“Busy but worth it”

Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 12
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: ting-thai CARAVAN restaurant for all ages, tasty Thai food and drinks in a funky space with lively atmosphere and all for an affordable price. Best to get there early to avoid disappointment as it fills quickly, a popular day and nightspot.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Delicious food, we got there before dinner rush so we manage to get a comfortable sitting space, but I wouldn’t recommend eating in if you’re not fine with a more casual, layer back environment. Food amazing, nice young lively vibe, will definitely be back!

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Great place amazing food perfectly cooked staff where brilliant couldn't be more polite and helpful (thank you ) great prices quick service left me and my partner very happy

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This place would have been a perfect lunch if not for the bad attitude of most of the staff there.

However, the place is clearly always very busy - we got there at 12 for an early lunch and the place was already almost full. I think the staff might take advantage of this fact to think they can act how they like and it won't affect business.

However, I'll talk about the good things first. The prices are VERY reasonable, around £6 a main (for a good portion) in a city which can be fairly pricey. The portions are filling, even for an appetite as big as mine. I ordered a kind of seafood soup with crispy fried noodles on the top. At first I was worried because I only like prawns and mussels when theyre really fresh but I decided to take a risk and wasn't disappointed. The prawns were melt-in-the-mouth and the squid wasn't fishy or chewy at all. The soup was spicy but not too hot and had an interesting balance of flavours which I wouldn't be able to achieve at home. The pickled vegetables also went well on the side.

Now, the reason why I only gave 3 stars - the staff need to sort their attitudes out before they start scaring off customers. I probably wouldn't go back just for this reason, despite the great food. First of all, it took ages to get someone to print us the bill, and she just slammed it on the table and left without explaining whether we paid at the table or at the counter. I REALLY don't mind either way - it just would have been nice if someone told us. So another 10 minutes of waiting and trying to catch her eye ensued - but she was too busy drinking and chatting to her mate behind the bar.

So eventually I went up to the bar and asked to pay at the bar and split the bill, and one of the waitresses literally INTERRUPTED ME and said "we don't split bills" as if I'd just asked to chop her head off. Alright, it's a bit controversial if you don't split bills seeing as ANY group of friends is going to want to split the bill when they go in - but at least tell me nicely and don't shout it in my face thanks. Why wouldn't you split a bill? All it takes is 1 minute of calculation and everyone's happy. I've never before been told I can't split a bill - get with the times please.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Dear readers,

I am keeping it very simple.

- Food is good.

- Staff are vile (seriously, they were unnecessarily obnoxious on multiple occasions) and judging by the reviews I am certainly not alone.

I never write reviews, but felt rather strongly on how bad we were treated.

In conclusion - order as a takeaway, that way you enjoy the food and avoid the staff.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I had heard good reports about ting Thai and was quite excited to go. The food was superb and up there with the best Thai food you will have, that’s where it stops.

The table arrangement was poor and they pack you in like clowns in a mini. Their is hardly enough space to sit comfortably never mind eat a meal.

Once sat down you realise the menu is pretty good and easy to navigate and also very reasonably priced! At the top of the menu in bold lettering it says cash only. In this day in age that is a statement more than anything else, likely to fit in with the rude staff and hipster vibe. The woman serving asked us within 60 seconds if we were ready to order so we asked for a minute and then ones we had decided she wouldn’t even look at us. She walked past numerous times before we had to ask her if we could order and she seemed annoyed about something? We ordered and then went to get cash from a near by cash point. On return to the restaurant we sat down and the food came out and we were missing some side dishes from our order so I mentioned it and again the lady seemed annoyed. The dishes came out
Almost as we finished our mains.

At the end my friend and I asked if we could split the bill and she told us bluntly ‘we don’t split bills’ and walked off. I went over to the till and just asked if it was possible to do it this time because I needed a separate receipt for work and she replied sharply ‘we don’t split bills’.

If you expect good manners and a friendly service don’t waste your time. I won’t be back for a long time

1  Thank Chris G