“Varying experiences”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was my third visit to Smart City Hostels and may be my last. It has a great location and rooms are clean but this time we got a very cramped room with a curtain that couldn't be closed properly (letting in the light) and an en suite shower room with a stinking drain. The guest kitchen is short of glasses and mugs. The hostel can get a bit noisy due to large groups of school classes and music in the bar.

It costs about 20 GBP for a taxi from the hostel to the airport. If you walk down to Waverley station you can get the Airport Express bus for 3:50 GBP per person one way. Both journeys take about 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic. If you turn right out of the hostel and then directly left and work towards Holyrood, you will find a Tesco supermarket on your left after about 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review us.

We are sorry you feel your stay this time around wasn't as good as your previous stays.

Did you alert reception or a member of the duty management team about the problems in your room? We would have been very happy to accommodate you in another room and look into the problems you say you were experiencing.

Jayne @ SCH

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Safestay Edinburgh

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We have used the hostel for the past 4 years with a group of 20-25 very well behaved college students. Generally we have been delighted with the central location, friendly staff and plentiful breakfast. However, this year we were very disappointed. Having paid for rooms from 3pm on Sunday afternoon, we had to join a lengthy queue only to be told that the rooms were still dirty. We finally got access at 3.50 and had to miss half of our next planned visit as a result. No apology or compensation was offered. As all visitors have to pay if they stay in rooms after the exit time of 10am, it seems logical that we should get compensation if they break their contract by not giving us access until nearly an hour after the stated time. So sadly, the rating is poor, but i will return and change it if the hostel provides an apology and compensation in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for your review.

We are disappointed to hear you missed half of your next planned visit given your rooms weren't ready. Check in is any time after 3pm. If you had made reception aware that you had an outing / trip planned that afternoon, we would have stored your luggage for you and ensured it was delivered to your rooms for you arriving back into the hostel. It really would not have been a bother - we have done this happily in the past for other groups.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed here for my stag do last August at the start of the Edinburgh festival.

We had a dorm of 14 beds to ourselves with ensuite facilities.

The accommodation was perfectly acceptable and there is a bar attached. It's also in a perfect location-what more could you ask for?

The only criticism is a lack of soap in the ensuite toilets.

If I go back to Edinburgh again, I will gladly stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Hi, and thanks for your review,

We aim to please all of our guests at SCH and are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please do some back and see us soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 4 July 2012

How anyone can moan about this place is beyond me!!!! IF you expect hotel treatment - FORK OUT FOR A HOTEL.

Smart City Hostels were ideal for our party and everyone had a great stay.

Location - Amazing, just off the Royal Mile and surrounded by lots of bars and restaurants

Facilities - Bar was awesome that stayed open till 01:00 in the morning and servered a great full breakfast in the morning. We had lunch there also which was to a great standard and very cheap for what you get.

Rooms - I have stayed at many top hotels and the shower in our private 6 dorm room was amazing. The beds were more then comfortable.

For those who moan about cleanliness........you must have been staying at the grungy looking hostel up the road as it certainly was not the hostel.

I and the other 6 in our party had a fantastic stay and if we ever return to Edinburgh again we will definately be booking to return to Smart City Hostels once again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

It's great to get such positive feedback. The team really love feedback of this nature, because we do always try hard to make every guests stay an excellent one.

Do let us know if you are coming back to Edinburgh. Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 28 June 2012

SmartCity Edinburgh Hostel isn’t the best establishment. It is in a good location, but lacks cleanliness and has rude and impersonal staff. I wish I had taken pictures of stairway. You can see copious amount of dust/dirt on the sides of the stairwell as you enter. My bathroom was not clean at all and there were fecal remains on the toilet. I asked when the bathrooms were cleaned and was told every 3 days (disgusting). Additionally, while I was on the top bunk was troubled to see a thick layer of dust on top of the locker stand.

If enough reviewers are saying this than any person would have to acknowledge that it has some truth. A bland corporate response is not comforting.
“Cleanliness is an area that our guests normally rate us really well on. We are sorry if you did not have the same experience.”

Secondly, the staff was rude and impersonal. There were a lot of employees- a different face at the reception desk everyday. It seems that most of them were not trained properly. I was told to wait even though the receptionist was not busy. Secondly, the staff did not follow normal procedure of informing us about the amenities of the hostel. The receptionist did not inform me that there was free internet available at the bar (which I found out from a hostelmate), or that there was a guest kitchen, or that there was a luggage storage room, or that there was free breakfast. In fact, when I asked at a later time the receptionist said that there was NO free breakfast at all! Which is false! A continental breakfast of tea, coffee, juice, water, and toast is available for free (you have to pay for the full English breakfast). Additionally, I paid exorbitantly for internet before I found out of the free internet! The staff is impersonal and incompetent but also does not inform us of the amenities of the hostel, which is contrary to all of the other hostels I have stayed at. How are we supposed to enjoy out stay if we are not informed properly of the amenities? Normal protocol “Your room number is 102 sir. We have free breakfast and wifi. Please see us if you have any questions.”

I also witnessed the staff acting like bad landlords. While waiting in reception, I saw a guest ask of he could extend his stay. The receptionist said: “You should have done that yesterday, I will have to charge you a late checkout fee in addition to the cost of another night”. The guest was upset and decided to pay the fee and to leave. What type of business practice is this? Firstly, the staff is too rude to inform us of the checkout time (in addition to the amenities of the hostel). Secondly, is it more profitable to charge late checkout fees than it is to have a guest stay another night? Common sense would tell me encouraging the main source of revenue (guest staying at night), would be more beneficial.

Lastly, there is a lack of communication between the staff and they are rude as well. I asked to check out early as I was not satisfied with the hostel and wanted to move out. A lady with red hair told me that as long as I told her before midnight, I could cancel 2 days and receive a refund. Another gentleman was there when I came back from dinner (around 9:30 PM). I told him of my 48 our notice and he said everything would be good. I saw a refund a day later for 1 night and asked about the other day’s refund- I was told it would be taken care of. 2 weeks later, I have still not received a refund and emailed about it. The response I got was that I had not given a 24 hour notice and not a 48 hour notice. I responded with the same information I mentioned earlier-that I spoke to a gentleman around 9:00 PM after speaking to the lady with red hair-which was 48 hours. The response I got was:: “According to our computer system, the time and the date of the cancellation was made at 6:30am on the 14th of June by Adam. This is accurate. Sorry for any confusion this has caused but it is clearly stated in our terms and conditions.”.

Really, I was up and in reception 6:30 AM to give my notice? (especially when I have a tour reserved at 9:30). It seems that Adam forgot to record the notice until 6:30. Please check your security footage SmartCity- I was there around 9:30 PM the night before, and was sleep at 6:30. It is not polite or proper to accuse international guests of lying.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SMDoc1
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thanks for your review.

As you will understand, coming into the busier summer months, we employ more team members, therefore training takes place. Part of our ethos here is to give everyone on shift a chance to develop their skills and learn their role thoroughly - it's what we are all about. You may have experienced slower and not fully polished service due to this. Your feedback is appreciated however, and has been given to our reception manager.

We do not operate a free breakfast. Everyone pays for breakfast and you should have been doing so also. The breakfast price we have includes a continental and hot cooked breakfast. Whether you have only the continental breakfast, or only the cooked breakfast, or both, it's the same price.

Our toilets and rooms are cleaned after every stay checks out, before other guests check in. During your stay, your room will be cleaned lightly every day, and a full deep clean every 3 days as standard, if the total of your stay exceeds 3 days. We have an established house keeping team who fully clean and check room cleanliness constantly. You refer to the few reviews on trip advisor by those pointing out cleanliness issues, yet don't refer to the biggest majority that praise our cleanliness.