“Terrible food and a long wait”

Wanderlust Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #865 of 2,775 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I visited this Bistro with my partner for some breakfast on our last day in Edinburgh. My drink was served in a dirty glass and after a very long wait we got the sausages on a bread roll which we had ordered. The roll was dry as a bone and had not ketchup or sauce, and the sausages were terrible catering sausages which tasted cold and mealy.also some cakes which we had for dessert were frozen and tasted awful.overall our bill came too nearly 17.00 it is an overpriced place which is best avoided.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We stopped in here today because it was pretty close to our hotel on the Royal Mile. I know good food and this I'm afraid was not it. My partner ordered Irn Bru and the glass she was brought was quite frankly filthy so she had to use the one clean side to drink out of it. (We are not big complainers.) I ordered the breakfast tea which was extremely weak despite the brewing time I gave it and it was served with demerera sugar which should not be used with a black tea, demerera sugar works well in coffee and in cakes but NOT in tea. We both ordered breakfast rolls with sausage, I hasten to call it a sausage roll as that is something a little different in England. The sausages were likely frozen due to the time we waited for them and they were certainly low meat catering sausages and if you must reply to this Wanderlust do not try and deny this, I know when a sausage has a low meat content and this could not have more than 20% meat as it was very mealy. The bun/roll was huge and dry and I would not put the finest sausages on this roll. We were given a tiny cube of butter to spread on the roll which would never have worked so I asked for some ketchup and we were brought a small thimble of ketchup and we had to gingerly scrape this onto the sausages with a butter knife. We wanted to give this place a good chance so we had already ordered dessert, myself a praline fudge cake and my partner a slice of carrot cake. The praline fudge cake was one of those cakes which was layered but every layer tasted the same, not of chocolate and certainly not of fudge- I suspect this was frozen as the taste matched frozen and defrosted cakes I'd tasted in the past. My partner was not overly impressed with her carrot cake either. Both cakes were served with a dollop of squirty cream with a garnish of... basil??? When I initially spotted this herb I thought it must have been mint but when I smelled it... yes, unmistakably basil. The servers are very good, but the waiting time for atrocious food is dreadful. Our bill for this came to almost £20 and let me make one thing clear: this is not even nearly worth it. Go to Pappii on the other side of town and order some waffles with a delicious smoothie or a fantastic hot drink and you will pay £15-ish for two people, do not visit this place just because it's on the Royal Mile, most people are caught out by these Tourist traps but we know Edinburgh very well and were not overly impressed.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Had a good breakfast (slightly slow service) but were confused by differing info on the wall menu and the printed one. Different prices (though we seemed to be charged the lower one), a slightly different selection listed, and, crucially, missing info about what was available at what time, meaning one of us chose something that turned out to be unavailable before midday and had to choose again in a hurry, later wishing we'd had more time to think. The food was generally good and fresh and well cooked.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

A small, sweet cafe in a wonderful location on the Royal Mile. Plenty of choice for hot drinks and food. Didn't eat much, but scones and tea were delicious.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Stopped in for breakfast and only one young man was working. We were the only table for a good 15 minutes and he was accomodating of allergies, but we asked for a very small thing and it took 20 minutes. We waited and waited. No idea what happened and my husband had to directly ask for his change. Bathrooms were freezing and uncomfortable! Food was good, but everything else was just bizarre.