“If you're in Oban and want to dine well, eat here!”

Manor House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 96 Restaurants in Oban
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 56
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our complete dinner menu changes daily. You are assured of an excellent choice of fine dishes featuring local meats. Seafood and produce. While the menu is presented as a 5 course prix fixe, if your appetite is less, each course is offered a la carte.
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We took my parents the the Manor House as a pre-Christmas treat, as we won't be together at Christmas this year. We wanted to take them somewhere comfortable, where they'd feel a little spoiled and the menu wouldn't scare them.

We were well received, courteously waited on and enjoyed a splendid 5-course meal which we all enjoyed. Although the menu choice wasn't vast, the food was interesting and varied offering meat, fish and vegetarian dishes. Helpings were sensible, allowing the diner to enjoy each course and feel satisfyingly full rather than stuffed with chips and veg drowned in gravy.

After the meal we were invited to relax in the lounge in front of a blazing fire, where coffee and petit fours were served. The whole evening was a relaxed affair in pleasant surroundings, where the staff were attentive but not overbearing.

With drinks (which are moderately priced) the final bill for four of us was £175. Perhaps not something we'd do every weekend, but worth every penny as a 'treat'.

1  Thank Chris J

Reviewed 9 September 2011

I can't understand why Manor House is listed as an Inn. Oban is sadly short of good hotels but Manor House certainly is one! We have stayed twice in recent years and have on both occasions experienced the same level of good service and attention to detail. This is a small property, with I guess a dozen or so rooms and the staff cover all the bases from arranging taxis, recommendations for days out, directions to local attractions and storing our baggage so we could make the most of our last day. The full breakfast is comprehensive and what one would expect at a good quality establishment in Scotland. Diner is first class with a short menu that changes on a regular basis. Free WiFi, a good bar and guest lounges with great views all only a few minutes’ walk from the centre of town.

1  Thank nickdodger
Reviewed 6 August 2011

All the food was truly delicious and beatifully prepared and presented
Tiny mushroom and fish tartlets with pre-dinner drinks
5 course meal for £38
Starter /soup/sorbet/main course /desert /canapes/coffee
The lobster and the mussels were the among the finest we've had
Very good value for money

Reviewed 24 April 2011

we had been to the Manor House restaurant last Aug and enjoyed it so much we booked again and were not disappointed. the food and service are first class. even my fussy mother in law was impressed!
a small plate of hors D'oeuvre and freshly made bread are served while we pondered over the menu. we had the set evening 6 course meal which is great value at £38. you have the choice of several starters, then one choice of soup, then a sorbet, several main dishes, several sweets and all finished with coffee and peite fours. the full menu changes daily except for the fillet steak. the service was very attentive but not obtrusive. highly recommended.

1  Thank gerbilhoward
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My fiance and I visited the Manor House during a recent trip to Oban. We had got engaged earlier in the day and I booked a table prior to our trip. All went to plan and we celebrated our engagement with a classy, beautiful meal.

The food was extremely good. I'm not an expert but I would class the food as pretty much on a par with that at a Michelin starred restaurant. Traditional British menu I suppose but everything was very nicely cooked. At £37 per person for a 5 course dinner (with plenty of choice between meat, fish, poultry etc.) I think it was very good value too. I had venison steaks which were fabulous.

This is a very traditional kind of place, some might say it is a little too formal or slightly "stuffy". I think this adds to the experience though. My fiance and I found it to be very quaint and all the staff to be friendly and attentive. Which brings me onto the service...like clockwork! By ordering before going to the table (we had a drink and appetisers in the bar - lovely view over Oban bay) the starter was served as soon as we sat down and I don't think there was a gap of more than a couple of minutes between any of the courses.