All reviews juniper bar princes street train station british hotel ihg hotels aveda toiletries literary theme complimentary snacks travelling by train excellent location walk in shower wardrobe space the hotel offers tourist sites lovely hotel building site scott monument
Reviewed 21 November 2017

A Strange mix of high and low quality. The restaurant was the highlight of the experience with a lovely menu, well prepared, beautiful surroundings and fantastic service, (thanks especially to Craig). The location cannot be beaten and suited perfectly for a theatre trip, traveling by train. Bar and bar staff were also very good.
The rooms look nice on the surface but are showing signs of wear and tear and the housekeeping was disappointing. If we hadn't already unpacked I'd have asked to move when I saw the toilet hadn't been cleaned properly. As it was, I cleaned it myself in the interest of time, thinking everything else at least seemed to be in order. I don't expect to find holes in the sheets in an IHG hotel, nor specks of blood on the bathroom curtains. Bit of a let down on the overall experience which is a shame as it could have been impressive.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Stephen W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh - Princes Street, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Dear scotchmist428883

Many thanks for your recent review.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience in Twenty Princes Street and I know Craig will be even more pleased to see how much he contributed to this.

Sorry to hear that we missed out on a 5* review with some basic housekeeping errors which we will address with the team immediately.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

The hotel is a surprising gem that has a lot to offer. It's not ideal for families, but for singles and couples it's great. It's across the street from the Waverley Train Station and underground mall, and on busy Princes Street, and in walking distance of most things. (HINT: To get to the hotel from the station, do not exit on Market Street! Go the other direction and then just cross the street. Otherwise you'll have to walk around the station and cross Market Bridge to get there.) The Hop On/Hop off buses are also available to pick up across the street, too, and New Town is a few blocks behind it. Old town is right across the bridge.

When you walk up to the entrance it doesn't see like much (just a doorway with a sign!), but once you walk in and go up you realize it's a charming establishment.
Aside from the location, the hotel offers cozy rooms and large showers. My room (301) had a back wall of cut books and a window looking out to Princes Street and a great few of the Old Town, including the castle. There were free snacks in the minibar and Aveda brand toiletries. These are all bonuses that were much appreciated. The staff was friendly and the room cleaned well. The heat was warm enough without being stuffy. There was a notice about the availability of earplugs (Princes Street can get busy, especially on weekends), but I had no problem sleeping whatsoever, and I'm an insomniac.

I was there during a slow November weekend, so the restaurant wasn't really full. But the food was good, and the breakfast (if you paid for it) included a full buffet spread of continental breakfast items ranging from fresh breads and charcuterie to berry smoothies, fruits, and other things. Your breakfast also includes a hot meal option, ranging from porridge to eggs and bacon and other items. I thought the amount of money I paid was well worth it...it would sustain me until mid-afternoon. The free snacks (including bottled water) I took with me during the day or munched on when relaxing in the evening. If you don't want to pay for breakfast, COSTA is across the street for your coffee/pastry needs, and there are plenty of other coffee shops throughout the overall area.

I had a thoroughly good time in Edinburgh, and the hotel was a big part of this. I feel that it was a very good deal. I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter, but rooms facing Prince street or side streets have great views.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Melissa C

Dear craftyphd

Many thanks for your detailed review. Lots of comments on here that will help travellers who are unfamiliar with Edinburgh or who just need some more advice on the details of our location.

We have a lot of added extras that we like to surprise our guests with and its really nice to see them recognised within a guest review.

I hope we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

If it's a great location you are looking for then this hotel should be definitely one on the list. It's right opposite the train station so super convenient for anyone who's coming via train. Hotel also has a nice buzzy bar called Juniper which is a nice place to hang after a long day walking and we did walk a lot in this charming city. Hard to fault this hotel, staff were nice friendly and helpful, house keeping cleaned the room well and early enough. Only issue is that there would be a nasty smell in the bathroom in the mornings and when we returned in the evenings (presume when not in use) which probably came out of the drains. All in all solid hotel and I would consider staying here again if I visited Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerDude

Dear TravelerDude

Thanks for posting your review, we're really pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.

Juniper is a great place to relax, whether it's for morning coffee, or evening cocktails. Glad you enjoyed spending time enjoying it.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of nights. The rooms are very nice, I love Aveda toiletries and the dining room has a lovely view over to the old town plus the breakfasts are cooked to perfection. The decor is tasteful and regal in feel.
The only reason to drop a star was because there was dried blood on my sheets, pillow and duvet so, although they had been washed in, it looked like someone had cut themselves shaving and got into bed. When I told them they apologised and changed the bedding but I don’t think I should have had to ask really as it should have been spotted when the bed was made.
The location across from the station is great. I flew into Edinburgh and hopped straight on the Airport Express bus so it terminated right opposite the hotel. Couldn’t have been more convenient.
For looking around it’s a 5 minute walk to the Golden mile and a 5 minute walk to the George street attractions and the Galleries

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank lisa T

Dear lisa T

Delighted to read so many positive comments about your visit, but very sorry to hear that we missed something which affected your overall score.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

We stayed here twice on our travel through Scotland, first for 4 days and then the last day before flying home. Location is brilliant on Princes street opposite Waverley station and walking distance to so many attractions. The staff were friendly and helpful with our luggage as reception is on first floor. Our room on the second floor had wonderful views over Princes street and Waverley station. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom modern with a great shower and the Wi Fi worked well. We had breakfast and dinner many times and enjoyed the food and ambience. Restaurant Twenty has a high standard with professional service. When we returned for our last night we were given an upgrade to a fifth floor room which was more spacious. The staff were amazing and we compliment the management. Will definately return.

Room Tip: higher rooms are better. Fifth floor the best
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear beheaded c

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location, the bedroom/bathroom, Twenty and most of all, the helpfulness of the team.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.