“Ideal hotel for a break in Edinburgh”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #90 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Ideal hotel for a break in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely weekend in Edinburgh.
Our hotel of choice was the Holiday Inn on Queensferry Road which is their City West location.
The location is a little out of town but not too much of a problem as the bus stop is outside the hotel,or a decent walk after dinner,taxi to Waverley station was £9.00
The staff we found could not do enough for us and this was much appreciated,thank you all ,special praise goes to the girls on reception.
We had breakfast each morning and dinner on the first night which was excellent.
You only know how good a service is,is when something is not quite right and the response you get,we had a small issue and it was dealt with efficiently and effectively.
We hope to return again and thank you.

• Stayed April 2012
Claire F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for you recent review on TripAdvisor Royalanhirst,

I'll let my team know you were happy with the service you received from them, there's 6 girls working here so I don't know which of them you met but they all provide excellent customer service to our guests so I'll tell them all about your comments.

Please do return again in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Claire
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
North Wales, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here one night prior to flying home. The room was clean and the accomodations were good. The staff was very helpful as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Matt H,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we are glad you enjoyed you stay.

Please come again next time you are in Edinburgh!

Kind regards

Claire
Harrogate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at this Holiday Inn with our two small children, for 3 nights in April. We chose this hotel as the price was good and parking was free, but it was still close enough to the city centre. It was an easy bus ride into the city. An array of shops are just across the street which was very handy. Staff were very helpful, we needed housekeeping to come to our room twice and both times they arrived within minutes. Room was really clean. We had a family room, with a large bed for us, in the bedroom area which allowed us to stay up while the kids slept on the pull-out couch in the living area. The only negative was that I didn't find the bed or pillows comfortable for sleeping, but next time I'll just bring my own pillow. Kids loved the breakfast buffet. We purchased the room and breakfast rate when we booked and it was very good value. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
East Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

This hotel provided the basics - comfortable, clean and quiet room. I stayed over the Easter weekend, and the hotel was quite full. My husband usually gets an upgrade because he is a platinum member, however when we checked in we were told that all the junior suites were full. We were given a nice room, far away from the lifts, with a fantastic view.
The hotel seemed to have trouble coping with the volume of guests. The toilet roll in our room was not replaced and when I asked the chambermaid for a refill she said that they had run out! She did offer me a box of tissues, so was trying to be helpful.
One morning at breakfast we were allocated a table (as is the usual practice) when we came back with our food somebody else was sitting there - she had managed to sneak in past the staff because of the crowds. My slow pace of eating meant that all the pastries had been wolfed down.
That said, our room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
This hotel is about a 30 minute walk from the city centre, but it is on a bus route and the buses come fairly often.
One gripe about the room: there was a sofa, but no reading light. This is often a fault of hotel rooms - in my opinion. Okay for those who want to watch TV, but I like to unwind with a book at the end of the day, and would prefer not to sit in bed to read.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the lifts, and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank looklovely
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear looklovely,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. I hope you enjoyed your Easter weekend and enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I’m very disappointed to hear about the hotel staff running our of toilet paper and would not expect this kind of thing to happen. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27748559
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

People visiting Edinburgh must visit the resturant!

I am a platinum member of Holiday Inn (basically I live in various Holiday Inn across the country 4/7 days of the week, enough of me) but this resturant specially the Italian Bread, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinigar and Grilled Bruschetta, Portuguese Tart were outstanding.

They were outstanding in quality, quantity, taste and value for the money. This compired with other Holiday Inn in Edinburgh, Norwich, Reading. And food and service here is much better then Hiltion as well.

Futher more the staff here gets simply 5/5 or 10/10 Udit and Emma are the people you want to speak to and get to service you! They made my family meal outstanding and they were so great that it was too good to be true.

And I had to visit them again, next day (my wife's Birthday). She chose to celebrate here as oppose the her favorate one in the city. And as expected outstanding food and service again! (i think they have good team here!)

Atmosphere in the resturant is great for family.

Here is to the next on!