looked after by the amazing staff, brought drinks to our table and the food was amazing and plentiful, well worth a visit

Reviewed 29 December 2016

meal of xmas menu turkey had to be returned it wasnt evenworm there was only 3people that was my party it will be last time i go there we didnt pay for the turkey after we disagreed about the dinner we were told we had eaten somthing bad sevice the place didint havemuch heating we were cold

2  Thank Mary B