Traveled with two friends for our first ever trip to Scotland. This is the first time I've ever stayed in a suite-like hotel. Our suite had two bedrooms, two baths, a living area, and kitchen. Overall I was very impressed with Holyrood Aparthotel. It was a great value and I was pleasantly surprised at some of the details the Aparthotel brought.
(+ positive, - needs improvement, * neutral)
+ I was floored by the value of this hotel. I really felt that I got more from the hotel than what I paid for! I never felt like this for any hotel. When we entered the suite for the first time, we thought it was really nice that there was a welcome basket of basic provisions (cereal, cookies, a loaf of bread, jams, and other snacks) and the fridge had milk, orange juice, and yogurt. I was surprised when the receptionist said all of that was complimentary.
+ Rooms: The rooms were a good size. Because the hotel was situated in the middle of a court, there wasn't much of a window view (you're looking into other buildings or the parking lot) but this was no concern to me. I did think the beds were a bit firm but I did sleep comfortably each night. There was a safe in one of the bedrooms. Wished there was one in my bedroom. I did find it weird that our suite was all connected by a hallway instead of connected by the living room. The bathroom was a good size. The shower was small but I think standard for European hotels. I did find it annoying that the sink drain needed some adjusting so that it wouldn't drain too slow. The living room and kitchen was modern looking and clean. The living room had a sofa/chairs, a TV, DVD, and mini stereo. There was a small dining table with chairs. The kitchen had everything we needed: small microwave, fridge, stove, dishwasher, sink, dishes, utensils (both cooking and eating - more than I have in my own house!), and there was even a washing machine/dryer in there!
+ Location: We were actually in Edinburgh for the Rock 'n Roll Edinburgh Half Marathon at Holyrood Park. So we picked this hotel because of the proximity to the race start line. It just required a less than five minute walk! The hotel is about a one minute walk from the Royal Mile though granted you are at the bottom of the Royal Mile so you'll need to walk about five to ten minutes to get to Edinburgh Castle and all the major sights. The hotel is also about a two minute walk from a Tesco Express so you can get your provisions/money from the ATM there. You are also about a two minute walk from the bus stop to catch the #35 bus to the airport.
* I think what makes this hotel a great value is because there is not onsite restaurant, shop, gym, etc. But this was not what I was looking for in this hotel. You just need to turn the corner and you'll see restaurants :)
* Staff: The staff was very good to us. We arrived at the hotel early and they allowed us to store our luggage in the lobby. They also assisted us with restaurant choices, sights, bus routes, and quickly remedied an issue where we needed an extra bath towel. I really liked how we got housekeeping services (fresh towels, beds made, suite cleaned). We were considering renting a townhouse in Edinburgh but we're glad we stayed at Aparthotel!
Overall, if you're looking for a luxury hotel that has spa services, chocolate on your pillow, a gym, restaurant, nice view, etc, Aparthotel is not the place for you. But in terms of basic services, Aparthotel is top notch. I really think this is a good hotel for groups and families. I definitely recommend Aparthotel if you're visiting Edinburgh.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holyrood Aparthotel offers you best hotel accommodation in Edinburgh. Choose one of our exclusive self catering apartments and enjoy the privacy & services of a hotel room but with with the freedom and space more like home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holyrood apartHOTEL reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holyrood ApartHOTEL Edinburgh, Scotland
- Holyrood Aparthotel Hotel Edinburgh