“Great place to stay in Edinburgh”

Holyrood apartHOTEL
Ranked #76 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Traveled with two friends for our first ever trip to Scotland. This is the first time I've ever stayed in a suite-like hotel. Our suite had two bedrooms, two baths, a living area, and kitchen. Overall I was very impressed with Holyrood Aparthotel. It was a great value and I was pleasantly surprised at some of the details the Aparthotel brought.

(+ positive, - needs improvement, * neutral)

+ I was floored by the value of this hotel. I really felt that I got more from the hotel than what I paid for! I never felt like this for any hotel. When we entered the suite for the first time, we thought it was really nice that there was a welcome basket of basic provisions (cereal, cookies, a loaf of bread, jams, and other snacks) and the fridge had milk, orange juice, and yogurt. I was surprised when the receptionist said all of that was complimentary.

+ Rooms: The rooms were a good size. Because the hotel was situated in the middle of a court, there wasn't much of a window view (you're looking into other buildings or the parking lot) but this was no concern to me. I did think the beds were a bit firm but I did sleep comfortably each night. There was a safe in one of the bedrooms. Wished there was one in my bedroom. I did find it weird that our suite was all connected by a hallway instead of connected by the living room. The bathroom was a good size. The shower was small but I think standard for European hotels. I did find it annoying that the sink drain needed some adjusting so that it wouldn't drain too slow. The living room and kitchen was modern looking and clean. The living room had a sofa/chairs, a TV, DVD, and mini stereo. There was a small dining table with chairs. The kitchen had everything we needed: small microwave, fridge, stove, dishwasher, sink, dishes, utensils (both cooking and eating - more than I have in my own house!), and there was even a washing machine/dryer in there!

+ Location: We were actually in Edinburgh for the Rock 'n Roll Edinburgh Half Marathon at Holyrood Park. So we picked this hotel because of the proximity to the race start line. It just required a less than five minute walk! The hotel is about a one minute walk from the Royal Mile though granted you are at the bottom of the Royal Mile so you'll need to walk about five to ten minutes to get to Edinburgh Castle and all the major sights. The hotel is also about a two minute walk from a Tesco Express so you can get your provisions/money from the ATM there. You are also about a two minute walk from the bus stop to catch the #35 bus to the airport.

* I think what makes this hotel a great value is because there is not onsite restaurant, shop, gym, etc. But this was not what I was looking for in this hotel. You just need to turn the corner and you'll see restaurants :)

* Staff: The staff was very good to us. We arrived at the hotel early and they allowed us to store our luggage in the lobby. They also assisted us with restaurant choices, sights, bus routes, and quickly remedied an issue where we needed an extra bath towel. I really liked how we got housekeeping services (fresh towels, beds made, suite cleaned). We were considering renting a townhouse in Edinburgh but we're glad we stayed at Aparthotel!

Overall, if you're looking for a luxury hotel that has spa services, chocolate on your pillow, a gym, restaurant, nice view, etc, Aparthotel is not the place for you. But in terms of basic services, Aparthotel is top notch. I really think this is a good hotel for groups and families. I definitely recommend Aparthotel if you're visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Very centrally located (7' walk from the train station) and very comfortable. Especially for families this one should be the greatest choice. All rooms have a mini kitchen, two bathrooms and a lounge to watch TV or DVD. The price is reasonable compared to Edinburgh prices in general. Just be prepared that there is no restaurant or bar, it is a self- catered, nice and quiet place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VB1284
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was a lucky find...very reasonable online rates for a couple of nights, and great to have a full kitchen and lounge area to yourself! Beds comfy and clean , bathrooms good...heating at your control ...a few cosmetic cracks around window need attention and a broken roller blind...but apart from that a brilliant place to stop! Brakfast basket at extra charge was perfectly adequate too.
Relatively quiet for a central location although a little tricky for our taxi driver to locate in the first place even with satnav!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2012

By far the best value of any hotel we have stayed in the UK. What a great city and a nice big apartment to retire to. Full kitchen and two bathrooms. Plenty of room for my wife, daughter and I

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank oasistrop
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We just finished an 8 night stay at the Holyrood Aparthotel.

This by far the perfect place for a base while staying in Edinburgh!

Our two daughters are studying at the university for the next few years and we found this hotel with its full kitchens to work perfectly.
The daughters would come over from the their dorm rooms for meals and some real home cooking.
Every single kitchen utensil was there. We even had our favorite press coffee maker. The room we had wine and martini glasses as well. A toaster as well. Great quality kitchen items to use. A nice big frying pan was great for pancakes.
A washer dryer and a dishwasher were an added bonus. Dishwasher and laundry soap were there as well.
A nice flat screen TV with a DVD player. They even have DVDs downstairs in the lobby.

There is a TESCO food store two minutes away with fresh meats, vegtables, breads and pastries. (cold wine too!) We didn't need the breads, milk and OJ to start as the hotel had given us everything including tea in a nice welcome package.
The room we had was a two bedroom with an ensuite in the main bedroom and another 3 piece across from the room with the two single rooms.

If you are coming from the airport or train station you can take a #36 bus right to the hotel from Waverly Station. Its just a short walk up a side street.

If you have a family or just the two of you this is your place. You will really feel like you are staying at home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends