All reviewsmini suitequeensferry roadretail parktwo double bedsupgraded to a suitefifth floorfree wifigood sizebus servicebus stopan upgradereception stafftwo night stayhotel restaurantstayed here for one nightbreakfast was excellentbooked this hotel
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This hotel provided the basics - comfortable, clean and quiet room. I stayed over the Easter weekend, and the hotel was quite full. My husband usually gets an upgrade because he is a platinum member, however when we checked in we were told that all the junior suites were full. We were given a nice room, far away from the lifts, with a fantastic view.
The hotel seemed to have trouble coping with the volume of guests. The toilet roll in our room was not replaced and when I asked the chambermaid for a refill she said that they had run out! She did offer me a box of tissues, so was trying to be helpful.
One morning at breakfast we were allocated a table (as is the usual practice) when we came back with our food somebody else was sitting there - she had managed to sneak in past the staff because of the crowds. My slow pace of eating meant that all the pastries had been wolfed down.
That said, our room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
This hotel is about a 30 minute walk from the city centre, but it is on a bus route and the buses come fairly often.
One gripe about the room: there was a sofa, but no reading light. This is often a fault of hotel rooms - in my opinion. Okay for those who want to watch TV, but I like to unwind with a book at the end of the day, and would prefer not to sit in bed to read.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the lifts, and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank looklovely
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Dear looklovely,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. I hope you enjoyed your Easter weekend and enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I’m very disappointed to hear about the hotel staff running our of toilet paper and would not expect this kind of thing to happen. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27748559

Reviewed 11 April 2012

People visiting Edinburgh must visit the resturant!

I am a platinum member of Holiday Inn (basically I live in various Holiday Inn across the country 4/7 days of the week, enough of me) but this resturant specially the Italian Bread, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinigar and Grilled Bruschetta, Portuguese Tart were outstanding.

They were outstanding in quality, quantity, taste and value for the money. This compired with other Holiday Inn in Edinburgh, Norwich, Reading. And food and service here is much better then Hiltion as well.

Futher more the staff here gets simply 5/5 or 10/10 Udit and Emma are the people you want to speak to and get to service you! They made my family meal outstanding and they were so great that it was too good to be true.

And I had to visit them again, next day (my wife's Birthday). She chose to celebrate here as oppose the her favorate one in the city. And as expected outstanding food and service again! (i think they have good team here!)

Atmosphere in the resturant is great for family.

Here is to the next on!

Cheers,
abhi

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank AbhishekChopra
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here with my partner in March - staff are incredibly helpful and friendly and the meals at the hotel were excellent (dined in both nights!)
Rooms clean and have everything you need - location is a tad out of the centre but was a 20/30 minute walk along the main road into the action of Princes street (and not, as told by a police officer on arrival at the train station, 'too far to walk')which suited us fine after eating a fairly substantial buffet breakfast!
Can't comment on the rates as we did a package break but understand it's a reasonable option if you want something decent in Edinburgh - would we go back? Yep!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COCOWestYorkshire
Reviewed 19 March 2012

After my stay in February I once again booked this hotel for me and my wife for an overnight stay, this time for dinner bed and breakfast. Booked b&b and paid for dinner at the hotel. Great rate booked on their own website. Given room 121. Bit noisy due to being at lift. Last time had 509 which was a Much better room. Standards again very good. As this was for pleasure I had more time to relax in hotel.

Dinner in hotel excellent value. Had £20 inclusive menu. Steak and chips included which seemed to be very heavily promoted outside the restaurant. Really tasty. Breakfast again really good. Merina and Megan really pleasant and chatty as was Emma the night before. As my wife is a chef, it's these things that helps me our stay.

My only criticism would be the gents toilets in the bar. The wall tiles look as if a blind man has done the grout. A small complaint I know!!!

Look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Fifer1973
Claire F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Fifer1973,

Thank you for your review, I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us again!

I will report you comments about the gents toilets to our maintenance manager, unfortunately I'm female so I'm never in there to spot these things to get them fixed.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards

Claire

Reviewed 19 March 2012

My stay in Holiday Inn City West, Edinburgh was a brilliant experience (if you haven't gathered that by the title already). I booked through expedia so got an economical rate for the room and was never disappointed. The location is perfect for anybody looking to explore in/out of Edinburgh. Loads of parking space where I never had to struggle for spaces and a breathtaking view of the city and Edinburgh castle.
The rooms were tidy and a spacious bathroom to match. The front-office staff were warm and cordial...not to mention helpful and gave us some tips for exploring the city as well. Breakfast was included and was a bargain...even though both of us were vegetarians. We had plenty of vegetarian options like hashbrowns, continental breakfast and fruit-salads. Overall a great experience and i'm probably a fan of the Holiday Inn group now.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the higher floors (i.e. 4th floor and above) and ask for a view of the Castle. The oversized window and the elevated location of the hotel gives you breathtaking views of Edinburgh
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank s11has

Dear reviewer,

I was very pleased to read your review this morning, the staff at the hotel try hard to make your experience with us as comfortable as possible.

We are always looking for ways to help our guests be themselves and any feedback we get is greatly appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards