All reviews tuck box garden room beautiful hotel head concierge rose st deluxe room poached eggs little touches restaurants and shops nice breakfast fresh milk spa facilities central location one night stay comfy bed princes street cooked breakfast
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lovely hotel, staff and amenities. Stayed in there during October and really enjoyed it. The room, although standard one was lovely and clean. Tasty breakfast. I would definitely come back. Highly recommend.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
G_Mylles, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5* review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square following your stay with us in October.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Principal is a centrally located hotel in a gorgeous building on Charlotte Square. It's about a mile to Waverly train station.
My room was quite small which was OK for my submariner sentiments but would not have made everyone happy. It was "single" as in "single bed" and room for one person. Still, perfectly adequate. There are two restaurants on property and many within a short walk.

Hi David,

Thank you for your 5* review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of Principal/DeVere hotels and this was my first stay at the Charlotte Square hotel. The rooms were as advertised - beautifully decorated with thoughtful pieces reminding you you're in Scotland. The little touches of luxury are evident throughout - proper mugs, a proper bottle of milk, quality dressing gowns and Elemis toiletries. On the first day we were shattered from the journey and were having a quick lay down when there was a knock at the door for room service. We hadn't ordered any - it was a platter of fruits and a postcard from Monika the guest relations manager welcoming us to Edinburgh and congratulating my best friend of getting his dream job (I had mentioned it when I booked and they asked the purpose of the visit). She had attached a little Principal notebook wrapped in branded ribbon that he could use "to be organised in his dream job". What a wonderfully thoughtful touch. We used the spa which was fantastic and had massages from two fantastic, personable therapists before enjoying the pool and spa facilities. The breakfast on the second day was a little below par; we discussed this with Gavin the duty manager who made it clear he was grateful for the feedback and took it upon himself to go and talk to the head chef immediately. The measure of a good hotel is not that everything is perfect - it's the attitude of the staff hen things don't go to plan. Unfortunately, I missed Gavin before we checked out so I don't know the outcome but I have faith that it was managed swiftly and professionally. Can't wait to stay again as I travel to Edinburgh for business several times a year.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi Rosegnap,

Thank you for your 5* review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square.

What a great review - thank you very much!

I am delighted that Monika and Gavin were able to make your stay special with the little touches and going the extra mile for you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We loved our stay, we had a very warm welcome and felt like they wanted us there! I don't usually bother leaving reviews however i think The Principle deserved one! The only niggle i had was that we waited 45 mins for our breakfast however they ppologised and it was lovely when in arrived. Aoife was amazing, she left macaroons and a hapy birthday message in our room for my partners birthday and ensured we was comfortable! We would definitely return! The spa was the icing on the cake too! Thank You!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Voyager11920925487

Hi Voyager

Thank you for your 5* review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square.

Thank you for your very positive review of the hotel - I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and i will pass on your kind words to Aoife, who is always pleased to hear she made a guests stay extra special.

I will of course, pass your comments onto the Food and Beverage Manager, regarding the wait you had for breakfast and address how we can ensure we reduce this waiting time in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed with my Mum for her 80th birthday. The hotel is lovely, room clean and well furnished.
The breakfast was great with tons of choice.
What made is really great was the staff, everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, efficient - the blonde lady in the bar particularly so. Also a great and beautiful location. I would definitely recommend and hope to go back.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Hi Lizzieporter3,

Thank you for your 5* review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square.

First of all please let me congratulate your mum on her 80th birthday! I am very pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay for your special occasion and found our colleagues "friendly, helpful and efficient."