New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Apex Waterloo Place Hotel

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #29 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Tallahassee, Florida
“Terrific service at Waterloo Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I traveled to Edinburgh for the first time at the end of June for a conference and some leisure travel. The Apex Waterloo was recommended by two colleagues who stayed there the prior fall during a conference. The hotel was terrific! The location is great. We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning and the "American pancakes" were delicious and the service was good. We ordered room service one evening and the menu had just what we were craving at 9:30 at night (I recommend the brie, bacon, and cranberry panini - yum!). The front desk staff were helpful all through the stay. Unfortunately, my husband forgot his expensive sunglasses in the room as hurried to leave at about 4am (don't ask why he traveled to Scotland with sunglasses...) and we didn't realize he was missing them until we got back to the U.S. We called the hotel and were transferred to the head of housekeeping to whom we described the sunglasses. She said she didn't see them but took our number and, sure enough, a few days later she called to say they were found. We got them in the mail today. I highly recommend the Apex Waterloo if you are in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had to go to Edinburgh for a three day/two night conference/social occasion so had to fork out for a hotel myself. This place is pricey but it seems the norm for central Edinburgh and actually one of our party stayed in the Missoni, where I think he got far less for his money than I did! Also contacted the hotel to price match a rate I found online and they did so even better value I think :)

For me the room is key in a hotel and this was amazing! I was on the fifth floor, not sure if that is a more exclusive floor but the room seemed to be the basic I had booked. If this is basic though I was really impressed! Massive soft bed, great decor, awesome bathroom with massive sunken bath and seperate shower - complete bliss! I would never stay in a hotel without a bath and this is why I thought Missoni (and a fair few other central hotels) were taking the mickey with their prices. Great storage facilties and great hairdryer too! I was concerned about this being a girly girl but decided to gamble and not take mine. I made the right decision - 1800w with a nozzle, which is what you need if you have long hair like mine!

Elemis toiletries, top quality biscuits and a room tray full of hot chocolate, herbal tea sachets (which I have not been provided with in a hotel room yet), coffee and tea etc. In room safe too which was handy and a big flat screen tv! It might sound sad but I could have happily spent more time in my room and must've had at least 3 baths during my two night stay O_o

Breakfast was included in my room rate and that was also very well cooked and there was a great selection on both days. On the second day I made it down quite late at 10.45am but the staff didn't raise an eyebrow and served my choice of hot breakfast immediately. I also took fruit and a pain au chocolat. Lovely.

Check in was smooth and easy, staff throughout my stay were so friendly and helpful. There were one or two girls that were a bit cold/stand offish but everyone else made up for them. Check out was also quick, despite there being a big queue waiting to get out! They also stored my luggage and were very non judgemental when I returned a spoon I had taken from my room to eat cake - check out Patisserie Valerie just round the corner on North Bridge St I think, if you stay as it has incredible desserts.

All in all I would love to stay here again, in hindsight I should have booked an extra night to see more of the city. I told a member of staff I would love to come back and he seemed pleasantly surprised, not sure why as it's a brilliant place but maybe they are too used to it to realise themselves. I did not use the spa as I had no time but would again.

Room Tip: Fifth floor, very quiet and no noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LotusQueen
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We booked this hotel last minute as our plans had changed and we arrived in Edinburgh a day earlier than expected. Our last minute online booking was upgraded on checkin to an absolutely stunning room. The bed was large and sinfully comfortable. The bathroom was enormous with a large free standing soaker tub and a spacious shower. We had the best night's sleep of our entire 12 day road trip. We were sorry to have to leave and go to our more budget accommodations for the remainder of our week in Edinburgh. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I've stayed at the other three Apex hotels in Edinburgh but this was my first stay at Waterloo Place. Got off to a good start when my room was upgraded. The room was beautiful and the bathroom wonderful, with a large walk-in shower and a separate bath tub which was so deep, I floated. Breakfast was tasty and service good. My stay in the hotel was for a conference and the conference facilities proved satisfactory also. Location-wise,its hard to beat for access to Waverley Station and the city centre. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I booked this hotel for a Friday and Saturday night stay having had a good experience at an Apex in London years ago and was not let down by my choice. The hotel is situated a 5 minute walk from an exit of Waverly station which was ideal as we had traveled up from Peterborough by train. In addition is located a stones throw away from a shopping centre (St James' Shopping), Calton Hill, the main shops, restaurants and bars along George Street as well as not being far from Princes Gardens, the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle.

From the outside it does not look like much but inside it is elegant and modern whilst not being brash and overbearing. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and always were looking to answer any questions we had while offering a smile in the process. Our room was very well furnished and smart with a comfortable bed and massive widescreen TV with a good selection of channels. The room was slightly let down by the view which was non-existent as ours was inward facing but who goes to a hotel for such a short stay for the view out of their window!

An added bonus of the trip was a pool with sauna and steam room (as well as a gym which I did not use!), usually I would not bother with such facilities in the UK but this time I did and was happy with what was there. The setup again was very modern and clearly recently refurbished / installed.

With a preference to eat out we only had one breakfast in the hotel which while expensive (£15 for a full english, £7.50 for american style pancakes) was tasty and served in a lovely restaurant with a great selection of breakfast options.

In all in all the hotel was expensive (at over £100 per night but in terms of Edinburgh this seems the norm) but well worth staying at.

Room Tip: If you value a view ask for an outward facing room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple