“Location Excellent but breakfast was AWFUL!!”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #91 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed in the holiday inn over the Fri and Sat of the Jubilee weekend as we were visiting Edinburgh for a friends wedding. We arrived quite late and was greeted by a very friendly lady on the front desk, I paid up front for the room for the 2 nights and got our key she then asked us if we wanted to include breakfast as it was £9.95 now but if we were to buy it in the morning it would be £13.99!!!! so we decided it would be easier to just have the breakfast here as we needed to get ready for the wedding quite early so my fiance bought the breakfast for us both at £9.95 each. We got up to our room it was very clean and tidy, bit puzzled we had 2 double beds but hey ho. The beds were very comfy and the bathroom was very clean with an excellent shower and the view of Edinburgh castle was amazing . We had a very good nights sleep although it was a little cold during the night but thats not Holiday Inns fault.

The next morning we got up and dressed for breakfast, went downstairs and was shown to our seats by a very friendly waitress she brought us over tea and coffee and told us to help ourselves, we had the full english (I use the word full loosely) I piled my plate with beans, mushrooms, a hash brown, a couple of rashers of bacon and a sausage! There was NO EGG I was a little surprised by this but not to bothered would have like an egg but no worries, we sat down and I started to tuck in but everything apart from the hash brown was FREEZING cold, not luke warm or a little cold but freezing! I ate it as we didn't know what time the meal was going to be at the wedding and we didn't have time to go out now and get something else, also the fact we had paid nearly £10 each for this! I was very dissapointed with this as it's not cheap and when we went over to boots for some essentials us ladies need when attending a wedding we noticed sainsbury's across the road had a proper full scottish breakfast for £4.99 gutted!! But we live and learn.... I think it would be better if they took your order and made it fresh or at least have the food behind the scenes being kept warm for when you want it. Just a suggestion.

Another thing that happened too was when we come back from the wedding our room door was left unlocked, the handle was slightly down and I did think that looks like its open, I pushed the handle down further and hey presto it opened, housekeeping had been in and obvioulsy hadn't closed the door properly we checked everything was still there which it was and phoned down to the front desk to make them aware of what had happened, it wouldn't have been to bad but our room was right in front of the lift so anyone coming out could have noticed the same. It must have been unlocked for some time too as housekeeping was making their way down the hallway as we left for the wedding. But enough of the moaning. haha

Staff were very friendly and helpul, we needed an iron which they provided at no extra cost and there is a luggage store for when you check out and want to go into town or something before you leave to catch your plane or train. Overall it was comfortable and served it's purpose we would go back but they do need to address the breakfast and housekeeping need to double check they have locked the rooms before moving on!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th and 6th floor facing towards the town have amazing views of the Castle!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I regularly stay here on business when working in and around Edinburgh. I have stayed in all of the Holiday Inn /Express hotels in the City and this is by the best. The staff are friendly and sincere and the hotel itself is great. As a platinum Priority Club I almost always get a room upgrade - the corner suites are fantastic. Well done to management and staff.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2012

It's a great hotel despite the location a bit outskirts, it's 15 min ride by bus from George st , or around 6 pound taxi ride from train station, the room that I got had amazing city ( castle vieviews he bed was so nice I have a good sleep, breakfast just nice and there's a sans bury supermarket just across the street. For the price I would stay at this hotel compare to small hotel in the old town area.

Room Tip: Ask for city view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Henry W
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Lovely hotel, very nice clean room and a great view of the city and Edinburgh Castle, bus stop close by with a very easy route to all main attractions.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nothingbutthetruth71
Claire F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Claire

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here 2-3 weeks ago while visiting Edinburgh for company training, and was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere in the hotel. I usually stay in Holiday Inn's xpress brand mostly across the south of England and in Holland/Germany, and have find them to be slightly robotic and 'over' professional with you, but having checked in with a gentleman who seemed to be genuinely interested in helping me, and then a drink in the bar before heading to my room, which was hot but bright & spacious, I changed my perception a little of holiday inns. Couldn't really fault the room, and TV was huge if a little loud with music on arrival but a minor complaint as everything else seemed to work fine. Had dinner in the modern if a little plain restaurant but candles on the tables brightened it up a bit. Emma was waitress, who was busy but still found time to be courteous and pleasant, Ben who prepared my bill and seemed to appear everywhere, delivering an iron board to my room later on, along with Emma and the polite bartender who delivered my drinks made a quick hotel dining experience memorable for the first time in at least a few years. Food was good portioned simple and fresh. Had a good sleep and having to get up early I waited a while on checking out but not much anyone could do about it as there were only 2 terminals at the desk and people were requesting directions and querying bills. Only one night stayed but plan on staying again when I visit your part of the world!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Dear Meyer-Reiser,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor.

At this hotel we are all very customer focused and do treat people as people, we are not as you say robotic like some other chains, we let our teams be themselves. I will pass your comments on to Emma and Ben who I'm sure will be happy they helped to make your dining experience memorable.

We will look forward to you returning in the future.

Kind regards