All reviews shared bathroom dundas street botanic gardens single room place to stay breakfast room cooked breakfast nice breakfast minute walk ground floor enjoyed my stay definitely stay here again city centre bus stop lovely room beautiful city porridge
Reviewed 9 May 2018

I found this B&B by chance and considered myself very lucky to have done so!

A really lovely couple run this guest house - together with their sweet little puppy - who made my little dog feel very much at home! It is in a beautiful old building and I stayed in a quirky, quiet little ensuite room at the top with pretty views over gardens.

It was spotlessly clean throughout and both the staff and managers were charming.

The location was excellent. If on foot, turn right out of the building and then left at the end of the road. You are then on Dundas Strret which joins Hanover Street a little further up the hill. You can catch a bus on Dundas Street (I think a number 27) which takes you up the rather steep Hanover Street and drops you on the corner of Princes Street 2 or 3 minutes later. The bus fare is £1.70 and the driver is unable to give change.

My little travelling companion and I can't wait to return to Dene Guest House and this truly beautiful and dog friendly city. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone visiting Edinburgh with one proviso that as far as I know there is no elevator so if you are on an upper floor you would have to deal with the stairs. If this would cause you difficulties, I believe that there are rooms on the ground floor. On this particular trip, I travelled with almost no luggage but the manager has assured me that if I return with luggage - he always helps guests who have rooms on upper floors.

Room tip: Be aware of stairs and speak to manager when booking to make sure no problems on arrival.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
DeneGH, Reception at Dene Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Hello Eliza-Jane29,

Thank you so much for this beautiful summary of your stay, which I think will give to future guests a very good preview about the Guest House. :)

We are all very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back at the Dene with your little companion!

It's a very old building and the size of the house does not allow to install an elevator... But we always try to respond the guests's request about the location of the room and when the luggage are too heavy, we are also happy to help!

Looking forward to see you at the Guest House,

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Absolutely lovely. Very clean, I loved my single room, it was cute, delightful and very roomy. I had the cutest little window in my ensuite. I loved the wooden shutters on my window too, really kept the room dark for a great nights sleep. The bed was comfy and the position of the TV was excellent. The breakfast was absolutely lovely too and all the staff are fabulous and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Also they spoke different languages....I wasn't too sure as to which but I think they spoke French and Spanish as well as English of course. Overall I can't recommend this place highly enough and when I return to Edinburgh I'll definitely be booking this place.

Trip type: Travelled solo
simkor2015, Reception at Dene Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hello Anjipop,

Thank you so much for you review, we are really happy to ear that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh!
Actually we are mixed team of French, German, and Spanish so we are very flexible with the languages. ;)

We are looking forward to have you again in the Guest House! :)

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Dene s House is highly recommended for solo travelers. Very friendly staff, great location in the very centre, small but clean rooms.
I will def come back.
My stay was just very comfortable and pleasant .

Trip type: Travelled solo

Hello zolotko2003,

Thank you a lot for your nice review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoy your stay in your room :) Many places doesn't have singles rooms anymore, so we are lucky to have some to welcome the singles travelers like you!

Looking forward to see you again in the Dene!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Friendly staff. Remembered name and preferences. Knowledgable about the city and neighbourhood. Accommodated my special diet needs. Excellent Breakfast. Good in-room travel guide. Would return next time.

Room tip: surprising quiet at rear and upper floors
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Hello Marilyn,

Thank you for your super review! As a Guest House we do not have 200 rooms so our guests are not just number. ;) We always try to advise our guest as much as possible (for restaurant, bus, and sightseeing). I'm happy that we are able to supplement your breakfast with GlutenFree items and that you enjoy it.

Hope to have you back in the Dene soon,

Reviewed 11 April 2018

Lovely little guest house less than 10 mins by frequent buses that stop less than 100yds from guest house and go direct to to city centre.Simone ,the lady owner ,was really helpful with advice and guidance and very knowledgeable about the city,more impressive as she is actually from Cologne!!My single room was big enough for me,it was spotlessly clean,the bed was comfortable and the shower was lovely and hot so that's me sorted on the room stakes.Breakfast was continental buffet with a large and varied choice.Cooked breakfast was available for a small extra charge and looked very nice but I just stuck to the continental which was more than enough with toast thrown in as well it set me up for the day.The Dene is situated in a quiet street, just off Dundas St about a mile or so from city centre with frequent busses if you don't want to walk.I paid £56 per night for my single room which I thought was great value.