Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$60
Travelocity$67
Vio.com$60
Trip.com$65
1,006 results
All reviews self drive dining room evening entertainment coach trip entertainment room hotel grounds public areas weekend break ground floor buffet style first floor enjoyable weekend restaurant staff lovely break waiting staff lovely grounds saturday night
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 November 2022

: Regular and efficient

The Waverley Castle Hotel is situated between Abbottsford and Melrose. There is a lovely back drop to the Tweedy. It is however, a fair walk to both with barely a bus service. However, the taxi fares are very reasonable. Having said that, on a lovely spring, summer, early autumn day the walk would be delightful,

First impression is that this is a well cared fo hotel, the outside is tidy and there is ample parking .

Equally, overall the hotel inside is clean and tidy. There are wide, safe stairs but also a lift so matter which floor, no problem for older guests

On the first evening I discovered that the strip light above the sink was not working. I reported it the following morning, after a couple of days.... nothing ! Told it was on order …. OMG. Should be in stock.
In general, the reception staff were ok. Not great but polite and friendly.

When I arrived , it was at the end of a very long day. As I was in Scotland I kind of expected a Scottish meal on the menu. Equally, I rather expected a couple of Scottish Ales. I discovered that neither was available at that hotel. This so called SCOTTISH hotel does not provide Scottish TV. Unable to watch a Scottish football match. I was not happy but thought it might be an idea to chat at reception. The manager was in reception. To cut along story short he was so disinterested in my concerns. His stance seemed to be that the hotel was there to cater for English visitors. I’m in Scotland, I expected to enjoy Scottish hospitality. (Is that unreasonable? ) Anyway... I suggested strongly that his hotel was an English hotel. He responded aggressively I think the real issue was the managers intransigent, aggressive attitude....
Restaurant : School meal layout. The food that was available was very enjoyable.
Entertainment on Tuesday & Thursday was also excellent. A resonable cross between pop and traditional Scottish.

Room tip: This is a VERY English hotel. However, the location for travellers with transport is excellent.
Date of stay: October 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank L8200PEjamies
Waverley Castle, General Manager at Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2022

Dear L8200PEjamies

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We are glad you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay. With regards to the light in your bedroom - a note was put in to explain a new light had been ordered but would be a few days to be delivered. I am slightly confused about your comments regarding my attitude as I thought the matter was resolved after you apologised for your behaviour the following day. I have taken your comments onboard.

Reviewed 14 November 2022

We weren't expecting four star but having stayed at Coast and Country hotel s before , we expected half decent standards.
Room needed upgrading , paintwork poor and rust on radiators , but wardrobe had empty bottles in it from previous guests and no glasses provided ( not even plastic)
Meal on first night just Ok but as there were less than twenty people in the restaurant , failed to see why we sat with empty plates in front of us for fifteen minutes. We asked for them to be removed which took another five minutes. Breakfast , fried eggs must have been sat there half an hour ,so rubbery ,unedible ! Asked for another , no response just pointed to the ones there. Meal tonight awful. Have photos of burnt burger and bun. My fish pie was served with two lots of potato and two lots of cabbage ! It was so dry , not good at all.
Shame as we would never recommend it to anyone.

Room tip: Not ground floor as we were woken up Sunday morning at 6:00 by van doors banging and people shouting.
Date of stay: November 2022
Waverley Castle, General Manager at Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2022

Dear stefeatkinson
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and we are greatly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have reviewed your comments with the relevant teams to ensure that this never happens again and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations.
Regards

Reviewed 13 November 2022 via mobile

The webpage is absolutely nothing like the hotel, you could describe it more like a run down care home. Dated, worn, dirty looking and horrible green linoleum on the bathroom floor. View from room awful and whole place needs a face lift . Breakfast was ok, basic but edible. Checkout at 10.00am on a Sunday is too early. Even though the rooms are cheap you could get something nicer for the price. Location ok, 20 min walk to town

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Susan H

Thank you for reviewing your stay and we are greatly disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We have noted your comments - our public areas are exactly the same as on the website and the pictures of rooms are from within the hotel too. Had you requested a late checkout this could of been arranged.
We wish you well in your future travels
Regards

Reviewed 13 November 2022 via mobile

Unfortunately we had a hiccup when we first arrived at the Hotel the room had been overlooked. We reported th8s to the manager he couldn't have been more helpful we went into dinner with a complimentary glass of wine and he kept coming in to make sure we were OK real customer service.
The room was very comfortable and the heating efficient which was great as it could get cold at night.
The Hotel itself had grounds where it was nice to walk. I have to mention one thing that gave me great pleasure although not needed on November the room had a fan in wardrobe for those hot summer months. I congratulated the manager telling him also that when I stayed at Warners Hotel I was told I had to butly my own as they didn't supply them aga8n another feather in the cap for The Waverley Castle and its manager

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear bonital486
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. All the team work hard to try and ensure all our guests enjoy their time with us.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 8 November 2022

Very basic. I think the bed was a double, tv was a little small and the window in the bathroom didn't close properly so there was a bit of a draft. Our room was in a part of the hotel where the lighting in the hallway wasn't working. So it was a little dark and creepy to get to your room. Shame check in is at 3pm and check out at 10am - it's actually a bit cheeky.

However the room did get cosy and warm and bed was comfy, the breakfast was GREAT and there is free parking and they do room service. So depending on what you're after from a hotel this could be a nice stay.

Date of stay: September 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Blunstoness
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. The lighting in the corridor was awaiting a local electrician to carry out the works required and has now been rectified. Early check in or late departure can be organised but our normal times fit with many other hotels.
We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast - good to be set up for the day!