3,405 results
All reviews dynamic earth royal mile scottish parliament parliament building arthur's seat lovely hotel spa treatments sauna and steam room good size cooked breakfast leisure facilities per night executive room booked this hotel weekend break enjoyable stay lovely room
Reviewed 26 December 2017

Recently had an stay for my partner's birthday and opted to go for the Overnight Spa Break for two, which included bed, breakfast, one 25-minute spa treatment and full use of the facilities (gym, pool, sauna, steam room).

We found all the staff to be very friendly and welcoming and were happy to answer any questions we had. The room was spacious and well-presented - very clean with a nice bathroom and a huge bed.

Opted for massages at the spa which were very relaxing, then used the pool/sauna/swim room which are all a decent size and quiet when we went, which was an added bonus.

We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening which was delicious - a bit pricey but that was to be expected. Really good, attentive service from the staff in the restaurant and the bar staff when we went to the lounge area for after-dinner cocktails.

Only downside was our room on the second floor was directly next to the lift - wouldn't have bothered me if it hadn't been that one of the lifts was very loud and made a groaning sound every time it went up or down.

All in all had a great time and would recommend for a short stay or using the spa deal, which I found to be reasonable value.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Dear Nic,
Thank you so much for your recent review in relation to your overnight Spa stay here at the Holyrood.
Overall I am delighted you had a fantastic stay with us and I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the team. I am glad you found the room comfortable and also the food in the restaurant to be delicious.
I can only apologise for the noise from the lift, we have just had the shoes on the cart replaced and they were bedding in which did cause the lift to be a little noisy over a couple of days and I am sorry this disturbed you.
I am delighted you would recommend and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind reagrds

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights & I could not fault it. The staff were helpful & friendly and the rooms were spotless. We opted for breakfast which was amazing, plenty of choices & the staff were happy to help with any requests. I would definitely stay again as it's close to everything but not too close to hear all the bars & shops.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Thank you so much for your recent 5 star review it is very mush appreciated.

I am delighted to hear you had a great time with us and you could not fault anything. I am pleased you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the rooms spotless. Our breakfast is fantastic and sets you up for the day.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and I hope you have a fantastic festive period.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Unfortunately we didn't have the best of experiences, booked in early as we travelled up on the train, staff very friendly. Left cases in room and left heating on to come back to a nice cosy warm room, unfortunately that did not happen room still freezing cold heating not working. Rang reception to be moved to an executive room, again couldn't make it up heating dials broken in this room porter very apologetic said nothing could be done would speak to reception. Again contacted reception by this time was getting annoyed not the night we had planned in Edinburgh. Eventually moved to another room along corridor, had to ask for some type of recompense as felt nothing was going to be offered. Receptionist did agree to giving free breakfast x 2 which in hindsight I would never have paid £18 for anyways. Eventually we managed to get some heat in room. and decided to go for a sauna and swim, spent 10 minutes trying to find member of staff for towels as nobody on reception, was in the process of ringing reception when member of staff came along. We did get some towels however as we were arriving in the pool area some gentleman stated "Mind the Pools not warm" well he was right it was chilly. Decided to go into sauna only to be informed that it was going to be of for a while due to maintenance. Obviously this wasn't to be our lucky night i suspect !!!. The manager did come down and see us at breakfast and apologised but all the damage had been done the previous night !! Cant fault the staff for trying but cant believe that and executive room and the original room both had broken heating and the pool was so cold with both sauna rooms not in use. Not the trip you expect when you pay a lot of money to get there and to stay !!! Surely staff must have had complaints about these rooms it is winter !!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank lucieSunderland

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent visit and once again I can only apologise for the shortfalls when it came to the heating in your room.

After speaking with you in the morning at breakfast you are aware this is something I am working on to rectify in relation to some of the rooms and I am sorry you were affected. It was also not ideal we had issues with the pool area when you were staying which I can see meant for you one heating thing after another.

I am pleased the room you finally received was comfortable and I hope you enjoyed the bottle of wine with our compliments.

I am very happy with your comments regarding the team who are a great asset to all our guests and I am glad you found them all very friendly.

I hope you have got your heating at home resolved and also your door lock and I hope you have a fantastic festive period.

I will be sure to be in touch so we can get the chance to welcome you back and hopefully turn your opinion around when it comes to the Holyrood.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Some years ago we were trapped in the lift for 2 hours. We swore never to return. Yes well, life's too short to hold a grudge....
Booked two nights in the Holyrood in a Feature King room, as under normal circumstances feature rooms are better appointed. Not at the Holyrood. No bath - shower only. On asking reception if we could be upgraded to a room with a bath (as an Elite member, that elusive upgrade should have been offered anyway...) we were told that not even the suites have baths. We could downgrade to the next level down, but no refund. Macdonald Hotels really need to make their websites clearer on room amenities; managing guests' expectations is essential. Disappointment of bathroom (shower room?!) facilities aside, the stay was very pleasant. The food and drink was exceptional. The new bistro offering is a masterpiece - we ate in the restaurant on the first night, and the lounge on the second night. The barman who was on duty both nights (18th and 19th Dec) was very knowledgeable, creating cocktail masterpieces from our preferred tastes. The hotel is conveniently located, close to the city centre yet that little bit distant from the noise. Wifi is patchy up on the sixth floor, but reliable in bar area.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Thank you so much for your honest feedback in relation to your stay with us at the Holyrood. I take all feedback very seriously both positive and negative as it's a great tool to help improve the offering for our guests.
Firstly I am delighted you enjoyed your dining experience, Paul Tamburrini and his team have really elevated the food offering and I am glad you got a chance to experience this.
The bar staff are a great asset to the team here at the Holyrood and again this is an area that the service level has really improved and all out guests are made to feel relaxed while enjoying a drink or two.
I have taken on all your comments in relation to the room on board and I will be sure to review the information that is being offered on the website so it is in keeping with the experience being offered.
I do hope the lack of bath in your room does not deter you from returning in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

My mother, sister and I were kindly offered 2 treatments as a gift at your hotel. Although originally this was meant for the Roxburgh at the west end of Princes Street, we were shifted here due to their ongoing refurbishments.

I arrived on time to be told that instead of having the pre arranged treatment of a deep tissue massage, I was to choose from either one 55 min treatment or two 25 minute sessions. I opted for the freestyle massage and a shellac pedicure both of which were to take 25 minutes. The massage was fine in terms of technique, pressure etc. Although I couldn't help but feel a bit distracted by the constant noise from people passing.

Then came the pedicure. The girl started by filing my toenails after I'd selected my colour. I must also note that this was done while the lights were still dim from the massage (surely not advisable if you're painting a tiny area like a toenail?) But I thought "oh, she does this for a living, she must be qualified/experienced." After conferring with my mother, who had the same treatment from a different therapist, she had to have her manicure repainted it was so poorly done and her pedicure is pictured below. This image was recorded in the changing room of their spa. We were told that sometimes some of the paler colours didn't come out as well.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Hannah W
Andrew B, Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Dear Hannah,
Thank you so much for your honest feedback in relation to your visit to the Spa here at the Holyrood.
I am disappointed to read your feedback as this is by no means our usual standard and I will be sure to address your feedback with the team.
I will ask Olivia my Spa Manager to get in touch with you as I would very much like the opportunity to show you the true Holyrood Spa experience.
I hope you have a fantastic festive period and we will be in touch shortly.