“Average Carvery”

Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Liberton. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Edinburgh’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 21 December 2017

OK, but nothing special. Would probably not use again, have had better carveries at other Toby Innssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I was treated to lunch by my brother, "GET READY, YOU'RE GOING FOR LUNCH"

He said we where going to Toby Cavery for lunch, which I thought was good, as heard about the place that many times, plus glanced accross at the road, after paying our respects accross the road from the Liberton one.

Well today I was in it, and from moment of going in and getting greeted by Bridget, then her checking the table reservations, my brother was told we have a table free till 16:00 which was fine, and we were escorted to the table, and was then asked if we knew what we wanted, and my brother said, "FINE"
Was then told the waitresss Angela would be here shortly, which true to word, she was, and asked if we'd like a drink O.J. LARGE, and 2 POPS, then after us all (£ OF US) deciding what we'd like, we then went to the HOT FOOD COUNTER, and picked TWO MEAT, VEG (IF YOU CHOOSE BEEF A YORKSHIRE PUDDING TOO), then to the Extra's counter where you had a choice of gravies, preserve etc.

we went back to the table and we all enjoyed it, as we ate everything we had picked,
The meat was nice and tender, veg was cooked well, as hot, but still with the bit to it, "AL DENTE" and those with POP to drink, could go back and top up the glass as much as they like/d.

Really it was my first time, which as a registered Autistic person that is sensative to certain atmospheres/conditions, it was very nice, and yes we would be back again, as really, like our mother said, we pay our respects accross the road regularly, and have looked accross the road and wondered just what it was like, but we can now say we have been and can now make it possibly regular stop too.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovley comments, we are glad you had a great visit with us, I will pass on your comments to Angela and Bridget. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 24 November 2017

I have visited this place for several years and normally the service and food is quite good, however it is a bit "dated" and it seems to be a very hit and miss affair lately.
The staff tend to range from the very helpful, to those that won't even acknowledge you.
As a wheelchair user, the service was very helpful..... to some extent. I was given excellent help by a couple of the staff, yet the "chef" couldn't even acknowledge me, and even my partner only got grunts out of him, he didn't want to know me until I asked the duty manager to help me get some food. My partner couldn't handle 2 plates of food at a time, so a better service here would go a long way. Also, one of the newer members of staff, apart from not even saying a word to me, would acknowledge my partner, yet just stare at me in passing every single time. How rude is that? Discrimination at it's finest I felt.
Now down to the food... It can range from excellent to mediocre. The quality is normally very good, but depending on how long it's been out can result in it being nice and warm to dry and quite cold. There was no choice in size of Yorkshire pudding either, it was small, or have nothing.
Access into the building is a via 2 sets of doors and someone alone in a wheelchair may struggle to get in, thankfully the patrons that use this place seem to be very helpful and would happily help you out. I wish the staff could be that helpful and polite, and not leave me or my partner struggling!!!
There is one very big issue though, and for certain disabled people, it's a BIGGIE.
For starters to actually use the disabled facilities means battling with 2 doors, not just one.
Once you have battled through the doors without any staff assisting, then you will find that you CANNOT get a wheelchair into the disabled toilets and be able to close the door. If you are in an electric wheelchair, you will NOT be able to even get in there in the first place. The room is too crowded and far too small to be anything close to being disabled friendly.
The only way you can use the disabled facilities are if you are able to get out of your wheelchair, and then leave it outside the room which I simply cannot do.
So in summary, it is quite hit and miss. It has gone downhill recently in service and quality.
Improvements in quality, access, and attitudes wouldn't go amiss. There have been times I couldn't fault it, yesterdays visit, I couldn't wait to leave.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry that you have not been fully satisfied with your recent visits and have took your comments on board so we can improve these issues.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 23 November 2017

Visited as a party of 12. We had reserved a table and it was ready when we arrived. The selection of breakfast items was vast. I have never before had a Yorkshire pudding served for breakfast but it had bacon in it so that made it ok. There was gravy too and people did take it with their breakfast! You could go back as often as you wished. Drinks were not included but for under £5 this is excellent value. Staff were kept really busy but they were all very friendly and the lady at the cash desk was lovely. So if anyone from Toby is reading, this was on Sunday 19th November.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Thank you very much for this fantastic review ! We are glad you had such a good time! We hope to see you again Liz!

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Great staff , great food . In fact enjoyed it so much we’ve booked to come on Christmas Day !! Keep up the good work guys . The manageress and her staff are lovely always willing to help, smiling and going the extra mile .

1  Thank Neil M