“Beautiful Hotel and extremely good food!”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #17 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel and extremely good food!”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was my second stay at Tigerlily and it was lovely. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have GHDs and an ipod docking station, robes and slippers which I think are really nice touches.

The only compliant I would have about the room was the noise we were in room number 4 and the noise from the music below was thumping through the room so not the best nights sleep but I would just make sure I would stay on a higher floor the next time like we did previously and didn't hear a thing.

We were there as part of an itison deal which was excellent value for money £145 including a nights stay for 2 people and a 3 course dinner and cocktail, plus breakfast the next day. Usually there is a similiar deal to this on the hotel's website for a Sunday night.

The food was amazing as it always has been the menu has an excellent selection of food, me and my boyfriend both had vietnamese squid and steaks very very good and big portions. The choclate cherry pot pudding is my favourite and I was pleased to see it was still on the menu!

The breakfast we had in our room for no extra charge and was honestly the best breakfast I have ever had! It was eggs benedict with smoked salmon.

The service was good from the moment we arrived till when we left.

I can't wait to come back but to stay on another floor!

Room Tip: Higher floors are much much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shmee682
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
glasgow
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was my second time staying in the hotel and we had a wonderful stay. It really is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are incredible. Very luxurious and spacious. We stayed in a junior suite.

Service was excellent and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. I’d e-mailed before arriving asking for early check in and a room on the 3rd floor and the hotel were able to provide both for us which was great.

We also had lunch in the hotel restaurant which was delicious, as was our room service breakfast – although they did forget things like salt, sauce and cutlery meaning the poor member of staff had to make 2 trips each time. A minor issue, but an irritating one.

The only thing that, for me, would really improve a stay in Tigerlily – and the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 - would be a quieter bar for residents. I was there with my mum and it would have been nice to come back from the theatre on a Saturday night and have a couple of cocktails before bed. The bar is lovely but not the type of place you can ever have a quiet drink in, or even get a seat in. We even struggled to find a seat at 5pm on the Saturday before we went out for the evening. I’ve seen a number of reviewers comment on this aspect of their stay and its something that would make a huge difference. I’ve stayed in many excellent hotels – this is the only one with no public space for residents.

Despite that, we have already booked to come back for a weekend as we love the rooms and the location. Staying here you definitely feel spoiled and we’re keen to repeat the experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pickynic
Singapore
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I was travelling with a group of 12 persons and we booked this lovely, hip and boutique hotel in Edinburgh. I last stayed in this same hotel when I visited Edinburgh about 2 years back. The location is near perfect within walking distance of the centre of the city of Edinburgh and also walking distance to the old part of town. The Tigerlily is a lovely small and intimate hotel. Reasonable rates for the size of rooms (which are generally large and clean with varying "themes") and the breakfast is impeccable. The reception staff are most helpful and courteous too. In the evenings, the lobby gets very crowded and busy (and noisy) with all sorts of yuppies coming in for drinks. All in all, a very good stay again and kudos to the staff and management. The only one criticism I have is that the wireless Internet access in the rooms is very weak and slow.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chorleywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

From the outset, I must stress that the bedrooms here are truly divine (as outlined by other reviewers). The 'breakfast in bed' option is also a bonus.

However, this is somewhat overshadowed by the bar/restaurant/club downstairs, which seems to be of main importance to all concerned at the hotel. When you check in, you are dealt with at a desk by staff who have one eye on the bar area behind them (and ear pieces to communicate with the table staff)- it's unlikely that you'll ever have their full attention when staying here; the hotel part seems secondary. We arrived 5 hours before check-in time and, whilst waiting for the sun to come out, warmed up on one of the sofas in the bar area (it was empty, but with 4 or 5 staff members present)- not once did a member of staff come over to offer us anything to eat or drink. They barely acknowledged our presence.

This hotel has no public spaces (when I say 'public', I mean for use of hotel patrons only)- the bar/restaurant/club is for anyone who rolls in off the street- and you will find that it will be heaving on Friday and Saturday nights (we were lucky in having a quieter room at the front- but some of the rooms will be badly affected by the noise).

If you don't like being 'thanked' by the bouncer when you pop out in the evening (as you might when leaving any generic nightclub) and then have to show your ID to the bouncer to get back into your hotel later that night, don't stay here! I'm not sure the door staff are even aware it's a hotel.

It's all such a shame because the rooms are splendid.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chicken_Dinosaur
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have stayed here a few times now, but on my last visit I had the privilege of staying in their magnificent Georgian Suite. There are no superlatives to adequately cover how good it is. Simply a "wow" experience. Tiger lily's attention to detail and luxury touches are literally world class.

Room Tip: Don't worry about it at all, ALL of the rooms are absolutely stunning
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business