2,595 results
All reviews waverley station cockburn street great location royal mile plug sockets airport bus continental breakfast boiled eggs rooms are basic great shower central location christmas market a stones throw double bed short stay would definitely stay here again shower room
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is one of the worst hotel I have ever experienced. The hotel is comprised of two buildings. Our room was located on the fourth floor in the Cowburn Street building. In order to access our room, you have to take the elevator to the fifth floor, walk through a maze of corridors with up and down stairs, take a second elevator and go down to the fourth floor. Since the hotel has no luggage carrier, this is a painful travel to your room. The room was clean but small. There is no restaurant in the hotel. The breakfast is served in the bar. I would never returned to this hotel.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
206aross, General Manager at Motel One Edinburgh-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear paqujac

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Motel One have a very specific design concept, and our building is incredibly old and unique, which means we are not suitable for everyone. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and hope that you still managed to enjoy the time you spent in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The rooms are beautiful. Everyone was nice and friendly. Breakfast is very good and we loved The great view in The breakfast room. Also The hotel ist perfect located in The Center. Will definetely book this again!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had a great stay here. The location was amazing - so close to the Old and New Towns - and everything was within walking distance, including the airport bus stop.

Staff were friendly. Lots of groups were staying and when I needed to extend my stay an extra night, I was told that the motel was fully booked. However, staff were excellent and when a cancellation occurred, booked me in for an extra night.

Great breakfast, too!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2018

This motel is on a prime central location, just a short walk away from Edinburgh Castle and several other sights of interest. There are places to dine in and shopping opportunities just a stone throw away!

Breakfast is very limited, only some cold pastries and cereals so don't expect to fully dine in this location.

The motel itself is something else. My room was clean and comfortable, no complaints there, but the trek to get to my room was an experience on its own. I had a room on the fourth floor but it was in a separate building, which was only accessible by first going to the fifth floor of the main building. After this you had to walk all the way to the other side and then take an elevator down (or up) to your floor, after which in a worst situation you might need to walk all the way back to reach your room. Then whenever you wanted to go out, you'd need to do all of this again. During one of these treks I actually timed how long it took for me to reach my room from the main elevator, and it was a three minute walk without luggage and I was fortune enough to have my room rather close.

Frankly this seemed even unsafe, and based on this I would NOT recommend this motel for anyone who is hard of mobility. While there are elevators, there are still some stairs just in the hallways to get to your room.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
206aross, Manager at Motel One Edinburgh-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear RangeR,

Our building is very old, and parts of it date back to the 1600s, so we are a very unique layout. As you described, some of our rooms are located in an annexe building on Cockburn Street. However the majority of our rooms are located in the main building, including 11 rooms which are adapted for guests with mobility issues.

We always recommend that guests let us know in advance if they have mobility issues, or would require a room located in the main building, so that we can plan ahead. Although we cannot always guarantee this, we do our absolute best to grant all guest requests, especially requests which relate to health concerns.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in future.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

I can’t say enough about this hotel. It is very reasonably priced and in an excellent location. You can take the airport bus to Waverly Bridge and the hotel is just steps away. The staff are friendly. We didn’t have a safe in the room which should be a standard now days. The room is very well laid out for the price. Now days, I like to rate a room for their hair dryers (joking) but this was the first hotel I have stayed in where the hair dryer is better than mine at home. We had the breakfast the first day at it was pretty good. I would highly recommend this hotel and I will definitely stay here on my next visit to this wonderful city!

Stayed: September 2018
2  Thank swisscan

Dear Swisscan

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. We agree, our hairdryers are excellent!

We take on board your comments about the safe and I am pleased to say that we are lucky enough to receive a refurbishment in January, and safes will become standard in all guest rooms after this point.

We hope you will return to the hotel next year to try us again after our makeover!