“Worst customer service I have ever experienced!”

Scotia Grand Residence - Quartermile Apartments
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

So we booked these apartments for a hen party for last month through the MD Scott? Never have I received such bad customer service from him. When we booked this place he was aware it was a hen party even though he mentioned that they don't normally accept it but as long as we behaved then it would be fine. Therefore he had a month to let us know if he didn't want us to stay there. The website doesn't say that they don't accept hen parties either!

Communication with Scott was awful from the beginning... I had to chase him numerous times to just confirm the transfers. He ignored my phone calls and emails, and in the end (the night before) he finally confirmed it was booked!

When we got there, we left our bags there as check in was few ours later. So we had arranged a gorgeous lunch for the bride to be...while eating we got a call from scotia grande to say that we can no longer stay at the apartments as they conveniently had a gas leak! They couldn't put us up in a like for like apartment in the whole of Edinburgh and were the most unhelpful people. Bearing in mind we were 7 girls from the Midlands and didn't know the area very well! All they told us was that they can refund us the money... And had no intention of helping us find an alternative.
It put a real downer on our weekend when it was meant to be a special weekend for the bride to be. We didn't mind if they were sympathetic or apologetic about it, but they were rude and tried their best to get rid of us.

Never had anyone experienced such bad customer service from anyone before. And we were shocked!

Reading back on their reviews... Looks like this is not the first time they have come up with a poor excuse... If they didn't want us there, they had a month to tell us instead of ruining our weekend!

I have never written a trip advisor review before but I felt this was definitely necessary.....I will never recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
10  Thank Roops D

Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in the one bedroom apartment. It was absolutely fabulous, immaculately clean and well equipped for
Self catering it had everything you could possibly need in a kitchen, even had a full spice rack. There was also a fresh bottle of milk in the fridge when we arrived including sachets of tea coffee and sugar. The views were amazing, although I have to note we stayed on the 8th floor so we had brilliant views of Edinburgh castle but if you looked down you saw workmen and construction as they are building more apartments opposite so might have not been as nice had we been any lower. This is not however any reflection of the apartment company there's not a lot they can do about that. Also just to mention if you are driving up to the location the place you have to pick up the keys is about a 5 minute drive away but there is no parking near the office so we had to park at the car park next to the castle and walk about 15 minutes to the office, parking cost £5.50. There are other alternatives so just make sure you research this before you go.
Staff member Clair at the office was very knowledgeable of parking/surrounding area and very friendly if you have any questions.
Right next to the apartment was a fresh bakery shop looked nice but we didn't use, and a Starbucks and sainsburys local so you don't need to take food if you don't want to you can just buy from there.
Very close to Scottish museum, about 10 mins and about 15 mins walk to the castle.
All in all a great place to stay i would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xmorgansx
Reviewed 26 February 2016

I arrived with my young son at the apartment on two hours early on check-in day and was told there was water damage in one of the apartments but to come back 2 hours later and all should be fine. I received a phone call from someone in the office 10 min before check-in who informed me the damaged apartment was the actual one I was meant to be staying in and could I spend one night at the Mariott which I duly did as it was only meant to be for one night and was promised an apartment the following day. Scott Coleman the managing director of Scotia grand did not come and find me as promised - but instead I had to chase him on the Thursday as to what was going on - ideally I should have been in the apartment the day before but was told by Scott to wait another 15 minutes. 25 minutes later, I again with my young son went off to find him bearing in mind i had now checked out of the Mariott so had luggage with me only to be told by Scott that there was no apartment now and that could I stay at the Mariott Hotel instead - which was one room as opposed to staying in a one bedroom apartment! (not comparable in any way, shape or form) Scott informed me that there was nothing he could do and that was it - when i told him thats not good enough he walked away saying "well we can't resolve this so goodbye".....i actually asked him if he was fine walking away from someone who had booked and paid for an apartment and arrived from London with a child and his response in more or less words - yes!
I found Scott incredibly aggressive and he came across as if he was doing me a favour by suggesting the Mariott hotel but after staying there the one night it was ok but certainly not worth the amount i had paid to book the whole apartment at the Q-mile as opposed to a room in the Mariott.
Scott obviously has no care or concern regarding his paying customers - i understand water damage occurs without any prior warning but the way Scott handled the situation with me was unprofessional and horrendous. It partly ruined my stay in Edinburgh as finding something last minute with a child and luggage in tow not ideal.....had Scott been honest with me on the first day of check in, I could have had time to search for another apartment rather than stand outside trying to find somewhere else to stay. My booking was for wednesday 17th Feb but i noticed Scotia grand tooK payment out on the Sunday 14th Feb....(3 days earlier than check-in) and i'm still waiting on my refund!
Having now looked other people's review regarding scotia grand/Q-mile, I have noticed that there have been a few other complaints about similar problems - whether it be water damage or fire damage.

Stayed: February 2016
8  Thank Shab1000
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Fantastic apartment, modern with everything you could want. Very close to the centre of town and easy walking distance to everything! Loved it!! Has everything you need to be self catering and well sound proofed

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank kimpX1925CM
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Go somewhere else!!!. Unfortunately we received a phone call from Booking.com 3 days before Christmas to stay our reservation had been cancelled by Scotia. They could not give me an explanation why. I rang Scotia and eventually spoke to Scott-the Managing Director. He told me the reservation had been cancelled 4 months ago because they no longer took bookings through them and that Booking.com should have notified us. I asked for this to be resolved as this was a gift to my parents for a 65th and 70th Birthday mine and husband's Wedding Anniversary. Scott initially said it was not his fault and told me it was my responsibility to sort with Booking.com. Eventually he said he would try to sort something by the next day. I had to chase him up several times. I spoke to him daily and did not find out for definite were we were staying until Boxing day. The stress and worry of it all spoilt my families Christmas. We should have been staying g in a 4 bed apartment. Now we were in a one 2 bed apartment plus camp bed and a one 1 bed on separate floors. The camp bed was not big enough for my teenage daughter or boyfriend so they ended up in a double which I was not happy about at all and my son on the camp bed in their room. My mum and dads room was small and neither of my parents happy. We were supposed to be eating together and having fun, now it was awkward. Scott the MD was a business man and that was evident . He was not prepared to offer anything to compensate for all the hassle and inconvenience and was not understanding to our cause. Infact a little arrogant at times. The concierge was his dad and step mum which I found out just before we left. They were both very helpful and understanding but limited as to what they could do. I told them I found Scott rude and provided poor customer service and a typical business attitude. His step mum was diplomatic but said she new exactly what I was talking about. I went to pay the bill as I could not face speaking with Scott again. I text Scott upon our exit informing him we had paid but also telling him the break had been a disaster. He never replied. If I wanted to complain it would need to go to him. I do not want to prolong the agony, Christmas and New Year was terrible and it was not a special occasion for anyone. We have booked to go to Edinburgh next year, staying in a Premier Inn overlooking the castle. £400 cheaper and breakfast in. The apartments are over rated. We had no coat hangers in one, no plug for the sink to wash dishes and 4 chipped wine glasses and chipped furniture. My advice is look around, you can get better for your money. And if there was a problem with your trip he really comes across as though you are an inconvenience and he makes a habit of letting you know how grateful you should be. He needs to take a leaf out of his dad's and step mum's book and practice better customer care. At £807 for 3 nights you think you would get that. We had a great view and that was it! I would never go again because of his attitude. Mr & Mrs Suter

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family