See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 April 2016

We booked an apartment to see our son who is at University and watch the international. The room we were offered looked over a building site was noisy and the workers could see straight in through the windows. A second room offered was at street level, noisy and had cheap and damaged furniture. The rooms look nothing like the photos. As it was international weekend we had to spend £600 for suitable replacement. As seen from other reviews Scott Coleman of Grand Scotia was nothing but rude in his correspondence and threatened to sue me if I wrote this review. Finally he agreed to settle to pay £150 back but after a month we have not seen the money. He has made the excuse by e mail he has been in hospital. If he can write an e mail he can certainly set up a bank transfer. I am now taking him to the Sheriff courts out of principal. ***Beware***

Room Tip: get a room not overlooking a building site
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

So we booked these apartments for a hen party for last month through the MD Scott? Never have I received such bad customer service from him. When we booked this place he was aware it was a hen party even though he mentioned that they don't normally accept it but as long as we behaved then it would be fine. Therefore he had a month to let us know if he didn't want us to stay there. The website doesn't say that they don't accept hen parties either!

Communication with Scott was awful from the beginning... I had to chase him numerous times to just confirm the transfers. He ignored my phone calls and emails, and in the end (the night before) he finally confirmed it was booked!

When we got there, we left our bags there as check in was few ours later. So we had arranged a gorgeous lunch for the bride to be...while eating we got a call from scotia grande to say that we can no longer stay at the apartments as they conveniently had a gas leak! They couldn't put us up in a like for like apartment in the whole of Edinburgh and were the most unhelpful people. Bearing in mind we were 7 girls from the Midlands and didn't know the area very well! All they told us was that they can refund us the money... And had no intention of helping us find an alternative.
It put a real downer on our weekend when it was meant to be a special weekend for the bride to be. We didn't mind if they were sympathetic or apologetic about it, but they were rude and tried their best to get rid of us.

Never had anyone experienced such bad customer service from anyone before. And we were shocked!

Reading back on their reviews... Looks like this is not the first time they have come up with a poor excuse... If they didn't want us there, they had a month to tell us instead of ruining our weekend!

I have never written a trip advisor review before but I felt this was definitely necessary.....I will never recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
10  Thank Roops D
Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in the one bedroom apartment. It was absolutely fabulous, immaculately clean and well equipped for
Self catering it had everything you could possibly need in a kitchen, even had a full spice rack. There was also a fresh bottle of milk in the fridge when we arrived including sachets of tea coffee and sugar. The views were amazing, although I have to note we stayed on the 8th floor so we had brilliant views of Edinburgh castle but if you looked down you saw workmen and construction as they are building more apartments opposite so might have not been as nice had we been any lower. This is not however any reflection of the apartment company there's not a lot they can do about that. Also just to mention if you are driving up to the location the place you have to pick up the keys is about a 5 minute drive away but there is no parking near the office so we had to park at the car park next to the castle and walk about 15 minutes to the office, parking cost £5.50. There are other alternatives so just make sure you research this before you go.
Staff member Clair at the office was very knowledgeable of parking/surrounding area and very friendly if you have any questions.
Right next to the apartment was a fresh bakery shop looked nice but we didn't use, and a Starbucks and sainsburys local so you don't need to take food if you don't want to you can just buy from there.
Very close to Scottish museum, about 10 mins and about 15 mins walk to the castle.
All in all a great place to stay i would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xmorgansx
Reviewed 26 February 2016

I arrived with my young son at the apartment on two hours early on check-in day and was told there was water damage in one of the apartments but to come back 2 hours later and all should be fine. I received a phone call from someone in the office 10 min before check-in who informed me the damaged apartment was the actual one I was meant to be staying in and could I spend one night at the Mariott which I duly did as it was only meant to be for one night and was promised an apartment the following day. Scott Coleman the managing director of Scotia grand did not come and find me as promised - but instead I had to chase him on the Thursday as to what was going on - ideally I should have been in the apartment the day before but was told by Scott to wait another 15 minutes. 25 minutes later, I again with my young son went off to find him bearing in mind i had now checked out of the Mariott so had luggage with me only to be told by Scott that there was no apartment now and that could I stay at the Mariott Hotel instead - which was one room as opposed to staying in a one bedroom apartment! (not comparable in any way, shape or form) Scott informed me that there was nothing he could do and that was it - when i told him thats not good enough he walked away saying "well we can't resolve this so goodbye".....i actually asked him if he was fine walking away from someone who had booked and paid for an apartment and arrived from London with a child and his response in more or less words - yes!
I found Scott incredibly aggressive and he came across as if he was doing me a favour by suggesting the Mariott hotel but after staying there the one night it was ok but certainly not worth the amount i had paid to book the whole apartment at the Q-mile as opposed to a room in the Mariott.
Scott obviously has no care or concern regarding his paying customers - i understand water damage occurs without any prior warning but the way Scott handled the situation with me was unprofessional and horrendous. It partly ruined my stay in Edinburgh as finding something last minute with a child and luggage in tow not ideal.....had Scott been honest with me on the first day of check in, I could have had time to search for another apartment rather than stand outside trying to find somewhere else to stay. My booking was for wednesday 17th Feb but i noticed Scotia grand tooK payment out on the Sunday 14th Feb....(3 days earlier than check-in) and i'm still waiting on my refund!
Having now looked other people's review regarding scotia grand/Q-mile, I have noticed that there have been a few other complaints about similar problems - whether it be water damage or fire damage.

Stayed: February 2016
8  Thank Shab1000
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Fantastic apartment, modern with everything you could want. Very close to the centre of town and easy walking distance to everything! Loved it!! Has everything you need to be self catering and well sound proofed

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank kimpX1925CM