“Clean, comfy and ideally located” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel
UK
“Clean, comfy and ideally located”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I spent two nights here over the weekend and found it clean, comfy and ideally situated within walking distance of everywhere I wanted to go.

The staff were really helpful and sorted me out with bus timetables and city maps.

I didn't have breakfast there as, when I went down at 9.30, the breakfast room was deserted and I didn't feel like sitting on my own. I headed left down Leith Walk instead and have a lovely breakfast at the Word of Mouth cafe.

The only thing that prevented me giving it five stars was that it seemed to lack the buzzing vibe I've found at other hostels but maybe I just wasn't around at the right times.

Room Tip: I was in 202 which had a window on the side street rather than Leith Walk and was told these were th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

The SYHA hostel I stayed at was NOT the one near the castle, but the year round hostel on Haddington Place. The year prior I had stayed one night in a dodgy B&B that never bothered with the breakfast, so Edinburgh was not high on my list of "places to return to". But I flew into Edinburgh, arriving exhausted in early morning, and although they were closed officially, the SYHA hostel staff was incredibly accommodating and professional and nice. I only stayed one night, but the room and showers were clean and bright and the kitchen was large and quite well-equipped. Thanks SYHA for another great hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fiddlerfan
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I was absolutely amazed by the quality of this hostel. After staying at some questionable establishments on my trip, I couldn't believe how comfortable, clean and well organised this hostel was. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were fantastic. The bathrooms were very, very clean. The breakfast was also very good, and the staff in the bistro and bar were very attentive. I really can't say a bad thing about this place. I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Edinburgh - I was actually sad to leave knowing that my next hostel probably wouldn't shape up.

The location is a bit further out than some of the hostels around Waverley station, but the extra walking (10mins or so) was definitely worth it. The area around the hostel is quite good to.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Sheldor_the_Great
Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

This hostel was a good one in terms of location. A stone's throw from the Castle of Edinburgh and the Mile, the shopping area as well as the restaurants, this was invaluable. Also, we never tried the hostel's breakfast, instead we went across the stress for an english breakfast, which was ok.
Wifi was great for our laptops and ipad, the room was spacious (for 4 people), but the bathroom small (for 4 people!). The elevator was a pain and the armchairs and carpet inside the room were filthy. Also the price of the hostel turned out to be the equivalent of a cheap inn in the countryside, so not very happy with the value either.
Again, what was worth the stay was the location!

Room Tip: This hostel is in front of a quiet square, hence all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We are in our late 20s and have been travelling Europe on a number of hotel tours for a number of weeks. We stayed at Edinburgh Central for 3 nights, in what ended up being a premium room (we just thought it was a 2 bed room) and were amazed at the quality. The previous place we had stayed was a well known hotel chain, which we had been bitterly disappointed in. We had medium expectations for the hostel.

The staff are friendly and very helpful in booking day trips and giving ideas on how to spend our time. The self-catering kitchen is very well set up and there are plenty of computers available for use. The room was clean, which is always an important factor! I would certainly suggest this hostel to friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple