“Lost it's charm”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Popped in for a quick pint and a bite to eat, it's recently undergone a massive makeover but is now a bit of a pubco's interpretation of a heritage pub and not the Fish of old.
Fish and chips were ok but pricey for a half a fillet of Haddock and a few tripple cooked chips. Not a bad choice of mains but starter choice very limited.

Date of visit: March 2018
4  Thank charles c

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Two rump steak with a bottle of wine was advertised at £19.99. I was charged £29.99 ..I called and was told web site needs to be updated.....prices have gone up since they have reopened after a refurbishment .... it was not worth £29.99

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank shantiredi
Reviewed 26 February 2018

Come here for several pints and food a lot while passing through home with work but the past year or two it has seriously went down hill. Went back just a couple of weeks ago and the quality of the pints, service and cleanliness has declined a fair bit from previous visits and there is a frankly odd smell in the place that I think is coming from the toilet and filtering through the bar. It is a pity has it is a proper old school pub which I really like and there is not many like it left but I will go elsewhere when passing through as it really isn't the same.

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank KDT250817
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Went to the fisherman's for lunch with 3 friends today. Nice cosy atmosphere, service was very good and helpful when we had a spillage at the table. Food was nice enough pub grub, but we were very disappointed by the portion sizes. For almost £10 I got maybe 7 or 8 medium sized pieces of scampi and around 8 fat triple cooked chips. I think I could have counted the number of peas on my plate, really only a smattering. My friend asked for a side order of chips with her macaroni and again only received around 8 chips. I had to ask for extra tartare sauce as only a shallow amount filled in the dish. I'm sorry to say we didn't complain at the time, I would have felt like a fat middle aged glutton making a fuss about it and our waiter was so nice and accommodating. I booked the fisherman's this time after a lovely and very good value meal on their Christmas menu, but today's lunch didn't leave me as satisfied. It's probably saved me a bit of dieting after Christmas, but I wanted to let you know, if you're going to serve triple cooked chips, customers won't be satisfied with a one third portion and you got everything else right so it's a shame.

Date of visit: December 2017
5  Thank Elaine F
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

On another regular visit to The Fish. We received quick service on a busy night - the new menu is delightful - the food was hot and delicious.
Our server Kay was very helpful with plenty of advice about the new menu - she made us feel very welcome.
Great meal. Will definitely come again.

Date of visit: November 2017