All reviews tuck box garden room beautiful hotel roxburghe hotel great touches rose st smashed avocado poached eggs wedding venue fire doors restaurants and shops rain shower little touches superior room excellent shower nice breakfast fresh milk
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Formerly known as the Roxburghe this hotel has always had a special place for me in Edinburgh thanks to its great location and fantastic staff. Unfortunately a change of ownership has seen a change of staff and whilst some of the desk staff are great, the concierge team has changed entirely and they are poor. Seeking to dominate the reception they lack the class and warmth of the old team and generally disappoint. Having phoned ahead and been given the go ahead to park in their car park we did so and made our way to reception. The concierge then demanded our car keys. I asked why, he stated 'it's our car park and we might want to move your car'. He didn't get the keys and the car stayed where it was as we refused to cooperate.
We were also offered an upgrade to a suite (small additional price) which was a dreadful mistake. Finding ourselves on the first floor at the front of the hotel meant noise was the primary feature and sleep the elusive luxury. So after many years of visiting, we won't be going back. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: Higher floors only
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Mr Baxter,

Thank you for taking the time to publish a review. I am sorry to read that you feel on this occasion that you didn't get the service that you are used too. Please be assured that all feedback is followed up on - I will make sure that our Head Concierge is made aware. I would not want to loose your business here at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. If you would like to contact to discuss further please contact me on (andi.michie@theprincipalhotel.com).

Until then I wish you very safe travels.
Front of House Manager.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Our group had been booked in the Roxburgh hotel months ago. Upon our arrival we were skeptical because the hotel had been refurbished and a name change with new management. The young staff at check-in was very efficient. The room décor was lovely; A bit of Scottish plaid along with nice color combinations. The bathroom and its amenities were heavenly. Nice bright bathroom lighting. Always a plus. Robert, the concierge, was very helpful and had some great suggestions. The breakfast-mmmmm- if I could have smuggled their homemade granola into my luggage, I would have. The options were spectacular at the buffet and the full breakfast also was delicious. The wait staff was attentive. Our entire group of 8 was thoroughly pleased with our unexpected stay at the Principal.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to publish such a lovely review for Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. We are very fond of our recent refurbishment and it fantastic to hear that you and your group were too. I will be assured to pass on your regards to Robert. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed every part of the hotel, although I am sorry you couldn't take home some of our granola home.
We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Until then from all of us at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, very safe travels.
Warmest regards,
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel in a nice location but too many negatives.
The staff are lovely and the food was good but if you want to sleep at night don't stay in this hotel. The first night we stayed someone decided to do some maintenance work at 3am. When we called reception they denied all knowledge of it but strangely enough it stopped immediately after our call.
On the second night the whole reception area was invaded by a wedding. The hotel does not have a function union as yet. When we returned to our room at 11pm the noise made it impossible to sleep - again the wedding. There are lots of similar and much more quiet hotels in Edinburgh .
Avoid!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.
Please be assured that we do not carry out any maintenance work through the night. Any work required is carried out between the hours of 8am and 6pm daily.
I am glad that you found positives within your stay and that you found our staff lovely and our food good.
I will be assured to pass on your comments to the relevant departments. I hope that you do decide to give Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square another try in the future - it would be our pleasure to have you return.
Until then I wish you safe travels.
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I had a really lovely stay at this hotel. I believe the hotel was just recently renovated and it is very nice. My room was small, but still spacious enough. The shower was probably one of the best shower experiences I have ever had a hotel. Many of my co-workers who I traveled with were also all commenting on how great the shower was! The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was perfect each morning. Only very minor issue was room service did not clean my room one day- but that seem to be a bit of a fluke for this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank jwharper
ManagerReply, Manager at The Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to publish such a lovely review. I am glad to hear that you are fond of our new renovations - we are very proud of it.
We totally agree that the showers are fantastic - one of our best additions to the room - great to hear that you and your colleagues enjoyed them. I am sorry to hear that on one of the days your room was not service! I am glad to confirm with you that it is indeed a 'fluke' for our hotel.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Until then, from us at Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square, we wish you very safe travels.
Front of House Manager.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

What can I say, it is a beautiful hotel - so amazingly well finished. My wife and I were traveling with a tour it was our 3rd trip to Scotland. We hope we will come back and if we do we will definitely be visiting this hotel again. They rooms, the decor, the ambiance, the staff are all just amazing - We want to make particular reference to Andy from the reception team (some kind of manager) - while we were waiting on our room he really made us feel welcome reminiscing about his travels to america and how a-like where we live in the USA is similar to Scotland.

In short I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Thanks you,
Mike and Lois.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeWNYCNYC

Dear Mike and Lois,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to publish such a lovely review of Principal Edinburgh Charlotte Square. We are very proud of our refurbishment and it is fantastic to read how much you enjoyed staying with us. It is great to hear that you made such a connection with the staff we have, we make a great effort to make sure that we recruit the best candidates.
I hope that you had a safe journey and enjoyed the rest of your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Until then safe travels.