“Excellent Steakhouse”

Chop House Market Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop House Market Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #294 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$ 33 - US$ 80
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Chop House Market Street was established in August 2016 following the success of Chop House Leith. We have a strong focus on beef provenance, selecting only the highest grade of steak which is dry-aged in-house then cooked over an open flame, charcoal grill. Our first class steak offering is backed up by an extensive wine list from around the world and exceptional cocktail list.
Reviewed 30 April 2017

Craving a big chunk of red meat, we found this highly rated place (the second of a pair in the City, I think) not far from our hotel and made a reservation. It was a treat. The dining room was comfortable, service professional, dry-aged beef of high quality, sides perfectly executed, and the bar knew how to make a dry martini. It's a steakhouse, and a good one, which means they have a vegetarian option and some fish, but its really a place to go for beef. In you are in central Edinburgh and in the mood for it, give this place a try. It's not cheap, but it won't disappoint you in any regards.

Thank Drew and Maria ... N
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

We booked here as a bit of a last minute thing and I am so glad we did! The steaks are incredible, the wine good, and the salted caramel fondue was the most amazing, yet filthy and unhealthy thing ever!
I would most definitely recommend Chop House to any meat lover!

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Very nice establishment. Small but well decorated with natural stone walls and bare steel. Loved the selection of wines on show in the racks. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Meal was amazing. I had the king prawn cocktail to start that had the bloody Mary sauce which added a nice twist to the usual prawn cocktail. For mains my wife and I had the beef roast and fillet steak that was very tastey. The steak was soo tender. I asked a member of staff to recommend a red wine to go with the steak and it didn't disappoint. Overall I would highly recommend this place. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Went with my wife for lunch for her birthday treat.

First impressions were very good, trendy looking and attentive staff. Noticed it seemed to be a young clientele that day. Certainly the music piped in was very modern. But these old foggies toughed it out.

It is on the expensive side. We had two Rhubarb Fizz cocktails at £8 each as an aperitif. Good selection of wines, again not cheap.

I am not particularly a steak fan, but the way they talked up their steaks so I gave it a try.

My wife had rumped steak (£18) and I had sirloin (£21 I think) both medium rare and they were delicious. So expensive or not I now want to try the other one in Leith.

My mouth is still watering thinking of them

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

Staff welcoming, menu was limited and expensive.
Starters where ok, mussels not the best.
Sirloin steak ok, rib eyes where really good and the fillet although £29 was massive.
Add on the side portion extras and your steak here can easily reach £38, when dining with the kids an expensive option.
However the charcoal grilling was a total hit lovely, but I must say be warned the steaks were not medium well, more like medium rare.
The medium was rare.
So as a tip, whatever you normally go for, go up a level.
We did see someone who returned what was described as a raw steak, we decided not to return them but easily could have, however again they were all eaten so not complaining just making aware.
The dessert of donuts, marshmallow and caramel was pretty impressive and the £33 bottle of wine was nice.
All in all a clean place, staff pleasant, steaks good, charcoal grilling really nice. However not sure we would go back as did feel the place was overpriced.