“Tasty food”

Ranked #17 of 68 Restaurants in Arbroath
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

My family and I went to the coast bar and restaurant for my husbands birthday it was an amazing experience and the food was delicious would definitely come back

1  Thank Lynne E

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Coast is friendly and welcoming, however myself and partner visited during the week and waited 45 for two main dishes.
We didn’t mind waiting but it would have been nice to have been told instead of guessing when the food would arrive.
Staff are all like children - but very friendly.

1  Thank Cometsdad
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I decided to give this place another chance last night, after previously avoiding it for a year and a half and the reason we avoided it for a year and a half, is because on three of the previous four occasions we'd been there there'd been a punch-up.

The food last night was excellent, as was the customer service (as I'd always found the latter to be in the past) and there was nothing wrong with the beer either. I enjoyed that too.

However sure enough and in not too much time another evening at Coast was soured once again, by a group of males walking in and proceeding to be as loud and as obnoxious as possible. I warned my partner (who'd barely even finished her meal and who had her back to them at the time) that one of the males was about to fall on her, but she just shrugged off my protestation and my advice that we switch tables. A couple of minutes after I DID manage to convince my partner to move, a male (pressumably the same one) fell to the floor right where we'd been sat and before you knew it there were bodies everywhere, in what seemed to be some kind of bizarre immitation stunt, accompanied by this incessant cacophony of testosterone and alcohol fuelled noise. When I looked around there were clearly some noticeably concerned and uncomfortable looking faces. So we hurriedly tried to phone a taxi, so that we could get an advance on the one we'd previously booked to come and pick us up later in the evening.

Now as a once upon a time successful business owner (turned musician) myself, I don't believe in judging a business based on the actions of its customers. So I'm not hereby judging Coast based on who (or rather what) comes through its doors. But the response of the woman who at least appeared to be in charge when we brought the incident to her attention, is possibly the most unprofessional response I've ever heard...

She responded by saying "there's nothing I can do". Making Coast in my experience seemingly the first venue with a license to sell alcohol, but which doesn't apparently have the power to ask someone or people to leave, or to at least show some respect for their fellow customers.

My partner (who suffers from chronic back pain) then said that had she still been sat where the first man had fallen, then she would have been fallen ON and the woman responded by saying "If you'd still been sat there he wouldn't have fallen on you".

Then the screaming, the shouting and the aggression got even louder and my partner said "I'm going to phone the Police" and the woman said "Oh no. Don't do that" (as opposed to saying sorry, which might not have been a bad place to start).

We then stood outside to wait for our taxi, to unwind from the stress (of somewhere we ironically went to relax) and about a minute later two young males followed us out, saying to each other as they left "we can't stay in there, it's horrible", before walking away from the venue and going elsewhere.

So we witnessed first-hand and heard straight from the horses mouth, how this venue is deterring decent folk from eating or drinking in its premises, by allowing anti-social behaviour to go unchallenged or unpunished (something I'd suspected was the case before actually hearing it).

If you want some enjoyable food, some good beer, some good customer service and some of the best live music around, then go to this place. However if you don't want to go somewhere which in my experience has an 80% chance of either a fight, or an incident kicking off around you, then avoid this place like the plague.

It is with deep regret that due to the three punch-ups we witnessed in this venue in the past and due to the management's point blank refusal to even ACKNOWLEDGE last night's incident (never mind not doing anything about it), my partner and I (who both live in Arbroath) sadly won't ever be returning.

2  Thank Stewart H
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Visited here today with my girlfriend. I had giant chicken goujons and my gf had a hell burger. Excellent service place very clean and warm. Goujons where really good especially the batter. First visit but won’t be the last

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Two ladies who lunch had the chicken goujons, which were the biggest we've seen, and scampi. Both served with fries. The service was really efficient and we had a friendly waiter. Not bad for price either for the portion size. Nice atmosphere and nobody in a hurry to chase you out. We will return.