“"Perfect in every way!!!"”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Ranked #9 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Belfast
“"Perfect in every way!!!"”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My boyfriend and i were going to a concert at the Usher hall, late March ( to see the fantastic Joe Bonamassa!) and didnt just want any hotel, it had to be somewhere special to make the whole experience perfect. We like quality and as soon as we came across this hotel on tripadvisor, we immediatly fell in love with it and i have to say the photo`s dont do it justice. It is absolutely stunning, and the staff are the most helpful and friendliest we have come across anywhere! The hotel has the perfect location for exploring both the old and new towns.
We booked the castle view room (no.11) and it was amazing! light and airey, spotlessly clean with a beautiful large wet room and a walk in rainfall shower, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable, everything you could possibly need was included in the room, even fresh milk and bottled water and the complimentary muffins and shortbread were delicious! We were amazed at how quiet the room was, considering the busy location but we didnt hear a noise from outside, the whole of our stay! We had a cooked breakfast on the two mornings, it was delicious and plenty of it, we were`nt hungry for hours afterwards! We ate dinner at the hotels Kyloe restaurant on the two nights of our stay. The restaurant specialises in steak and the knowledge of staff is outstanding. We had steak on the both nights it was that good!!!
We would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes somewhere unique. luxurious, spotlessly clean, amazing decor, truley scrumptious food and the friendliest staff you could ever meet. From the moment we walked through the door right up until we were leaving, there was a truely relaxing atmosphere, and we had an absolutely wonderful stay. We would like to say a big thank you to Claire who made our stay most enjoyable and really went out of her way to help us. We will most definately stay here again on our next trip to Edinburgh!!!

Room Tip: Room 11 is extremely quiet with a great castle view and large wetroom with walk in shower
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Hi guys,

Just a wee note to say thank you very much for writing such a great review for the hotel! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and that we could help make it memorable for you.

I wonder though, if you managed to get your flight home, with a Joe Bonamassa drum stick in your bag???

I look forward to having you back in the hotel,

Many thanks, and kind regards,
Edinburgh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Rutland Hotel in March.
We arrived by car, there is no off street parking at the hotel, the street outside is restricted residential parking permits or further down the street there is parking meters. When we enquired at the hotel where we could park we were directed to a multi storey car park that was part of a hotel chain about 10 minutes walk away. This car park charged £18 for greater than 8 hours per day.

We had booked a room with a spa bath. The room itself was nice with good quality furnishings, mini bar, and filter coffee. But for all intents and purposes there was no window. There was a window, but there was an extension from the room next door coming into our room that blocked the window so there was only about a 1 foot gap where the room was angled away from the window.

We had paid extra for a cooked breakfast each morning. The breakfast is served in the Rutland bar, as we had a good meal in the restaurant upstairs the night before we were looking forward to breakfast. But we should not have bothered it was rank.
The toast came on the plate on top of your breakfast with nowhere to put it when eating the breakfast. The potato scone was not cooked, the pork sausage was foul and the scrambled egg was overcooked.

We cancelled breakfast for the next day and they refunded us for both days breakfast.

If you plan to go to the Rutland hotel, take the train and pass on the cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: not room 6
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am a regular visitor to Edinburgh on business, and the Rutland is always my first choice hotel. The rooms are clean, bright and modern - the Executive Rooms on particular are very spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are really good, I love the rainfall showers, and the fact that it took me until about my tenth stay to work out that the lighting around the mirror worked by 'touch' says more about me than it does about the hotel!! The complimentary muffin and shortbreads are a great touch - I always take them home to my wife, who raves about them!!

The location is perfect for my business appointments, also within easy walking distance of many great bars and restaurants. Despite being on a major intersection, I have never been bothered by road noise.

The staff are always delightful, very friendly, welcoming and helpful. All in all I would thoroughly recommend The Rutland to any business or leisure traveller to Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoy your time with us, and that you keep coming back for more!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here last weekend and the whole experience of The Rutland Hotel really made my break. From entering the hotel with the extremely excellent staff, to the wonderful room, great size, comfy bed, nice touches such as fresh milk and muffins, to the REALLY quite brilliant steak restaurant. The pastry chef there is worth the trip alone.
Thank you very much Rutland Hotel. Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: I chose a bigger room and it was a good size and had a jacuzzi bath if you like that sort of thing.
1 Thank Zippydedoodah
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi folks,

I just wanted to thank you for writing your review of The Rutland Hotel!

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and will definitely make sure the staff all read your nice comments.

Regards the pastry chef - I completely agree - the desserts are fantastic!!!

I hope we see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at The Rutland for our 10th wedding anniversary. It was the end of a holiday in the Highlands.we wanted to finish in Edinburgh. I did a lot of research beforehand and settled for this one as it looked great. It did NOT disappoint. I had booked a castle view room and had asked for room 5 if poss. We had room 5, we also had a lovely rose and a card congratulating us with a bottle of Preosecco and some little cakes. I was over the moon, this was just a perfect way of ending our anniversary. It was a surprise for my husband so he was very impressed! It's little things like this that make such a difference. The room was great. Decor as I had hoped for. Wonderful large bed, brilliant view of the castle, jacuzzi bath. Location was great for both the old and new town and also the train station. Everyone at reception was lovely. I couldn't ask for anymore. We loved Edinburgh and would like to come back and we will definitely stay at The Rutland. Thank you so much for making our Anniversary so wonderful

Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hi folks!

I just wanted to write a small note to thank you for your very kind review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we could help make it special for you both.

I hope you will make it back to Edinburgh sometime soon, and if you do, please let us be your first port of call!