All reviews tuck box garden room beautiful hotel roxburghe hotel great touches rose st smashed avocado poached eggs wedding venue fire doors restaurants and shops rain shower little touches superior room excellent shower nice breakfast fresh milk
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed two nights on business and it was a really pleasant experience. The room has a few things that are a bit quirky, which adds to the atmosphere, but everything is in the right place and comfortable. The bed is comfortable, so it was all good.

What is it with the darkness in the rooms these days? It is all dark grey, dark wood and small windows. Luckily, there were plenty of lights, so I could see everything.

The tea facility and water were well thought through and made a big diffence - and I didn’t even take coffee...

Breakfast was done very well (I normally don’t eat breakfast at hotels), but I learned that Scotland is not the right place to eat crushed avocado and poached egg. The full cooked breakfast was much beeter.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Yoastie
Gillian M, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear Yoastie

Thanks for your 5* review of Principal Charlotte Square.

It's fantastic to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, finding the room to be comfortable, breakfast done well and the room layout well thought through.

Having just undergone a top to toe refurbishment I am delighted that we gave you a pleasant experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards

Gillian Mylles
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel previously when it was The Roxburghe and was certainly of the opinion that investment was needed. Wow, what a transformation!!!. The bedrooms are luxurious and the shower is one of the best features. I stayed on the first floor and even though the hotel was busy, enjoyed a quiet evening and a great sleep. The new garden room in place of the old courtyard is an inspired decision and gives the hotel a real heart. The choice of local beers and quirky service (I was delivered an egg timer and specific instructions for my green tea) make this a special place. The staff were attentive and difficult to fault. The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square is now top of my list for Edinburgh hotels. I will definitely be back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark O
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. It is great to hear that you had you found our bedrooms luxurious - we love them too. Its great to see that you have really got what we are going for here.

We cannot wait to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh. Until then we wish you safe travels.

Warm Regards,
Andi J Michie

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We've stayed in this hotel pre name change and refurbishment many times, and it was a great hotel. Our latest stay was not as enjoyable and it feels as though more than the name has been lost in the overhaul.
Our “welcome” was from Jack the ‘concierge’, apparently. He literally demanded our car keys as we had parked in the car park despite there being very few cars and no double parking (which is what would require him to ASK for our keys). He said he would take care of the luggage but then abandoned the process to move on to someone who he clearly felt was more important (and subsequently dumped them for a third guest). Fortunately, a very nice lady picked up the check in process and showed us to our room.
We booked a castle view room but, having been offered an upgrade for an additional sum each night and accepted, ended up in a room overlooking Charlotte Square. As we had spent 8 hours travelling, all we wanted to do was relax and refresh so we settled in to the room.
It turned out to be one of the noisiest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Whether from Charlotte Square, above us or the adjoining room, the noise was ridiculous and we had two nights of negligible sleep.
The room is style over substance. A bath with lukewarm water two days running, an incredibly cold bathroom with no way of heating it, only a net curtain on the bathroom window which is not the most private with lights on, a wardrobe and drawers which smelled so strongly of some kind of chemical that no clothes could go in there, and a chair at a desk that you have no hope of staying on if you sit in to it. Clearly the designer had a vision but I doubt they tested any of the pieces in the room.
The shower was excellent, and the location is great. But the staff need training and the hotel needs to remember that there is a guest that wants a relaxing and comfortable stay rather than a bit part in an interiors magazine.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Weetoot,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us. I am however disappointed to learn that we unfortunately did not meet your expectations on each aspect of your stay with us, and you have been left with a negative impression of your overall visit. We always hope to find the perfect rooms to suit each of our guests so they can enjoy a relaxing and comfortable experience so I am truly sorry the room was not to your liking. Please be assured that your feedback will be discussed to see where improvements can be made.

I hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your faith in us once again. Unfortunately I am unable to find your details from you review, however if you would kindly contact our Guest Relations team on 0131 240 5500 we would be grateful to discuss your experience further with you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Formerly known as the Roxburghe this hotel has always had a special place for me in Edinburgh thanks to its great location and fantastic staff. Unfortunately a change of ownership has seen a change of staff and whilst some of the desk staff are great, the concierge team has changed entirely and they are poor. Seeking to dominate the reception they lack the class and warmth of the old team and generally disappoint. Having phoned ahead and been given the go ahead to park in their car park we did so and made our way to reception. The concierge then demanded our car keys. I asked why, he stated 'it's our car park and we might want to move your car'. He didn't get the keys and the car stayed where it was as we refused to cooperate.
We were also offered an upgrade to a suite (small additional price) which was a dreadful mistake. Finding ourselves on the first floor at the front of the hotel meant noise was the primary feature and sleep the elusive luxury. So after many years of visiting, we won't be going back. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: Higher floors only
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr Baxter,

Thank you for taking the time to publish a review. I am sorry to read that you feel on this occasion that you didn't get the service that you are used too. Please be assured that all feedback is followed up on - I will make sure that our Head Concierge is made aware. I would not want to loose your business here at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. If you would like to contact to discuss further please contact me on (andi.michie@theprincipalhotel.com).

Until then I wish you very safe travels.
Warm regards,
Front of House Manager.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Our group had been booked in the Roxburgh hotel months ago. Upon our arrival we were skeptical because the hotel had been refurbished and a name change with new management. The young staff at check-in was very efficient. The room décor was lovely; A bit of Scottish plaid along with nice color combinations. The bathroom and its amenities were heavenly. Nice bright bathroom lighting. Always a plus. Robert, the concierge, was very helpful and had some great suggestions. The breakfast-mmmmm- if I could have smuggled their homemade granola into my luggage, I would have. The options were spectacular at the buffet and the full breakfast also was delicious. The wait staff was attentive. Our entire group of 8 was thoroughly pleased with our unexpected stay at the Principal.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to publish such a lovely review for Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. We are very fond of our recent refurbishment and it fantastic to hear that you and your group were too. I will be assured to pass on your regards to Robert. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed every part of the hotel, although I am sorry you couldn't take home some of our granola home.
We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Until then from all of us at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, very safe travels.
Warmest regards,