3,351 results
All reviewsdynamic earthroyal milescottish parliamentparliament buildingarthur's seatlovely hotelspa treatmentssauna and steam roomgood sizecooked breakfastper nightexecutive roomleisure facilitiesbooked this hotelenjoyable stayweekend breaklovely room
Reviewed 15 August 2018

Staff was good, location was awesome, but there were a few key things missing. We stayed on the 6th floor and the room was boiling hot the entire time. We tried the AC, we tried open windows, we even had a fan brought into the room, but it remained well above the temperature outside. Why even have AC? To add to our woes, after plugging the fan into the one multi use plug in the room we could not charge any of our phones or tablets. We had two different adaptors with us, but there was really only one plug in the room. The room was hot, and the bathroom was literally a sauna as there was zero airflow. Cold showers only for us.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob M
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and I am pleased you found the staff to be good and the location was ideal for you.

I am sorry you felt the room was not comfortable for you because of the heat. We have had a very hot summer for Scotland and we have tried our best to keep the property as cool as possible, because we do not have a full air conditioning system as such we have found it a struggle to keep the property as cool as we would have liked.

In relation to the available plugs in the room this is something we are looking to increase to have more access pointes for electronic devices.

I am sorry this affected your stay on this occasion but I hope it does not deter you from returning in the future and I hope we see you again soon

Reviewed 15 August 2018

Our double room was basic and we overlooked an office block. The staff were friendly at reception and at the restaurant but the general manager, Andrew?, was neither friendly nor welcoming. The location is great for visiting the houses of Parliament, walking up Arthur's seat, exploring Dynamic Earth and of course enjoying the festival entertainment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the 5th floor or above.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you found the location of the property to be ideal and you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I am sorry to read you did not feel this was the case for myself and I am sure you can understand I am very disappointed to hear this and I can only apologise you felt like this

I do hope you will give us another chance in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 15 August 2018

Located on the quieter end of the street, the MacDonald Holyrood is within walking distance of many attractions without the noise and crowds. It is well appointed with a hard-working concierge staff and the option of a full breakfast in the mornings (there are many other nearby breakfast offerings, so taking advantage of the buffet is convenient but not necessary if you'd like to explore). The city's hop-on/hop-off bus has a bus stop about a block away, so no need to walk if you'd rather ride. Taxis queue across the street as well, but we walked from the Tattoo to the hotel easily.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and to receive 5 stars is very much appreciated.

Our location lends itself to a quiet night to relax and unwind but yet still near enough to the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city. Great that you managed to make the Tattoo, the main attraction at the festival and I hope you enjoyed?

The team at the Holyrood all work hard to ensure all our guests experience a great stay with us and I am delighted you noticed this when you were here. Our breakfast has a great selection and caters for all our guests preferences.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Holyrood in the near future

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Good location. Room very comfortable. Breakfast is good but had to wait 30 mins for haddock, which was 2 tiny pieces and one poached egg - don't bother, stick with buffet. Asked if they could get us tickets for the Edinburgh Tattoo. Offered tickets for £45 or £55 each. Chose the £55 for a better seat. However face value was only £45. When queried as we thought we had the wrong tickets it became clear that they were adding £10 per ticket. We were asked to come back later, so they could investigate with the concierge offering the tickets. Told no negotiation on the price and when we eventually said we would pay this (although it felt like a rip off), they said that the tickets had been sold!

Room Tip: 6th floor was very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I am glad you found the location of the Holyrood to be good and the room very comfortable for you, they are a good size for a city centre hotel and the beds are very comfortable along with all the amenities required to help you relax.

I am sorry you encountered such a wait at breakfast for your haddock, I have already addressed this with the team as this is by no means our normal standard and again I can only apologise.

In relation to the Tattoo tickets you requested us to source for you, as I am sure your aware the Tattoo is the festivals main attraction and is sold out every year. I am sorry if there was a lack of communication here and you felt you were getting ripped off, the Concierge team managed to source the tickets for you at the price quoted from another company, because this is the price we paid for the tickets we were unable to negotiate on the price unfortunately.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holyrood in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best I've stayed in both in amenities and service.
Staff go above and beyond to assist and make you feel very welcomed.
The location is in a quieter area than Royal Mile so more peaceful.
Strongly recommend to anyone traveling to Edinburgh.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear Mary, Thank you so much for the fantastic review and to say we are one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in means a lot to us.

The team here at the Holyrood really do go above and beyond for all our guests on a daily basis and I am delighted you experienced this during your time with us and I am pleased they all made you feel welcome. This is something we pride ourselves on making our guests feel at home.

Our location is perfect for a quiet nights sleep. The city of Edinburgh at this time of the year is so busy and noisy but yet we are away from all this but still in walking distance for all the action.

I am delighted you had a great time and thank you so much for the recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.