“Five Stars from the North-East of England.”
Review of The Piemaker

The Piemaker
Ranked #5 of 35 Bakeries in Edinburgh
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 10
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: With over 30 different meat, veggie and sweet fillings we have something for everyone. For a quick bite on the run, a hearty lunch or a filling dinner the variety available make its a place for everyone. Quality coffee, soups, burgers, baguettes, cakes, doughnuts and of course PIES!
Reviewed 1 week ago

Hats off to the Piemaker for some truly delicious pies, I know pies very well as I'm a Geordie and these are some of the finest pies I have ever eaten. I suspect the pastry may be made with lard, if not kudos for making them taste as good without. I have tried pies, pasties and sausage rolls from this place, we visited 2017 and April 2018 and there has been no change to the amazing quality. I won't lie, I am a bit of a thrifty traveller as Trip Advisor calls me, but I also like to think I know good food- especially pies and everything I have ordered here has been delicious hot or cold. What has to be said about Piemaker is that the shop is absolutely dedicated to having a really interesting and in some cases innovative menu. My girlfriend is very fond of the macaroni and cheese pie and I myself tried their mini cottage pie which was even more scrummy than it sounds. Definitely pop in if you like pies, I guarantee it won't break the bank either. Do take cash however as I don't think they ever accept debit cards, they haven't in the 7-8 times I have visited. Staff are kind and approachable and usually a good laugh, cannot recommend enough.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

As students visiting Scotland, we wanted to keep eating as cheap as possible and we were amazed by what you could get for the price here! I am also a vegan so the great vegan options here were really appealing (5 vegan options the day we went). We managed to get a soup, a shepherds pie, 2 vegan bakes and 2 cans of irn bru all for under a tenner!

Seating isn’t great but for a small lunch/snack place what do you expect?!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I visited the place on March 2018. Best concept ever! Great pies at a low price. Great for lunch or a quick snack. A must visit as a snack-pit-stop between bars in the evening.

I haven't stop talking/dreaming about these pies ever since

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We wanted to try some Scottish pies and think this place can be a hit or miss. We ordered 3 pies to share and they were quite cheap.
The steak pie was pretty good, so was the haggis with a crunchy crust. But the third one was disappointing. I forgot the name, it was "scotch" something, the meat looked quite sludgy and tasted not so great.
So you might get lucky or not depending on what you order.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Piemaker is not a Michelin star restaurant. But you knew that already. What I love about this place is that it knows precisely what it’s about. Quick, tasty pies and pastries, good prices and absolutely excellent service (at least when I have visited).

The selection of food on offer is good. There’s the usual array of filled pasties, pies and rolls. Also, almost uniquely to here, there’s a decent range of vegetarian pies and pastries. The food is cheap: not just for central Edinburgh but by UK standards more broadly. You could buy the shop with a tenner.

What really struck me about here was the service, though. It was terrific. The guy behind the counter knew his local patrons. He was charming, a bit edgy and generally attentive and amusing. The atmosphere was friendly.

Piemaker is piemaker. But that sort of good service, a mixture of local knowledge with just good manners, is so refreshing. Also, it proves that courtesy costs absolutely nothing!

There are better independent bakeries in Edinburgh. But if you’re near Piemaker and you’ve only a few pounds in your pocket, go in and be treated like a local. It’s a better experience than you’d expect!