“Can be hit and miss”

Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Liberton. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Edinburgh’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 24 November 2017

I have visited this place for several years and normally the service and food is quite good, however it is a bit "dated" and it seems to be a very hit and miss affair lately.
The staff tend to range from the very helpful, to those that won't even acknowledge you.
As a wheelchair user, the service was very helpful..... to some extent. I was given excellent help by a couple of the staff, yet the "chef" couldn't even acknowledge me, and even my partner only got grunts out of him, he didn't want to know me until I asked the duty manager to help me get some food. My partner couldn't handle 2 plates of food at a time, so a better service here would go a long way. Also, one of the newer members of staff, apart from not even saying a word to me, would acknowledge my partner, yet just stare at me in passing every single time. How rude is that? Discrimination at it's finest I felt.
Now down to the food... It can range from excellent to mediocre. The quality is normally very good, but depending on how long it's been out can result in it being nice and warm to dry and quite cold. There was no choice in size of Yorkshire pudding either, it was small, or have nothing.
Access into the building is a via 2 sets of doors and someone alone in a wheelchair may struggle to get in, thankfully the patrons that use this place seem to be very helpful and would happily help you out. I wish the staff could be that helpful and polite, and not leave me or my partner struggling!!!
There is one very big issue though, and for certain disabled people, it's a BIGGIE.
For starters to actually use the disabled facilities means battling with 2 doors, not just one.
Once you have battled through the doors without any staff assisting, then you will find that you CANNOT get a wheelchair into the disabled toilets and be able to close the door. If you are in an electric wheelchair, you will NOT be able to even get in there in the first place. The room is too crowded and far too small to be anything close to being disabled friendly.
The only way you can use the disabled facilities are if you are able to get out of your wheelchair, and then leave it outside the room which I simply cannot do.
So in summary, it is quite hit and miss. It has gone downhill recently in service and quality.
Improvements in quality, access, and attitudes wouldn't go amiss. There have been times I couldn't fault it, yesterdays visit, I couldn't wait to leave.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry that you have not been fully satisfied with your recent visits and have took your comments on board so we can improve these issues.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 23 November 2017

Visited as a party of 12. We had reserved a table and it was ready when we arrived. The selection of breakfast items was vast. I have never before had a Yorkshire pudding served for breakfast but it had bacon in it so that made it ok. There was gravy too and people did take it with their breakfast! You could go back as often as you wished. Drinks were not included but for under £5 this is excellent value. Staff were kept really busy but they were all very friendly and the lady at the cash desk was lovely. So if anyone from Toby is reading, this was on Sunday 19th November.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Thank you very much for this fantastic review ! We are glad you had such a good time! We hope to see you again Liz!

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Great staff , great food . In fact enjoyed it so much we’ve booked to come on Christmas Day !! Keep up the good work guys . The manageress and her staff are lovely always willing to help, smiling and going the extra mile .

1  Thank Neil M
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Large seating area, with several sections accommodating singles, couples and groups alike, who can all have their own space.
4 different selections of meat on offer, Beef, Gammon, Pork & Turkey, Yorkshire Puddings and lots of veg on offer, various gravies and sauces as well.
For a small modest extra charge you can go 'king-size' which was well worth it.

All in all a large lunch in a fairly nice and pleasant setting.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

OMG was amazing. The beef and pork cooked perfected! Great atmosphere, staff were helpful and friendly.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Liberton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Thank you Jessica for this 5 star review we look forward to seeing you again!