“Good staff and well priced”

Royal Mile Backpackers
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed here for a few nights last year and it was a pretty good hostel. The young staff were all pretty friendly and helpful with tour bookings etc. It is located in a good position on the Royal Mile. The showers didnt work that well but apart from that it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We picked this hostel to stay in during a few days at the fringe festival. It was a reasonable price £90 for two nights during the festival when hotels cost hundreds just for one night.
I was really surprised at how good it was, the staff were all very friendly and greeted you with a smile each time you came back.
Most hostels I've stayed in have been a bit boring and plain but this one is themed! We stayed in Gotham City and had a really good view of the Mile. We even got a locker at no extra cost which I was very impressed with.
The beds were comfortable enough, we didn't try the breakfast preferring to seek out a proper Scottish breakfast but I have to say I enjoyed my stay and for what you pay I couldn't grumble.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lottystar
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We didn't get to stay in the hostel although we had booked and paid a £15 deposit. Apparently the hostel does not accept under 18s. We were not informed of this when booking and this is not stated on their website, eventhough the staff insisted it was! When we arrived after a very long car journey, the staff took one look at the 2 14 year olds with us and turned us away to the Castle Rock hostel without any explanation. We were then turned away from the Castle Rock as we had children with us (the staff there asked for their driving licence numbers of National Insurance numbers even after I'd told them they were 14!!!). Eventually, they turned us away and as there was no other accommodation available in Edinburgh (due to Edin festival), we had to travel back home, spending £120 total in petrol, plus car parking fee, plus inconvenience and disappointment. I rung the Royal Mile and was promised a phonecall back on 2 occasions, I didn't get one and when I eventually spoke to somebody she was extremely unhelpful and just kept repeating "no under 18s" in their hostels. I told her the amount of petrol I had to pay out and she refused to even give us our £15 deposit back!! This is horrendous. I have tried ringing the hostel since arriving home to speak to the manager and am being fobbed off that the manager isn't available. They have no complaints procedure and do not know who owns the hostels! I obviously did not get to stay in either hostel but can say that the place looked very unclean, there was a very strong smell of chip fat and the people coming in and out were mostly carrying bags full of alcohol. Great if you want a party but certainly not for anyone who wants to get any sleep during their stay. I will certainly be taking this matter further.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sandy h
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is an excellent hostel,ideally located with everything on your doorstep! What it lacks in space in the kitchen area is made good in its sister hostel across the road, there is a huge kitchen and TV and pool room!! I've already booked my next stay!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I stayed here for one night on a weekend in an 8-bed women's dorm room. The hostel itself is clean and cheerful and the staff is very friendly. There were adults of all ages staying there but it's not a place to stay with young children. The price was a great bargain for being right on the main tourist street in Edinburgh and a short walk from the train station. However, I had the top bunk by the window in a room facing the street. The curtain was torn so the light from a streetlight out front shone in my eyes all night. Worse yet, the street noise was incredibly loud and kept everyone in the room up all night. I would stay here again only if my room didn't face the street.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo