“Greasy & overpriced”
Review of Chop Chop - CLOSED

Chop Chop
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: I am attempting to do a review of the Leith branch of this restaurant, but I can only find an entry for the Morrison Street premises. It looks like at least some of the reviews on the Morrison Street entry are actually intended to be about the Leith restaurant.
“Greasy & overpriced”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Having enjoyed a delivery at a friend's house from this highly acclaimed (judging by its awards & recognitions) establishment in the past, I was looking forward to my own delivery on this occasion. There was a warning on the website that deliveries could take up to 60mins to arrive - it actually turned out to be 65-70 minutes. From the large container that the delivery was produced from, it looked as though it was the last of a bulk of deliveries that had been ordered around that time (7pm) that evening. The delivery man and his colleague (with whom I had to speak on the phone to make some clarification re the order) were both pleasant & customer-friendly. However, I was most disappointed that the food turned out to be extremely greasy - not quite the memory I'd had from previous experience of a "healthier" Chinese delivery - the greens looked overcooked (although I'm fairly certain that they were fine when cooked & that this was the result of the delay in transit) and the food definitely wasn't worth the cost (eg £10-£11 for a "large" plate of aubergines which wasn't particularly large). Disappointingly (much as I'd like to convince myself that this was simply a bad night and that ordinarily the food is of the calibre I'd remembered from 6mths ago), taking all into consideration, I won't be ordering again.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank FF_Edinburgh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely food,get service!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have visited the Haymarket restaurant twice now, it's very basic inside & kinda looks like a cafe, don't let this put you off. The service is amazing they go all out to make sure your happy. The food is great but nothing like your standard Chinese food. The dumplings are fabulous & would recommend the eat all you can banquet!

• Visited January 2012
Edinburgh
“It's all about the dumplings.”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

You have to try the dumplings at Chop Chop - they are famous for it and have a really wide range of flavours available. I personally prefer the fried dumplings - you get less than the boiled ones but they are bigger.

The unlimited banquet is excellent value. They will swap things out if you don't like them (we don't like the prawn balls).

If you live locally then it is definitely worth signing up for their loyalty scheme - you get special offers and they send you vouchers on birthdays and anniversaries. They also deliver - but I wouldn't recommend the take away as the dumplings really do need to be served hot and fresh.

• Visited November 2011
Brisbane, Australia
“THIS is Chinese Food!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Last night, myself, my housemates and a friend went to Chop Chop. A Chinese restaurant near Haymarket.

It was my first visit to Chop Chop, but my housemates had eaten there before, and had said it would exceed any expectations I may have. That is setting the bar VERY high.

We had a drink down the road in Carter's Bar before heading down for our booking at six. We were only the second table in the restaurant. We had brought our own wine, and the bottles were taken as we opened our menus. Before I even had a chance to look into the options, my housemates mentioned, and we unanimously decided on Unlimited Banquet for 4. £19.90 p.p.

Its a fantastic concept whereby the plates are brought to the table, one of everything initially, then you request more as you'd like it.

The delicious banquet is as follows:

8 pork and coriander boiled dumplings (3)
8 chicken boiled dumplings (9)
4 pan-fried beef and chilli dumplings (41)
4 pan-fried prawn dumplings (53)
Large sweet and sour pork ribs (76)
Small cucumber salad (85)
Small shredded potato salad (861)
Large aubergines with garlic (92)
Crispy Northern Beef (749)
Small lamb with cumin seed (71)
Small crispy shredded potato (77)
Stir-fried chicken and potato (825)
Large boiled rice (serves four) (136)

First of all came the salads and 2 lots of dumplings. My favourite was the cucumber. The crispy potato was yum and tasted like sour cream and chives crisps! All of the dumplings were fantastic!

The meat dishes were all sensational and unlike anything I have ever tried. In all 3 cases the meat itself was perfectly cooked and tender. The ribs fell off the bone. The vegetables were all crisp and fresh. This is how Chinese is supposed to be!

The unanimous standout dish was the Aubergine. The flavour packed into this dish is inexplicable, and must simply be tried. We ended up getting 3 servings in total.

We decided after 3 sessions of food that enough was enough and ordered a pot of green tea to assist with digestion.

We left feeling full but not uncomfortable. This dining experience was truly memorable to me, and I simply can't wait to return to try more of their menu.

The place doesn't have much of an atmosphere, but this reminded me of the dining in Asia, where the food is the star, and in this case it is.

I would recommend booking, as the restaurant got very busy by 8.

One or two small gripes. £5 per bottle corkage is mental! I really don't like it when 10% service charge is added to a bill. Tips are tips and should be earned.

• Visited February 2012
“A bit different”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The north chinese cuisine makes a nice change from the typical cantonese fare in edinburgh. Lovely dumplings :)

Visited June 2011