“Pre Theatre Meal”
Review of The Old Boatyard

The Old Boatyard
Ranked #20 of 68 Restaurants in Arbroath
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 38
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Beachfront Restaurant Seafood and Angus Steaks Local produce Recommended by Visit Scotland Recommended in Lonely Planet's Ultimate Eatlist
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had been recommended the Boatyard by friends, and 3 of us went there prior to a Remembrance Day Concert marking 100 years since the end of World War 1. We were certainly not disappointed with the quality of the food and the service. Having previously booked a table, we were immediately shown to it and were given the menus. What a choice, we were unable to make our minds up quickly. We were served with our drinks, and the waitress then took our order for the main courses.I had pasta Carbonara in a bacon, mushroom and cream sauce. Previous to ordering I had asked the waitress if there was any garlic in the Carbonara. She went to ask the chef, and came back immediately saying he would cook it without the garlic. It was excellent, nicer than some we have had in Italy. I was asked if I would like Parmesan cheese and when I said yes, it was brought in a small ramekin, so I could put on as much or as little as I liked. Another member of our party ordered the Declaration Fish Pie. When it came it ws in an oval dish with a side salad. It too was delicious. The last member of our party had Chicken with a chilli & chorizo sauce on stir fry vegetables. She asked if the sauce was very spicy, and they said they would put in a small side dish, so she could have as much or as little as she wished. What a nice touch. During the meal a senior member of staff came over to ask if everything was to our liking. We all agreed it was all excellent. Our meal was followed by coffee. This is certainly one restaurant that looks after their customers, ensuring they will return. The staff were all so pleasant, polite and helpful.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

Delightful sea views from inside this very good restaurant and bistro. Comfortable seating and tables, interesting decor with plenty of shipping artefacts. Good choices on the menu and served with charm by the staff. Been a few times despite living 60 miles away - must tell you something!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Very good lobster thermidor - well cooked and the sauce was amazing. All staff very attentive. Good suggestion of white wine from Marco the owner.

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Had to visit Arbroath for a fish & chip fix as now living in the Midlands the quality of fish is poor in comparison. My husband had fish but, although it wasn't on the lunch menu I know they used to do mussels & frites. The guy who greeted and seated us said 'yes,they could do that' so we were two very happy bunnies! The staff have a good positive attitude and it was a pleasure to re-visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

Have eaten at this restaurant many times but thought we would stop off for a bacon sandwich one morning and it was the worst I had ever had, The sandwich arrived toasted which was not mentioned or asked for and consisted of two slices of toasted white bread and one piece of bacon, there was no butter or spread on the bread just dried toast I was offered sauce which came in a bottle with no label on so probably not a branded one. The waitress who had a face on her like a smacked backside disappeared before I could question the lack of some kind of spread on the bread and after it was pointed out that the cream on the hot chocolate was rancid this was replaced by one with no cream and it was pointed out that the table had been reserved for lunch in two hours (how long does it take to eat a dry bacon sandwich?), After I had eaten the bacon and some of the bread my companion paid the bill I found out that the total cost was £15.80 for two hot drinks and what amounted to 4 slices of dry toast and two slices of bacon which is an absolute disgusting price and I think someone should google how to make a decent bacon buttie before they serve anymore to good paying customers

2  Thank mingame2018