“Good value”

Ranked #86 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good value”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I got a great rate on this hotel on the web, do check out the prices online and try to book 21 days ahead of time to get the best price. Staff were always warm, helpful, and well-mannered: they are the best feature of this hotel. The room was comfortable, with choices of pillows being the most luxurious element. I didn't try the restaurant at all, so can't comment on that. The location is not bad, but you're not dead central, so expect a solid 30 minute walk into the west end or 15 minute bus ride. The hotel is also a 2 minute walk from a large retail park, so if you want to get some snacks for your room or do a bit of clothes shopping you can just pop across the road. Bit disappointed with lack of free Wi-Fi (though I imagine that is a Holiday Inn-wide policy). Would I stay here again? If I got the same price as before, sure!

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid the top floor, as I found that when the wind picked up, it howled around the building.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Claire F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear reviewer,

I was happy to read your comments on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to do this.Unfortunately the wifi we have is supplied by an outside company and they charge £5 for it's usage, we would love to offer it free of charge for our guests but we are unable to at the moment.

I'm very glad you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful, we are always trying to do what we can to make our guests stay special.

Claire
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
hertfordshire
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Managed to get a very good deal for the hotel which included breakfast and dinner on the first evening, both were fine. Nice bar lounge area to sit in in the evening for a drink. Rooms spacious and clean. The only thing is this hotel is approx 2 miles outside the city centre, it's approx £8.00 in a cab but there is a bus outside that goes direct to the centre. Personally, I prefer to be directly in the middle of the city when I go on city breaks but if you are not fussed about the distance then hotel is recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Lennie12,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for leaving a review.

The hotel is slightly out of the city centre but most of our guests like that they can go into the centre in 10 minutes on a bus and return to where it's quieter to get a good nights sleep. (The town hotels can be noisy at times.)

Please note : Priority Club members get 10% off food and beverage, if you are not a member already you can join for FREE and get 10% off your drinks at the bar next time you come!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed two nights for business. Very Disappointed No Free WiFi for a international hotel.
Two double beds, small washroom, digital flat tv, breakfast serve from 7.30am. Opposite a retail park-a large supermarket, fast-food, and Marks and Spencer.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank YeeSan
Dear YeeSan,

Unfortunately the WIFI we have is run by an outside company and it is them that charge £5 for access, we do hope to have our own in the future as we would love to be able to provide this as part of the package.

The breakfast is available from 7.30am at the weekend and 6.30am on weekdays to cater for people who are early risers.

Hope to see you again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I was visiting Edinburgh for a business trip. It was within walking distance of where I was working and near enough to the centre if I'd had time to go in. The hotel is clean, the rooms are a good size with good facilities. What makes this hotel what it is is the customer service from all staff there. The lady on reception when I visited was very welcoming and helpful (unfortunately I didn't get her name) and Emma in the restaurant who served me for my 2 night stay was very friendly, proffesional and efficient. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank amazontmk78
Dear reviewer,

I was very happy to read your review and I am very greatful that you took the time to leave it.

I will pass your comments on to Emma in the restaurant, my team on the reception has six women so I'm not able to give you the name of the receptionist that you met but they are all very proud to be here and always try to provide excellent customer service for everyone.

We hope you will return again soon!

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Great rooms, clean and tidy. Big with a great view trought the west area of Edinburgh. The staff in the reception were kind and polity. Allways ready to help in anything we need. Little bit far from city center, but you got plenty buses that stop at the entrance of the hotel, and takes you around 10minutes. I recomend it, and i'll be back there pretty soon.

Room Tip: No smoking rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugo T
Claire F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Hugo T,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel, i'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!