1,318 results
All reviews jacuzzi suite no lift chateaubriand stockbridge area nespresso machine boutique hotel lovely hotel listed building on arrival top floor quiet street small hotel full scottish breakfast george street a wonderful stay high ceilings city centre
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and myself stayed here for 3 nights for his 30th birthday. The first night we stayed in a petite double room and the second two nights in the Gloucester suite. Both rooms were beautifully decorated and the suite was huge! Especially enjoyed the jacuzzi bath! The hotel itself is beautiful and set in on a quiet street, less than 10mins walk from Princes Street.
The breakfast is one of the best breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel, I enjoyed the vegetarian breakfast and my boyfriend loved the scottish breakfast, complete with haggis!
The thing that made the hotel so great was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, especially those on reception.
We first stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and its just as good as we remembered it. Hopefully, it won't be four years until we come again!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NiraCaledoniaTeam, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful comments and feedback especially since you are a returning guest.

The team will be truly delighted to have your recognition.

We certainly wish to welcome you back sooner rather than waiting another four years!!

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Lets start with the hotel;
My wife and I arrived last night for a night away from the kids, we were greeted by a nice chap who had clearly read my reservation, a good start. Although the check in point is a little strange, a tight squeeze to get past anyone checking in. We were shown to our room which was in a neighbouring building, I don't remember reading about this on the hotel website. It looks like they had an original building and wanting to expand have subsequently acquired the town house 2 doors down. This is not a problem, unless it's raining, which it does quite a lot in Edinburgh! Seriously, it's a 10 yard walk and is no issue at all. The Georgian buildings look lovely from the outside and do not disappoint once inside. We had booked a "petite double" and it was exactly as described, petite, but perfectly formed! Beautiful full length casement windows afforded a view towards Stockbridge, nice touches such as complimentary water and a coffee machine. Into the bathroom and you're greeted by a modern suite with L'occitane guest amenities. All very nice. Overall, the hotel is nice and we would stay again. It's a lovely boutique style hotel place perfectly placed for ease of access to Edinburgh city centre or Stockbridge, the former a mere 5-10 minute walk south and the latter a 5 minute walk north. In terms of location this is perfect, away from the hustle and bustle but a stone's throw should you fancy a walk. Now to the restaurant (Blackwoods)....
Restaurant;
We had booked a table for 2 for 7.30pm, having perused the menu online we had chosen pre-arrival, sadly one major component of the seafood/meat menu was Lobster which was unavailable due to supplier issues, that was a shame and I gather that the online menu is to be updated imminently. So, starting with mussels and a fish platter we got stuck in! Mussels good, platter good although a little attention to detail would have made it excellent - examples; fish platter but no lemon, bowl of lovely mussels with fantastic broth but no bread. For me this is what makes a good plate of food excellent. yes I could have asked for lemon and bread...should we have to? Main course, we both chose fillet steak, one cooked medium and the other medium rare, unfortunately neither were right - maybe they had mixed them up, a basic error but possible I suspect. By the time we noticed the error we had covered the steaks in our chosen sauces, too late! However, we made the restaurant manager aware of the issue and he acted promptly and efficiently. We were happy with the response and I would not criticise the way this was managed in any way, my only concern was with the kitchen making such a basic error. however, the manager's response meant that it was dealt with professionally. The menu is not huge, there are limited options which in my view is an advantage, good quality ingredients and well presented food, just what most of us want I suspect.

Breakfast; Just what I had hoped for, lovely quality, perfectly cooked and plenty of choice. One small criticism, we noticed that it depended who was your particular server as to what you were offered...let me explain. A young lady wearing a suit was serving half the guests, she was attentive and we constantly heard her asking guests if they would like more coffee/tea etc. The second young lady was far less attentive, we had to ask for everything. A small point but slightly annoying, the service should be consistent, maybe the lady wearing the suit could take the other girl under her wing and explain!

Summary
Would we go back, yes without hesitation. Would I recommend the hotel, I certainly would, the restaurant, yes. Just one word of advise to the restaurant team...attention to detail, little things that make the difference (lemon/bead). We hope to return soon.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael_1271994

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your highly detailed comments and feedback. I will ensure that these are shared out with the team members.

You say you will return, I certainly wish to welcome you back in the very near future.

Chris Lynch

Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed for just 3 nights, but wish it had of been longer. We booked a petite double and it was lovely. Just big enough for us for the couple of nights. We received complimentary champagne and the room had a Nespresso machine with pods provided, a nice bonus. The view from the window was beautiful. The staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. Perfect location, not too far from the Royal mile but just enough out of the way (about a 5 min walk). We didn't try the dinner here but the breakfast was delicious and I would definitely recommend getting the full Scottish breakfast. The building we stayed in isn't suitable for people with walking difficulties as it has a very large staircase. I would recommend this hotel to couple who want to get away for a nice break, and would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Sam R

Dear Guest,

Great to receive and read your feedback and comments. The team will be highly delighted to have your recognition.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

I have now stayed here twice. The first time I forgot my toothpaste, and the gentleman on reception went off and bought me a tube without charge. The second time I forgot my comb, and once again within a few minutes I was provided with one free of charge. I was not made to feel embarrassed by my forgetfulness. This really is five star service. In both cases and member of staff had to go out and buy the item in question not just raid the stock cupboard.

Aside from that, the food is excellent, the rooms and the hotel are really nicely done up in two classic New Town houses.

The rooms are not large but they are well appointed, and I think that nira Caledonia is the best value hotel I have found for my monthly trips to Edinburgh.

It is warm, intimate, and welcoming. Highly recommended.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Marny_10
NiraCaledoniaTeam, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks ever so much for your very kind comments, they are most welcome. Comments as such from a returning guest really do speak volumes. We firmly believe that the small things make the biggest difference! The team will be delighted to read your feedback.

You say you travel frequently to Edinburgh, we'd love to be your "home-from-home", don't hesitate to get in touch directly.

Assuring you of our best attentions at all times,

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Visited here just for the night at the end of February. Lovely staff on reception, let us leave our bags and coats as we were early for check in. Gorgeous hotel in general, inside and out. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had, so much selection! Will definitely visit the hotel if in Edinburgh again.

Dear Guest,

Great to have your endorsements! We'd be delighted to welcome you back!