“Well.....”

Ranked #119 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Well.....”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My other half booked this as a surprise for me so that we could enjoy a night out in Edinburgh for my birthday treat. I read the reviews and was a little worried...................but I was very pleasantly surprised!

I was a little concerned when we were directed to the accomodation across the road from the main reception and the tiny lift to our floor gave us a bit of a giggle - then the walk to our room along the VERY creaky corridors made me quite anxious! But the room was spacious, tastefully decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The room overlooked the main road on the second floor on the corner of the hotel (sorry I can't remember the room number!). The view from the room was very nice and there was no traffic noise at all which led to a peaceful nights sleep.

Breakfast was great and the waiter came to ask us if we would like to go and have anything else from the buffet before they stopped serving - which was thoughtful. The only thing I would suggest would be the additon of poached eggs to the selection but that's just my preference. The haggis for breakfast was a first for me - but was actually devine!

Staff were very helpful and friendly and I would stay here rather than the Caledonian down the road (see my review for that hotel) because it was a far better quality experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TiredMumScotland
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor Hotel.

I am delighted that you did not let the past negative reviews put you off from staying with us and that you had a really enjoyable visit with us.

The accommodation you were allocated is our Townhouse annexe, which has just undergone a full £1.3 million full refurbishment last year, and the rooms are stunning!

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience – we never tire of the positive comments from our guests in regards to this.

Thank you.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 6 April 2012

As a regular traveller to Edinburgh I sometimes stay at the 'Gros'. The hotel has undergone a lot of improvements over the last few years, it seems to get better every stay, but still has a little way and is almost in the very good category......If I could this would be 3 1/2 rating
The best bits are
1. The staff, always lovely, welcoming and friendly and cannot do enough for you
2. Breakfast - huge choice and good Hilton quality
3. Rooms - clean and comfy, refurbed bathrooms, decent flat screen TV
4. Reception / bar areas - getting better and improving all the time
5. Good location - 2 minutes from Haymarket station and a short walk to the West End.
The not so good are
1. Noise ! I have been in the single glazed rooms and when the buses on diversion thunder past, or the late night revellers 'sing' in the street, there is no peace at night or in the early hours, meaning its usually a disturbed nights sleep.
2. Cold - no central heating or air con and the electric heaters struggle a bit in the deep winter, esp. with drafty windows
3. Water pressure - some rooms just don't have it and the shower / bath can be hard work

Room Tip: Room at the back
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that overall you enjoy your stays with us. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff and their service, our Hilton breakfast, rooms and the public areas of the hotel, we constantly strive to better the product offer and it fills me with pride when our hard work is acknowledged.

We are in the process of replacing all single glazed windows in the hotel with double glazing, the second phase of this project commence in May. I am super delighted to say that we no longer have diverted traffic flowing along our street; due to the Tram works around the area, we did experience some inconvenience with this, but now the street is back to normal.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights on business (single traveller). The hotel is very nice and the staff were very helpful. There were no queues checking in or out. The room was very nice, fairly modern decor. As the building is quite old, the room have very high ceilings which are difficult to heat. I'm nots ure that it ever really warmed up - even with the additional free-standing heater. The room was cleaned evry day to a high standard.

There is no pool/ gym but you can use the facilities at a nearby Hilton closer to Princes Street. Princes Street itself and the castle and main attractions are only a short and fairly pleasant walk away.

The breakfast was good, the usual Hilton standard.

As the hotel is old there are lots of little flights of stairs between the various corridors. Clealry not ideal for someone that has difficulty walking.

The parking is not the best. The recommended parking lot is a short walk, its essentially an open area, which does not have a good surface and is quite poorly lit. I didn't feel particularly safe when going there after dark.

The hotel is very close to Waverley Railway Station, which is very handy.

This is a pretty good choice for Edinburgh - unless you like a warm room. It may not be an issue in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a low ceiling - if there is such a thing.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Being a Georgian building room sizes vary and some of our rooms do have high ceilings, we do as you state provide additional heating in rooms to ensure our guests comfort, had we been made aware of this we would have offered a move to a more suitable room.

As we are a city centre hotel we do not advertise parking as an amenity, the closest parking facility is operated by the NCP and is located on Morrison Street.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the choice of the Hilton breakfast; we never tire of the positive comments from guests regarding this.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

i thought this was going to be busy and noisy but it was fine, all went well. Really pleased as wsas worried about the traffic outside as the main drag has building works with tram work. but main problem was the lack of wifi in bedroom. shame!

Room Tip: quieter rooms on the back of hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that overall your enjoyed your stay with us. Due to the Tram works, traffic was being diverted along our usually quiet street, I am glad to say that, due to another set of diversions implemented that, as of March 24th, traffic is no longer being diverted down Grosvenor Street.

All our bedrooms are equipped with Wi-Fi access; this service is complimentary to our Diamond and Gold Hilton Honours members. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi access in the public areas of the hotel for all guests that require this.

London
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is an update to my previous stay & review. I was working in Edinburgh and stayed at the Hilton Grosvenor again. The main update was rooms: no creaky floorboards and well presented and fresh room! Seems they have made their updates and left nothing to detract from the room itself. Staff as friendly and efficient as always and WiFi throughout (I was in room 209). I feel the lifts could do with some attention though.

Main issue (not really their problem, and it affects many other hotels in Edinburgh at the moment) is that the tramworks have expanded towards Haymarket and now block the main road, making access to the hotel take slightly longer. There is pediestrian access available, taking less than 5 minutes to the hotel from the station. There is a positive point in that it is now easier to get taxis from Haymarket station (silver lining!) as the roadworks now allow for two taxi ranks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read your update to your previous review. We offer free Wi-Fi in the public areas of the hotel. Internet in our bedrooms is complimentary to our Diamond and Gold Hilton Honours members; to other guests this is a chargeable service.

Thank you for your understanding regarding the Tram works; this is out of our control as you state and does cause a little confusion for our guests...I am super delighted to say that as of March 24th – we no longer have traffic diverted along our street, and the street is back to it normal.