All reviews honeymoon suite continental breakfast quiet street huge bathroom high ceilings mini fridge york place staff at reception double room stayed for one night george street city centre within easy walking distance tea and coffee visiting edinburgh royal mile sinks
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I stayed at Ballantrae Hotel for a weekend - the hotel standard is OK, but its location is excellent - this part of New Town offers amazing restaurants, cozy pubs and is in walkable distance to most major sights.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissBundgaard
Management360, Manager at Ballantrae Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Many thanks for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and found the location perfect.
If you would like to stay again, make sure to check out the best possible rates on our website, and the exclusive promotions on our website.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I booked 4 rooms for 3 nights at the Ballantrae Albany Hotel at massively inflated prices which we expected as it was during the Edinburgh Festival to which I had invited 3 elderly friends from France and Norway. The conditions of the hotel were nothing like it appeared on their website - the photographs DO NOT depict the way the hotel is now - tired, badly run (Manager is Len McCarthy - couldn't have been less helpful or polite if he tried). The hotel insists on payment on arrival (despite having paid a deposit of almost £1000 at time of booking) so if you are unhappy with your stay, the manager basically doesn't show his face and they already have your money - WIN/WIN - for the hotel!!
I felt sorry for the Reception staff as they were left to take all the flack from the guests (there were many complaints from many guests that weekend). Alex & a Spanish employee on Reception tried their best but they were fighting a losing battle.
I became anxious as soon as we walked in and saw Ironing Boards and Irons being stored in the Reception area in full view of guests checking in! This reflected the general shoddy state of the place. I had booked an Executive Double Room for us - the radiator didn't work, the room looked like it had been furnished from a 1970's auction sale, the toilet didn't flush properly, there was nowhere in the bathroom to put your toiletries hence the complimentary toiletries and the glasses for you to use were all stored on top of the cistern!!, the wardrobe was dusty on the inside, no safe for your valuables and the curtains were filthy! At one time there had been a glass shelf in the bathroom as the attachments for the shelf were still on the wall but the glass shelf had never been replaced. At breakfast (which was included) there was no hot food available whatsoever but the rather large bug on my side plate seemed happy enough in his surroundings. I did bring this to the attention of a member of staff (called Monica, I believe) who said it had been because the windows had been opened and this "had never happened before". The same woman had a right laugh at our expense the next morning when we arrived too late for breakfast and the glass door into the breakfast room was locked.. she stood on the other side of the door and told us we couldn't have anything to eat. When she thought we had left, she went into the kitchen and started telling her colleagues what had happened. Her face was a picture when she came back out of the kitchen and saw me through the glass door making a video of her & her colleagues having a right good laugh at our expense.
I have NEVER been so disappointed in a hotel and I was absolutely embarrassed that I had invited these life-long friends of my parents (in their 80's) to this dump in the beautiful capital city of our Scotland, run by an Irish man who absolutely does not give a damn.
As the Albany is part of the Ballantrae Group, I would imagine that all hotels are run in the same manner - no care and attention whatsoever. My background is hospitality so I know when there is none - FOR GOODNESS SAKE, do yourself a favour - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. The Albany Hotel didn't manage to ruin our trip to Edinburgh but we spent as little time at the hotel as possible. It was dirty & untidy, shoddy, badly run, staffed with some (but not all) rude people who didn't give a damn about their guests. Was in a great location for the city centre though and apart from that, I can't think of anything else good to say about the place..

Room Tip: To choose a good room - choose a different hotel altogether!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank mslainey700

We are very disappointed to receive this review, as we allocated your rooms close together as requested on check in, and fixed the minor issues you mentioned with your room immediately after you arrived.
One of the mornings you and your group arrived much later after breakfast service had stopped. If you had arrived shortly after the time it finished we could have arranged something, but it was such a late stage that all the other guests had finished and left, and the staff had cleared.
If you would like to contact the Hotel Management we would be happy to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

This was an okay hotel for a short 3 night business stay. I didn't expect much due to the reviews, but it was fine. Old fashioned and a bit rough around the edges. Scuffs on walls and doors, carpets not as clean as they could be and so on. Room was a good enough size - basement room was quite stuffy. Would be very hot in a hot summer. Couldn't feel less boutique - doesn't really have any charm to it, doesn't feel special or quirky enough. WiFi in rooms didn't work for me at all on the basement level. Wires hanging out of walls, wobby door knobs, that sort of thing. Lots of noise from the room above due to the creaking floors which can't really be helped in an old building. Good location.

Room Tip: Top floor to have no one above you!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay.
We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel - next time, if you would prefer a room on a higher floor, please request this at your time of booking and we will do our best to arrange this for you.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

This is a really nice hotel. Very convenient location, comfortable rooms but the absolute best thing is the staff. They really are utterly lovely. So helpful and cheerful they made the short time I was in the hotel thoroughly enjoyable.

Big thanks to the man at reception who was brilliant with directions.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank SBsTA_3791

Many thanks for your 5 Star Review. We are glad that everything was perfect for you.
If you are to stay with us again, make sure to check out the exclusive offers on our website and Facebook page, where you will also find the best rates.
We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Had 3 days here and we both enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a great location for everything. This is truly a fantastic city. The room (409) was large with a fantastic bathroom. The self serve continental breakfast had a varied and plentiful choice. We also found the staff extremely helpful, and knowledgeable.
The only criticism was the amount of dust on everything. I get the impression that the housemaids are not being thorough enough with their day to day dusting. However I would stay again.

Room Tip: No lifts, so if you struggle with stairs look elswhere
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aguerrooo

Many thanks for your review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and will stay with us again in the future. Next time, before you book, make sure to check out the best possible rates on our website and exclusive offers on our Twitter and Facebook Page.