“All good”

Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 36
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Edinburgh may be teeming with French restaurants but very few are as authentic as L���Escargot Bleu. Gaining dedicated fans from the moment its doors opened, this place owes less to what a French restaurant should be than to what a French restaurant is ��� as any visitor to the little bistros of Parisian back streets and off-the-beaten-track towns will tell you. The haphazardly put together surroundings, dotted with Edith Piaf posters and furnished with checked clothed tables, only hints at what the menu has to offer. So true to real French eating, the menu is very nearly unbelievable with snails cooked in piquant garlic, steaks smothered in cheese-heavy sauces and anything else you���d care to imagine being sent out of any good kitchen in Perpignan, Poitiers or Pontivy served without a hint of irony.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The restaurant is an attractive place with a real French feel to it. We were well received by very professional staff. Food was excellent with good presentation and choice for the low priced lunch menu. The staff also knew who had ordered each course which is good. I had the organic vegetable risotto which was delicious as were the mussels.

1  Thank DaoHaddington

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Well what a treat! Our party of 6 was made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Lovely attentive Maitre D and waiting staff. My steak tartare was amazing. I then had the hake with risotto rice which was delicious. The atmosphere is relaxed and just what we were looking for. Creme Brûlée was magnifique!

1  Thank ninaseb1969
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our second visit to the restaurant and we were again very impressed by the food and service. This time we stopped for a quick lunch on our way to the airport and were pleased we had booked as it filled up very quickly whilst we were there. The lunch menu was such good value for money and the accompanying wine was a very nice Malbec which went really well with our food. The produce is always locally sourced and in season and makes for an ever changing but consistently good menu. I don't eat dessert but my husband raves about the creme brulee which he says is the best ever!
We will definitely be back the next time we are up in Edinburgh

1  Thank Kate J
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked a table for lunch time on a freezing Monday, for a quick lunch on the way to the airport for our flight home, having visited my Mum and family for a long weekend. This was a return visit and we were once again warmly welcomed. Service had only just started so it was quiet and we were quickly served. We chose from the excellent value set lunch menu. The starters were fine, which consisted of a smoked herring salad and two soups. L’escargot Bleu has an ever changing menu and has some quite unusual dishes so sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best, which usually results in pleasant surprises but unfortunately on this occasion we were disappointed, two of us opted for duck confit and black pudding done in the style of a cottage pie but it was very disappointing, the texture was claggy but dry and the ratio of black pudding to duck meant that the black pudding totally overpowered the duck. We ordered a portion of vegetables to accompany the dish, which was fortunate as otherwise it would have been far too dry and still would have benefited from some sauce or gravy. We did not complain as it was simply not to our liking and we will visit again and would recommend others to try L’escargot bleu as there are plenty of other dishes to choose from!

1  Thank travelpassion
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My friend was in Paris sending me photos so I decided to go to L'Escargot bleu to have my own french experience. It was wonderful. I love the terrines always delicious with lots of extra cornichons given to you in a huge container! I had the Gorgie Farm pork which was delicious all washed down with a pricey but amazing Muscadet. And of course amazing service from Sebastian. Thank you.

1  Thank SBLIA